PDA

View Full Version : Good News

Davidwed
12-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Real surprise. I was driving along and heard that a superior court had reversed the lower court ruling re copywright and internet sharing. I hope I heard it right but the essense was that RIAA etc. are out to lunch and can't come after anybody for sharing files. ;) :o

supernico
12-19-2003, 10:25 PM
YEP YOU ARE RIGHT! :) :D :lol: :P

J'Pol
12-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Totally and utterly wrong.

They did not say anything of the sort and never will.

mooseman2070
12-19-2003, 11:09 PM
ok so yes or no, is it legal to use kazaa? i mean its not al over cnn, ill go check in news and wrld events

Davidwed
12-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Wasn't quite right. Seems Riaa can no longer force the isp to supply them with names of traders. I'm looking for more details
I wish I was absolutely sure of everything like J'Pol is. Bet I could make a real lot of "FRIENDS"

AstralWarlock
12-20-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by mooseman2070@19 December 2003 - 23:09
ok so yes or no, is it legal to use kazaa? i mean its not al over cnn, ill go check in news and wrld events
Using kazaa, or other P2P software, is legal. However the sharing of copyrighted files isn't.
However if/when the courts rule kazaa (P2P) to be illegal. Companies like JVC, that currently sell DVD systems that include a hard drive, stand to loose the battle as well. RIAA should face it...all of us did it, do it and shall continue to do it.
They're fighting a loosing battle, but as long as they can make a buck, they'll keep on fighting.

CooterDude
12-20-2003, 04:41 AM
Don't know if this is still on topic, but from the way i read it it seems that ISPs cannot be forced by the RIAA or any other private company to turn over names of their subscribers directly. They can still get you by taking your ip address and filing a "john doe" lawsuit and from that they can get your identity. This method however, is much more involved and expensive to do. I don't know if its SO expensive that the RIAA will suspend tracking down the big swappers, but it seems pretty likely that anyone sharing less than a couple thousand songs is relatively safe now. There are other, more involved articles about this on Zeropaid, Yahoo! and a bunch of other websites i'm sure.

imnotanaddict
12-20-2003, 05:06 AM
Posted on Fri, Dec. 19, 2003

Appeals panel to RIAA: "Ha, ha, ha, ha ... but seriously, no"
By John Paczkowski

Subscribe to GMSV
Add GMSV headlines
to your site

"Silly." That's how a U.S. appeals court described the Recording Industry Association of America's efforts to use the subpoena provisions of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act to compel Verizon Internet Services to identify subscribers accused of illegally distributing music over its network. In a blistering ruling a three-judge panel from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia overturned a prior ruling forcing Verizon to hand over the personal information of at least four its customers and flat out rejected the RIAA's claim that Verizon was responsible for the illegally downloaded music files that traverse its network. "We are not unsympathetic either to the RIAA's concern regarding the widespread infringement of its members' copyrights, or to the need for legal tools to protect those rights," the court wrote in its opinion. "It is not the province of the courts, however, to rewrite the DMCA in order to make it fit a new and unforeseen Internet architecture, no matter how damaging that development has been to the music industry or threatens being to the motion picture and software industries. The plight of copyrightholders must be addressed in the first instance by the Congress; only the Congress has the constitutional authority and the institutional ability to accommodate fully the varied permutations of competing interests that are inevitably implicated by such new technology." The ruling is a huge setback for the RIAA, whose campaign against file-sharing earlier this year morphed into an orgy of lawsuits (see "Music industry to recoup alleged file-sharing losses one 12-year-old at a time").

source (http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/columnists/gmsv/7532166.htm)

Alfons Åberg
12-20-2003, 06:20 AM
As I see it, if one court in Holland rules that no one can hold the person which is reponsible for, who is using his program, and another court (ok, in another country but the point is clear:) that rules, that RIAA or any private company cannot get the filesharers IP´s, I very much looking forward to increase my bandwith :P :o by far :lol:

Nightmeare
12-20-2003, 06:27 PM
¨dont know, dont care. i have been using kazaa lite 4 almost 3years now i am not going to let some asses like that stop me