PDA

View Full Version : Should I Devote My Website To Kazaa Lite?

DWells55
12-20-2003, 11:20 PM
I've loved KaZaA Lite K++ for all the time it ws out. and I think I want to devote my website to KL. I have a site at FreeWebs (http://www.freewebs.com/dwells55) and 100 MBs of storage. I could use my storage to host some files as a mirror (although technically freewebs doesn't want you to). Also, my page could be completely about KL, with links to files I host. Am I getting in a little over my head here? I'm only 14, is there any chance I could get in legal trouble for this? Also, another problem, I'm not great at HTML or graphics design. So do any of you guys got some good pics (the awesome K-Lite logo) that I could use. Thanks, guys. any feedback will be appreciated.

sharedholder
12-20-2003, 11:25 PM
I'm only 14, is there any chance I could get in legal trouble for this?

I appreciate you for the ideea but yes, you can go in serious trouble.

internet.news
12-20-2003, 11:58 PM
I sent you a PM. There is only possible for getting in trouble if you would host
the installer for K++ - I do not think if you just host a site.

That is why - I suggest it - that if you want to host installers of K++, host them
on russian sites where RIAA could not get them easily.

Mr. Blunt
12-21-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@20 December 2003 - 15:20
I've loved KaZaA Lite K++ for all the time it ws out. and I think I want to devote my website to KL. I have a site at FreeWebs (http://www.freewebs.com/dwells55) and 100 MBs of storage. I could use my storage to host some files as a mirror (although technically freewebs doesn't want you to). Also, my page could be completely about KL, with links to files I host. Am I getting in a little over my head here? I'm only 14, is there any chance I could get in legal trouble for this? Also, another problem, I'm not great at HTML or graphics design. So do any of you guys got some good pics (the awesome K-Lite logo) that I could use. Thanks, guys. any feedback will be appreciated.
If you want to make a website go ahead.

You shouldn't get in trouble for hosting a website dedicated to Kazaa Lite. However, you could if you hosted the installers on the same webspace as your website.

It don't matter what age you are. I'm currently 15 and look at my website. It has 6114 hits and it's only been online for about a month.

If your not good at HTML and graphic design, why not use the pre built templates FreeWebs provides? That would be a good way to start off. Or maybe Geocities. Their good for newbies.

DWells55
12-21-2003, 02:08 AM
You're site is great! Very well designed.
I got myself a nice template, now I need a logo. Anyone got that great KaZaA Lite K++ Logo? That cool silver and blue K! Preferably as a transparent .gif, so it blends in well. Thanks!

camille
12-21-2003, 03:05 AM
You must be flexible, Dwells. :)

DWells55
12-21-2003, 04:57 AM
Well, it's up. Not done, but up. freewebs: KLKpp (http://www.freewebs.com/klkpp)

Mr. Blunt
12-21-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@20 December 2003 - 20:57
Well, it's up. Not done, but up. freewebs: KLKpp (http://www.freewebs.com/klkpp)
It looks good.

:)

leito.gt
12-21-2003, 05:45 AM
The site is cool, Im familiar with php, html, and all that... designer stuff and I love klite, so if you have any question or anything you want just let me know.

[email protected]

Samurai
12-21-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by leito.gt@21 December 2003 - 04:45
The site is cool, Im familiar with php, html, and all that... designer stuff and I love klite, so if you have any question or anything you want just let me know.

[email protected]
Word of advice. Never put your email address out on a public forum. If you have to, PM each and every person to do this. Too many spammers and people who love sending viruses out there...

Samurai
12-21-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@21 December 2003 - 03:57
Remove your email address from the website. That is the first place the RIAA will target if they come across it. I mean both your normal email and AOL screen names. Let people use your built in contact page <_<

leito.gt
12-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Thnx for the advice. As a security measure is ok. But, I&#39;m the kind of person that won&#39;t limit his activities because some bad people are out there. We have to be free and trust. We&#39;re all supposed to be K-lite users, so we&#39;re friends. I hope no spammers come.

And about the RIAA, 1. "I don&#39;t use kazaa" and 2. I live don&#39;t live in the US.

DWells55
12-21-2003, 07:35 AM
All right, Samurai, I&#39;ll do that. You guys got a list of mirrors I can link to in my downloads section? And I still need the Silver/Blue K Logo as a transparent .gif. I&#39;m no good with graphics, nor do I have the software to do that with.

camille
12-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@21 December 2003 - 11:57
Well, it&#39;s up. Not done, but up. freewebs: KLKpp (http://www.freewebs.com/klkpp)
Quite impressive&#33; Convincing. :)

DWells55
12-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Thank you all for your support. My site seems to be coming along better than I expected. Do you guys have a good list of mirrors I could linik to from my site? I want to make my downloads section stronger.

goldwing
12-22-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by internet.news@20 December 2003 - 23:58
I sent you a PM. There is only possible for getting in trouble if you would host

That is why - I suggest it - that if you want to host installers of K++, host them
I would be more concerned about Sharman Networks suing you than the RIAA:
-------
Sharman Exterminating Kazaa Lite K++December 6, 2003Thomas Mennecke
Today, Kazaa Lite K++ fans discovered that virtually every download mirror of this client has been eliminated,
including links on its home page. Sharman went to the ISP of every website that hosted Kazaa Lite K++ and ordered
its removal via the DMCA. Any mention of Kazaa Lite K++ on the homepage has been ominously replaced with links
to eMule, BitTorrent and SoulSeek.
A representative of Sharman Networks spoke to us on the condition of anonymity regarding their current campaign to
vanquish Kazaa Lite K++.

Not only has Sharman Networks succeeded in eliminating nearly every major resource of
Kazaa Lite K++, they are systematically forcing it off the network.
How you ask?
Recent upgrades to Kazaa clients (2.5 and higher) make them less tolerant with outdated or non official clients such
as Kazaa Lite K++. Kazaa Lite is based on a version prior to 2.5, therefore a current supernode will not accept its shares.
Although this will cause network headaches in terms of traffic, the client will not be able to participate or download off the
main FastTrack network. This will effectively cluster and isolate all modified Kazaa clients from FastTrack.
Well, won&#39;t Kazaa Lite clients simply form their own sub-FastTrack network?
Sounds nice, but no. Unfortunately, the developers of Kazaa Lite helped Sharman out tremendously by disabling the
supernode function. Very few users who run this client are acting as supernodes. A decentralized P2P network with
all clients and no supernodes cannot exist. The effects of this extermination is already taking place, as search times
and connection times are deteriorating compared to K+ (the legitimate spyware/adware free version of Kazaa.)
As time progresses, the Kazaa Lite K++ client will become so unusable that its populace will be driven off the network.
This latest act from Sharman punctuates a long history of hypocrisy that involves the protection of their own intellectual
property rights, yet blatantly ignoring the copyrights of others.
Perhaps RatFaced, a Kazaa Lite K++ forum mod said it best, “Ironic, that Kazaa is complaining about copyright issues,
especially as K-Lite ++ stands for everything that Kazaa CLAIMS to stand for... but fails to deliver.”

powerstick
12-23-2003, 03:24 AM
dk k++ here

http://www.crawlclick.com/forum/showthread...tid=641#post641 (http://www.crawlclick.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=641#post641)

NightStalker
12-24-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by internet.news@20 December 2003 - 23:58

Ummm.. The RIAA is not going to "get" you if you have the K++ Installer package up for download.

Although Sharmen Networks might. :D