PDA

View Full Version : Are Pix Getting Too Big?

mrlessk
12-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Maybe it's just me and my chosen screen resolution but, it seems to me that posted thread pix are just getting larger than necessary. I've already been through the screen-resolution evaluation thing and I am using 800x600 simply because I don't need reading glasses at that size.

here (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=87915) and here (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=87023&view=findpost&p=739499)
are examples of what I'm talking about.

I'm seeing pix over 1400 pixels and, at least for me, they could be smaller and still have the same impact without my having to use the bottom scroll bar to view the pic from left to right.

I've learned when choosing a pic for a thread to first edit and resize the pic to around 500 to 600 pixels or so. This is still good size and allows the full pic to be full screen.

If the concensus is to allow the freedom to post whatever size someone wants then, this is acceptable to me. Not that big of a deal. Just a minor inconvenience.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

mrlessk :)

titey
12-17-2003, 05:51 PM
:huh: It&#39;s not the pixel size that bothers me wif those large images, I don&#39;t mind scrolling........it&#39;s the time it takes to download wif my crappy dial-up connection. <_<
:rolleyes: But I think most people here are broadband users, an&#39; so my inconvenience isn&#39;t important.

I.am
12-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Hello mrlessk,
Coincidently, me again replying to your thread first. I guess we come online at the same time. :)

You are absolutely right about the size of the images and its a little annoying to me as well. But you have to keep in mind that not everyone uploads the pictures. Wherever external hot linking is allowed, people just copy the image address and paste it here. In those cases obviously they dont bother about it.

But I agree, as far as possible people should do it&#33;

ThePlasticSurgeon
12-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Poeple really should resize images to a maximum 800x600* before posting them on a topic. Not because of the size of the files, but because having horizontal scroll bars on a page is fucking annoying. Some image hosts can automatically rezize a picture if you specify it when linking to the pic. You don&#39;t violate any rules if you don&#39;t do this but it&#39;s polite.

*Since the average screen resolution is 1024x768, an 800x600 image will fit in the screen with all the other page elements without creating a horizontal scroll bar.

3rd gen noob
12-17-2003, 06:17 PM
i&#39;ll post whatever size images i like, and there&#39;s nowt you can do to stop me :)

CornerPocket
12-17-2003, 06:20 PM
It&#39;s being discussed as an amendment to the rules, so yes there will be something that can be done about.................still in the discussion stages.......... ;)

cosmic doobie
12-17-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@17 December 2003 - 17:17
i&#39;ll post whatever size images i like, and there&#39;s nowt you can do to stop me
http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/ban.gif

mrlessk
12-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by titey@17 December 2003 - 08:51
it&#39;s the time it takes to download wif my crappy dial-up connection.&nbsp; <_<
:rolleyes: But I think most people here are broadband users, an&#39; so my inconvenience isn&#39;t important.
Yeah, you&#39;re right titey&#33; I didn&#39;t want to go into that part of it. I also have dialup :angry: and usually have time to do some chores while some of those pix are loading :lol:

i&#39;ll post whatever size images i like, and there&#39;s nowt you can do to stop me
and then of course, there are simply those inconsiderate a-holes (not mentioning any names) that would do it simply for the irritation it might create. :P
mrlessk

titey
12-17-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by mrlessk@17 December 2003 - 12:32
Yeah, you&#39;re right titey&#33; I didn&#39;t want to go into that part of it. I also have dialup :angry: and usually have time to do some chores while some of those pix are loading :lol:

That&#39;s why I&#39;ve turned off signatures.... I don&#39;t need to see the same images over an&#39; over, an&#39; it helps a lot. http://piczonline.com/client/titey/yes.gif

:rolleyes: An&#39; if&#39;n someone does post an oversized image, I usually just move on to another thread unless I really want to see it.

DarthInsinuate
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
i don&#39;t think limiting the size of pictures posted is a good idea, seems a bit too much like you&#39;re limiting the freedom of speech

posting big pics should be put in the same category as posted topics named "WTF?"

I.am
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by titey@17 December 2003 - 13:39
:rolleyes: An&#39; if&#39;n someone does post an oversized image, I usually just move on to another thread unless I really want to see it.
You meant unless its in "Sexies Lady" Thread. :rolleyes: :lol:

mrlessk
12-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by titey@17 December 2003 - 09:39

That&#39;s why I&#39;ve turned off signatures.... I don&#39;t need to see the same images over an&#39; over, an&#39; it helps a lot. http://piczonline.com/client/titey/yes.gif
Wow, you&#39;re right&#33; Thanks for the suggestion. I&#39;ll turn off sigs also, they too are getting a little out of hand...shameless self-promotional plugs usually...lol

Also, to put it in a nutshell...we have certain controls (My Controls), options and choices we can make and don&#39;t need to be at the mercy of the whims of other&#39;s. :)

mrlessk
12-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by I.am@17 December 2003 - 09:54

You meant unless its in "Sexies Lady" Thread.&nbsp; :rolleyes:&nbsp; :lol:
LOL...there are exceptions to every rule. :D

mrlessk
12-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@17 December 2003 - 09:54
i don&#39;t think limiting the size of pictures posted is a good idea, seems a bit too much like you&#39;re limiting the freedom of speech
I wholeheartedly agree 100% DarthInsinuate&#33;
I may not agree with how people might compose their posts but will defend to the death :tank:
(well, maybe a paper-cut) their right to do it.

mrlessk :)

muchspl2
12-17-2003, 07:39 PM
I think my grandmother uses 800x600 :lol:

sparsely
12-18-2003, 12:23 AM
surely there&#39;s an auto-resize hack/mod for IPB, eh?

100%
12-18-2003, 03:34 AM
I totally agree
Learn photoshop and learn to
goto-edit-image-resize
(this info was given without any costs)
http://www.monstercable.com/yahooStore/lib/monstercable2/103733RD_tn.jpg

Adster
12-18-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by titey@18 December 2003 - 03:51
:huh: It&#39;s not the pixel size that bothers me wif those large images, I don&#39;t mind scrolling........it&#39;s the time it takes to download wif my crappy dial-up connection. <_< :rolleyes: But I think most people here are broadband users, an&#39; so my inconvenience isn&#39;t important.
ill 2nd that when I was on dial up yes it was a pain in ass if your in the sexy woman thread it would take 10 minutes to load big as images

I remember walking away and getting something to drink waiting each time

balamm
12-19-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@17 December 2003 - 17:23
surely there&#39;s an auto-resize hack/mod for IPB, eh?
There is. Not a mod or hack though, it&#39;s in the config.

They just haven&#39;t set a limit yet.

mrlessk
12-20-2003, 04:18 AM
Thanks everyone, :)
It&#39;s been a couple of days since the posting of this thread and the feedback has been very interesting and varied.. It was never intended as a "Poll" but I found the replies of interest and worthy of note. A wide spectrum of opinions indicates, to me anyway, that there is an issue of freedom of choice vs. courtesy vs. practicality.

The responses pretty much became a "pros" and "cons" on the subject of whether or not to control (voluntarily or otherwise) the size of posted images within these Forums.

Here are a few chosen quotes from you folks that pretty much covers all the bases:

"It&#39;s not the pixel size that bothers me....
....it&#39;s the time it takes to download with my crappy dial-up connection"

"You are absolutely right about the size of the images and its a little annoying to me as well."

"Wherever external hot linking is allowed, people just copy the image address and paste it here."

"People really should resize images to a maximum 800x600* before posting them on a topic. Not because of the size of the files, but because having horizontal scroll bars on a page is f****** annoying."

The...you&#39;re not gonna tell ME what to do quote....

"i&#39;ll post whatever size images i like, and there&#39;s nothing you can do to stop me"
The...biggest argument against quote...

"don&#39;t think limiting the size of pictures posted is a good idea, seems a bit too much like you&#39;re limiting the freedom of speech"
The...possible future solution quote....

"It&#39;s being discussed as an amendment to the rules, so yes there will be something that can be done about.................still in the discussion stages.........."
The...practical suggestion quote....

"Learn photoshop and learn to goto-edit-image-resize"
The...I did this to help speedup page loading (I have dialup) quote....

"That&#39;s why I&#39;ve turned off signatures.... I don&#39;t need to see the same images over an&#39; over, an&#39; it helps a lot."
The...Ultimate solution? quote.....

(surely there&#39;s an auto-resize hack/mod for IPB, eh?) "There is. Not a mod or hack though, it&#39;s in the config. They just haven&#39;t set a limit yet."
I&#39;ve found visiting the KL Forums interesting, informative, entertaining and lots of fun. Listening to voices from around the world and how we feel on certain issues is very satisfying.

This issue on the size of a posted image was simply brought on by, what I considered, "going too far in one direction" and maybe it was time to raise attention to it (just my opinion, I could be wrong).
Ultimately the KL Board will do what it feels is best for all and whatever it decides to do is fine with me.

In the meantime, you the people have spoken&#33;

Happy Holidays everyone&#33;....:newyear:

Regards,
mrlessk :beerchug:

wienerschnitzel
12-20-2003, 07:17 AM
Sometimes bigger is better (i.e. tits)

Other then that thread (or maybe the whole lounge) i the whole pics size limiting would be good.

Also, does the invision hack/config thingy just resize images and would you have to download the whole picture and have you browser just resize it for you. I guess what im getting at is that pics resizing wouldn&#39;t help dial up.

Cotton
12-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Nope

muchspl2
12-20-2003, 07:26 AM
I don&#39;t understand, if people on dial up hate it so much don&#39;t use it
you can turn off pics or you can get a better isp, I&#39;m not resizing the photos I have I&#39;m sorry, if I start a topic I clearly say if 56k shouldn&#39;t click unless they&#39;re going to make a sandwich and come back

mrlessk
12-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by muchspl2@19 December 2003 - 22:26
I don&#39;t understand, if people on dial up hate it so much don&#39;t use it
you can turn off pics or you can get a better isp, I&#39;m not resizing the photos I have I&#39;m sorry, if I start a topic I clearly say if 56k shouldn&#39;t click unless they&#39;re going to make a sandwich and come back
Yep, I agree muchspl2.... f*** em all. 56k users are just lowlifes anyway and probably don&#39;t belong here trying to view our 1400+ megapixel images and should create their own g**d**n Forums. Tell em if they cannot afford to get a high-speed cable or DSL connection to get another job that pays more money and if they don&#39;t live in an area that has DSL or high-speed internet service available tell em to move into a more expensive neighborhood where it is, it&#39;s not MY problem....but, stay out of these Forums if you&#39;re gonna complain, you don&#39;t belong here, you&#39;re not our kind...
....f*** em all&#33;&#33;
Just who the h*** do they think they are anyway?? :angry: :angry:

[B][O][T]
12-20-2003, 08:54 AM
A bit harsh :blink: :unsure:

titey
12-20-2003, 08:55 AM
He forgot to use the tags.
:P

J'Pol
12-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Freeware Resizer (http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/)

This is really good and easy to use. It will resize practically any image type and will do bulk jobs.

All sorts of options are available.

Easy Thumbnails is a popular free utility for creating accurate thumbnail images and scaled-down/up copies from a wide range of popular picture formats. An elegant interface makes it a snap to find your images and select them for processing individually, in groups, or in whole folders, using a simple file selector and built-in image viewer. You can use slider controls to rotate images and adjust their contrast, brightness, sharpness and quality, and check out the results with the built-in viewer.
Key Features
Scale images up or down in batches
Nine resampling filters, including Lanczos3
Sharpen soft images from digital cameras
Real-time preview of target image
Supports the new JPEG 2000 image format
Preserves EXIF data in JPEG images
Supports lossless JPEG rotation
Free software producing quality results