PDA

View Full Version : Are Games Getting Boring?

DWk
12-17-2003, 06:38 PM
ok... heres the deal... we are almost sick of WW2 games like MOH, BF1942, CoD, etc.....

the market of futuristic games is crawled up with star wars games.....

sports games is crawled up with really good simulators but just upgrades from the last release (mostly EA sports)

racing games are getting repetitive (except NFSU, which made a jump from its predecessors....)

and the rest of sci-fi games dont call much of our attention because they are just "kill this monster, kill that monster"...

the only ones that we dont get sick of are games like max payne...which is a twisted, mistery-suspense-action game...

but there arent much...

what do you guys think the next games should be like? i dont see much areas where developers can go to....so what you think they should do?

TheFilePirater
12-17-2003, 06:54 PM
i wanna see u make a better game <_<

but good point :P

DWk
12-17-2003, 06:58 PM
im not saying the games are BAD.... i really love games..... they make em better and better....

but facts on the table.... they ARE getting repetitive....

CadeLaguana
12-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Physics are the future. I say if more action games have better physics, it makes all the better. Picture an advanced Max Payne 3. Using graphics of doom 3 or half-life 2, and you do some jumping onto a table and glass and shit knocks over...yata yata...you get the picture.

I&#39;d kill for a game, fps, or third person, with damn good graphics and...

Picture one level is like this big office building...and the whole building is renderd, every floor&#33; The graphics are amazing...detailed to death...you have a desert eagle and are taking out terrorists and shit...

Ahh hard to spit out what I&#39;m thinking. I mean...I want more hours of gameplay in action games. Make level editing a bit easier(I hate making levels with unreal ed...)

If the game makes you feel there, its a good game. One thing I liked about Max Payne 2 was the detailed rooms. Like when you&#39;re in the upper east side building level thing...you go in all these rooms, they look soo beautiful. Or Vinnie&#39;s apartment...

I&#39;m so damn sick of seeing games with metal corridors (halo, doom 3...others I can&#39;t think of...). I wan to see rooms...kitchen tables that fall apart...pictures on the walls, refridgerators that open up and have food in em...

I want walls to be actuall object. Say you&#39;re in a house in one mission, if guys in another room see you, and you run...I want them to be able to blow bullet holes through the walls behind you. I want a piece of the wall to be blown off...and I want to duck down below the part that is still there. I wan to be able to jump over a bar or counter...and hide behind it, while smart AI shoot through it, or plan a way to get me...

I want a game, that if you had infinite ammo, you could completely destroy the level. Tear walls up, destroy floors. I want physics, great graphics, immersive enviroments, and action&#33; Sorry, I made this whole thing look like it was written by a ten year old(I&#39;m not ten, I&#39;m eight-teen). I just wanted to squeeze as much out as I can.

I can&#39;t tell you how much I hate playing games that have nothing but still objects. It makes you feel like you are walking around in...data...colision data or something....like each wall is an invincible line, with a texture applied to it&#33; I hate the bullet holes, they are decals&#33; I want to be able to shoot a circle in the wall...and if it gets too unstable, the roof colapses&#33;

I know that seems a little much, but maybe it was 4 years ago. I think things like that aren&#39;t too much to ask for. I know they can be done. It is what brings a gamer back. If you go back into a game, just to destroy something differently, or set dead bodies up, and take a screenshot for a christmas card, then that&#39;s a good game&#33;

;)

DWk
12-17-2003, 07:08 PM
w0ot&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; now thats what im talking about.... :w00t:

raiserblade2003
12-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by CadeLaguana@17 December 2003 - 19:01
Physics are the future. I say if more action games have better physics, it makes all the better. Picture an advanced Max Payne 3. Using graphics of doom 3 or half-life 2, and you do some jumping onto a table and glass and shit knocks over...yata yata...you get the picture.

I&#39;d kill for a game, fps, or third person, with damn good graphics and...

Picture one level is like this big office building...and the whole building is renderd, every floor&#33; The graphics are amazing...detailed to death...you have a desert eagle and are taking out terrorists and shit...

Ahh hard to spit out what I&#39;m thinking. I mean...I want more hours of gameplay in action games. Make level editing a bit easier(I hate making levels with unreal ed...)

If the game makes you feel there, its a good game. One thing I liked about Max Payne 2 was the detailed rooms. Like when you&#39;re in the upper east side building level thing...you go in all these rooms, they look soo beautiful. Or Vinnie&#39;s apartment...

I&#39;m so damn sick of seeing games with metal corridors (halo, doom 3...others I can&#39;t think of...). I wan to see rooms...kitchen tables that fall apart...pictures on the walls, refridgerators that open up and have food in em...

I want walls to be actuall object. Say you&#39;re in a house in one mission, if guys in another room see you, and you run...I want them to be able to blow bullet holes through the walls behind you. I want a piece of the wall to be blown off...and I want to duck down below the part that is still there. I wan to be able to jump over a bar or counter...and hide behind it, while smart AI shoot through it, or plan a way to get me...

I want a game, that if you had infinite ammo, you could completely destroy the level. Tear walls up, destroy floors. I want physics, great graphics, immersive enviroments, and action&#33; Sorry, I made this whole thing look like it was written by a ten year old(I&#39;m not ten, I&#39;m eight-teen). I just wanted to squeeze as much out as I can.

I can&#39;t tell you how much I hate playing games that have nothing but still objects. It makes you feel like you are walking around in...data...colision data or something....like each wall is an invincible line, with a texture applied to it&#33; I hate the bullet holes, they are decals&#33; I want to be able to shoot a circle in the wall...and if it gets too unstable, the roof colapses&#33;

I know that seems a little much, but maybe it was 4 years ago. I think things like that aren&#39;t too much to ask for. I know they can be done. It is what brings a gamer back. If you go back into a game, just to destroy something differently, or set dead bodies up, and take a screenshot for a christmas card, then that&#39;s a good game&#33;

;)
yea but w/ a game like that, what type of gfx on the market today is gonna be good enough? or at least run it. most gfx card have trouble running halo, splinter cell and doom 3.

oh well, you could wait about 10 years and you&#39;ll see something like thtat

DWk
12-17-2003, 07:14 PM
but thats why we are talking about this......the future....either 1 year or 10....

CadeLaguana
12-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes. And besides, it would take a few years to make a game like that. Look at Morrowind, I heard that took like 4 years, half-life 2 has been in development for a few years. If a game like that takes a few years, good graphics cards would already be out. Hell I belive by the end of next year, or the begining of the one after that, there will probably already be a 512mb video card. Games still won&#39;t use much of that 512, but maybe they&#39;ll really up the core and memory speeds.

It&#39;s just that there isn&#39;t that many games today that really set new standards. The GTA series is good...but after smashing into walls and trees without them droping a leaf, it tends to get old fast. The next gta may still be on the old egine...yes new missions and cars...and enough gameplay to keep me playing another few months...but I want something big ;).

Gonna go to the bro&#39;s for some LAN, be back later. Good idea for a topic DWK :)

Peace,

-Baxton

TheDave
12-17-2003, 08:04 PM
im sick of fuckin bullet time. thats all

probeast
12-18-2003, 12:03 AM
i think for games to go further a new system of controls needs to be developed

uNz[i]
12-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Well, these days, it seems most 3D games are based on the same game engine.
That in itself has to create some glaring similarities in gameplay across the spectrum of FPS.
Its inevitable that things are going to get boring and samey.

YouSycophant
12-18-2003, 01:12 AM
I agree about the games becoming repetitive, especially war games its impossible to make it much diffrent than the last. As for the graphics thing i disagree completely, im all for good graphics, but i really never care if i can shoot some coffe mug to hell. Its all about some substance not the little things. Persoanlly I&#39;d take a good sotryline. Its all about the storyline. Without that tis jsut shooting around, you might as well play the same game forever. As for new games id like to see something more interactive, on a greater level. Somethnig further than black and white. OR maybe jsut a really good sci fi with unkown weapons not stupid WWII crap wit weapons weve all seen a million times before.

DWk
12-18-2003, 03:42 AM
however...the sci-fi weapons are also repetitive....its been here all the time.....halflife, halo, whatever game comes to mind....

Haz
12-18-2003, 03:49 AM
See what you mean, but it can only get better. Just takes some developers with a vision who don&#39;t let it go, Hideo Kojima for instance, he&#39;s always pushing the boundaries.

And look at Metroid Prime, that was something completely new I thought, it was a FPS but not accounting for taste it was a pretty good game :P

YouSycophant
12-18-2003, 04:06 AM
i seriously want a better version of black and white, like black and white mixed with sim city and the sims, put a good storyline. You get to pick your society how u form it and what not , and maybe ahve some war aspect and maybe some rpg oppurtunities.

Evil Gemini
12-18-2003, 10:00 AM
I think its time there was VR games were you put on a suit and shit.

Imagine playing counter strike in VR :rolleyes:

YouSycophant
12-18-2003, 08:26 PM
that would take so much hardware its not even funny , but would be badass