PDA

View Full Version : Kl++ Vs. Es5 Fight.... Fill Me In..

vaughn_le
12-20-2003, 04:32 AM
I recently just noticed that the KL++ site was down and finally found the "temp." site for now. I also read up some posts that said KL had a fight with ES5 in reference to its "malicious" attack codings... I dont knwo what to do believe, I am still using KL, but I'm not sure if ES5 is working w/ RIAA or what? Where is KL++'s future headed if the main site is down? I'm kinda also confused with all the Kazaa out there.. there's the normal one... then the Paid to get in K-Lite and then there's the free KL++, things need to be simplify again...

Well someone please explain me the situation and weather its okay to use KL and ES5, I have no problem with any program and Love both, but currently I have both UNINSTALL due to the posts I found... right now I dont trust both... I jsut want to get a straight answer so that I can start using P2P again.

Which is safe? Please keep it to both side's viewpoint and no bias please...

SeK612
12-20-2003, 01:32 PM
In short RN discovered some suspicious coding in ES5 which could be used to delete contents from a persons computer. ES5 said that it was in there to allow remote updates of the ES5 software but after alot of uproar from users they released a new build with the code removed.

As for K++ there had been very little development on it as RN (guy who made it) said he wasn't making anymore versions of it. However since Sharman has ordered a crackdown on K++ (which is why it was removed from the main site - Sharman were threatening legal action) development seems to have picked up. K++ v2.4.3 is working fine and there is development of a lite version of the official Kazaa v2.6 which should include most of the features that K++ has (avi preview, accelerator etc).

As for safety. Both have there problems. Kazaa is the focus of the main brunt of the RIAA's attempts to crack down on filesharing (although K++ reduces the chances of being picked out) and ES5 still remains slightly dodgy (like making exaggerated claims about amounts of users and threatening people that show them up).

Personally I would say, if your running 2 filesharing clients, use K++ v2.4.3 and emule :)

Hacktown
12-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Well many words have been exchanged between K++ and ES5. I dont think that the "update" code was malicious cause they have been around so long and the fact is nobodys files were delete. I believe es5 cuz they do work hard to serve from there servers for free lots of movies and music. Microsoft uses the same code for Microsoft updates so its really not that big of a deal. Theyve removed the code and so now its not even in discussion.

It may sound sad for some but ES5 has got the upper hand cuz they are in Palestine and can avoid lawsuits so their development continues. I think we just all need to be friends and maybe es5 will consider hosting kazaa in palestine.

You should go to the es5 forums and check out what they have to say. http://p2pforum.net

J'Pol
12-20-2003, 04:58 PM
I use pretty much everything except ES5. I trust neither the programme or the people who develop / promote it.

The behaviour a short while ago was frankly appalling. With Sharepro making death threats and saying that he had paid someone to attack a persons family.

I do not and never again will use that appalling piece of software. I have tried it in the past and it is just rubbish compared to other things. The producers are lying fantasists and I would not trust them as far as I could spit them.

james_bond_rulez
12-20-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@20 December 2003 - 07:58
I use pretty much everything except ES5. I trust neither the programme or the people who develop / promote it.

The behaviour a short while ago was frankly appalling. With Sharepro making death threats and saying that he had paid someone to attack a persons family.

I do not and never again will use that appalling piece of software. I have tried it in the past and it is just rubbish compared to other things. The producers are lying fantasists and I would not trust them as far as I could spit them.
yeah i knew their were up to no good way before the malicious code thing.

it's my 6th sense.... :ph34r:

there is just something about them that doesn't smell right :lol:

Entity101
12-20-2003, 05:32 PM
ES5 has a very bad reputation. Mainly because of the many lies that they spread.

Illuminati
12-20-2003, 05:51 PM
The K-Lite/ES5 war is, at the minute, dormant. While there is quiet contempt between us and them, each is doing their own thing rather than continuing the BS.

ES5 is currently in a war with Slyck, apparantly over some articles about ES5 which had been edited without notice.

Hacktown
12-20-2003, 06:08 PM
Your talking about J Ashton claiming that he cracked ES5's SSL and Slyck writing about it. Lots of shit has been said about es5 by both their pr people and people who dont like them. But Ashton is full of it. SSL is SSL and it doesnt matter if you apply it to Kazaa or ES5. So no way did Ashton crack SSL. The guy even claimed that he had the "keys to SSL" as if there are some type of master key. What a loser. I suppose he did this to bite off of Random Nut and create more fuss.

The current "war" with ES5 has turned alot of people against Slyck. God forbid I say that ES5 is correct but lets just say that Slyck and J Ashton fucked up big time. Its all over the internet that J. Ashton made false claims about being able to break SSL.

SeK612
12-20-2003, 06:17 PM
ES5 are always arguing with people and people are always arguing with them :)

I remember a while back they were arguing with Zeropaid (they even set up a special flame board where people could flame Zeropaid). There was a supposed hacker who found backdoor access to Zeropaid and said they found Zeropaid were culling IP's of people that visited there site (there was a page on geocities which demonstrated the gathering - a mass of IP's which updated that was supposedly everyone that visited the site). There was some link between the guy that started Zeropaid and the DRM and there was a scare that they might be culling IP's as part as a legal trap.

james_bond_rulez
12-20-2003, 06:22 PM
like i said the ppl at es5 are full of it <_<

Hacktown
12-20-2003, 06:56 PM
I like Gnutella and Shareaza forums but one thing about es5 (I frequent them like I do everybody) is that there is never a dull moment there. You can sit there for hours laughing your ass off at some of the crap that goes on there. :)

vaughn_le
12-20-2003, 10:08 PM
thank you all of you for filling me in at least i knwo what the problem was and who made it worst... I guess to say es5 is a bad place would be incorrect, they might cause confrontations but i rather not care about people saying stuff... I&#39;m just for the program... P2P need to look out for other P2P we don&#39;t want to cause war between one another, our war is between the copyrighted companies and ourselves. The problem has ceased so that is good, but to not further cause anymore problem, you all should find viewpoint between ALL p2p ( not pay 2 peer, but peer to peer ) that is equal among each one. So instead of saying bs about another things, we all should inform others what is good and what is not instead of making rumors.

Again, I thank you all for your viewpoints and welcome any anyother replies, but in my belief, we should give everythign a try and help each one another out instead of creating problems. P2P was created for all of us to evolve, not limit ourselves....