PDA

View Full Version : I Love K-lite, Kmd Is Definately Evil

Sabec
12-17-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't even remember when Kazaa came out, but I know as soon as k-lite came out I downloaded it and used it since I was tired of irradicating spyware from my system... but then month after month, more clients who were connecting to me were using the "k-lite master" network participation (ie: the number between 1-1000 that keeps track of how much you upload to download)

This is about the time the kazaa network went to crap for downloading most large files, especially when trying to get a whole TV series or something spanning many gigs. I think Kazaa's "network participation" was a GOOD thing - the ONLY thing I liked about the origional kazaa program, and when you totally ignore network participation, the leechers take over.

In the past couple months I've been using emule and have been able to download hundreds of gigs of files that actually work. Emule uses user "server side" recognition of "network participation" which is fairly ineffective when downloading small files like random mp3's (for which I still use k-lite) but emule works *much* better for large collections of files like TV show series.

What I always wonder is if k-lite had cleared out all the freeware but kept the queue system based on the network participation rating, would the kazaa network be as strong as it used to be? From my personal knowledge of dozens of serious sharers have all switched to other networks like edonkey, emule, overnet, bearshare etc. because they incorporated at least something of a sensible queue system.

asmithz
12-17-2003, 04:03 PM
;) There is a clean KMD 2.6 out now, so sharmen wont win.

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=87721&st=0

Just to let you know

Sabec
12-17-2003, 04:22 PM
That's awesome

but what does that have to do with my post? The new version of k-lite still has "Constant 1000 PL" which is the problem that I was trying to bring up.

asmithz
12-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Well the thing is the PL has nothing to do with it. The fact that K-lite sucks now that Sharmen is kicking off the network is the reason. That is why i gave you the link for the clean KMD 2.6. It dosen't have the problem, and still has the PL cheat.

camille
12-18-2003, 12:26 AM
Agent, based in your experieced, which is better Klite++ or KMD 2.6? Just asking your opinion.

Knightmad
12-18-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Sabec@17 December 2003 - 13:22
That's awesome

but what does that have to do with my post? The new version of k-lite still has "Constant 1000 PL" which is the problem that I was trying to bring up.
I respectfully disagree of your opinion. Before you can think "hey, only another leecher trying to justify his own leechings", I must to say I share files like The Lord of Rings The Two Towers, 3.2 Gbs (4 CDs), and such kind of quality movies. But I remember the old (good?) days when I had only a couple of mp3s ripped from my CDs, and I discovered the P2P yellow brick road (Napster), I started to download as if the files would disapear from the net. Was I a leecher? Should I deserve to get my downloads slower only because I had nothing to share? Of course you can point the serial leechers, who download and hide the files under the "not share any file" option in kazaa, but I prefer to believe that "sharing is caring", no matter if the person in the other side have only one (fake) file or thousands of my favorite movies. But, of couse, I respect your opinion, altought I believe there is network enough avaliable for everyone, and our enemies are not leechers but anyone who want to avoid us to share knowledge.
Respect,
Fernando

Illuminati
12-18-2003, 09:16 AM
The PL system had its problems to begin with - The value of uploading and downloading wasn't the same in that the PL increase via uploading wasn't as much as the decrease due to downloading.

Another problem was that (AFAIK) PL figures were easy to manipulate - Even before K-Lite there were a number of hacks for a 1000 PL. First there were the basic hack tools, then the upload "simulators" to increase the PL "legitimately" (e.g. Rocko's PL system), then there were the more advanced hacks where they could change the PL instantly without being detected.

Fact was that while the reason behind the PL system was commendable, its implementation wasn't the fairest in the world.

There were a lot of reasons behind FastTrack's now near-Hiroshima state - Fake files corrupting d/ls due to no verification used, people renaming files in order to increase that same PL, the seedy parts of the internet shared on the network, not to mention Sharman's involvements with a number of legal bodies. But K-Lite's PL increase wasn't directly one of them.

Sabec
12-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Good points, especially sharing for sharing sake regardless of enduser's participation.

Switeck
12-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Illuminati@18 December 2003 - 04:16
Fact was that while the reason behind the PL system was commendable, its implementation wasn't the fairest in the world.
PL was instituted by Kazaa probably also to minimize Kazaa Lite's ability to download from Kazaa users -- and also minimize Imesh and Grokster as well!

Kazaa's 'footprint' of the fasttrack network soared because of it, at the expense of IMesh and Grokster.

It's almost like Kazaa became a 'leech' of everyone else till the PL cheats came out -- then the situation reversed.

Kazaa felt forced to 'ban' Kazaa Lite because it was leeching 'their' network -- instead of removing/improving the PL system. They tried to destroy a large portion of the network instead of making the whole better.

Kazaa Lite also acted as a 'leech' with its auto search more, especially when left on for >2 minutes. It put a huge load on supernodes, causing connectivity for EVERYONE to go way down. Firewalled users (or connecting TO firewalled users) suffered the most, so it's like file availability just due to that alone dropped to less than 1/4 what it was before -- because many Kazaa/KL++ users on broadband used routers making them firewalled!