PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited Bandwidth

djweiser
12-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Hi, Just a quick notice to all those people who mention "unlimited bandwidth"...it is impossible to be such thing. These providers who claim to offer unlimited bandwidth will probably have a note in thier TOU about "system resouces". These providers will allow approx 10GB monthly bandwidth only. More detailed info is below...

The Truth About Unlimited Bandwidth
Web Hosting is a commodity. The main elements of any web hosting plan are disk space and bandwidth. Disk space is the space you have allotted on the web server to store your website. Bandwidth is an amount you have available to transfer web pages from the web server to the browsers of visitors to your site. Web pages and graphics consume bandwidth or capacity on the web. Bandwidth and disk space cost money.

The network lines that carry data around the web (optic fiber, cable, copper wire etc) have a finite capacity. There is a limit to the amount of data that can be transferred at any point in time. Likewise, the hard drive of a web server has a limited amount of space determined by the physical size of the hard drive.

Many hosting companies claim to offer "unlimited" plans (both disk space and bandwidth), but be aware that there are physical limitations to both disk space and bandwidth. Before you buy an "unlimited" plan, know what you're getting into.

The Attraction to Unlimited
When consumers decide they want to place a website on the internet, they are often unaware of the fact that there are limitations. Unlimited is attractive because it requires no further thought. If it's unlimited then I never need to worry about running out right? Although this is understandable, there are risks with purchasing unlimited plans.

The Unlimited Myth
Many web hosting companies offer "unlimited" as a plan feature. It is impossible for any provider to actually provide an unlimited amount of bandwidth or disk space. It's just not possible.

So Why Do Unlimited Plans Exist?
Most websites only consume a very small amount of bandwidth and disk space. Web hosting companies that provide unlimited anything as a plan feature are banking on the fact that you won't use very much. Unlimited is a marketing trick to get your business. The web hosting market is very competitive. Although selling plans that pretend to be unlimited can seem dishonest, it does not mean that the hosting company will not provide good service. Check in the hosting company's Terms of Service: there will probably be a note about what "unlimited" really means.

When Are Unlimited Plans Ok?
If you have a small website and know that it will not consume too much space or bandwidth, then unlimited plans make your choices a bit easier to understand. Most plans that offer unlimited will have some restrictions such as no audio or video downloads. The reason audio or video downloads are typically not allowed in unlimited hosting plans is because these types of files consume significant bandwidth and disk space which exposes the host to the risk of having to add more hard drive space and bandwidth, which costs them more money. If you choose an unlimited plan and you know your needs won't be very intensive then you won't run into any problems.

When Are Unlimited Plans Not Ok?
If you intend to have a lot of visitors to your site, lots of downloads, including audio or video files, do not choose an unlimited plan hoping to get unrestricted bandwidth. You will find yourself with problems. Your web host is not going to run at a loss for long - they could shut down your website or even charge you extra (read the terms of service).

So What Is The Best Thing To Do?
The best course of action is to plan ahead. Calculate what type of bandwidth and disk space you will need for your site (you can use the information and tools on the FindMyHosting site to do this) then multiply it by 2 just to allow for expansion. Remember, you can always buy more bandwidth or disk space if you need - often for only a few dollars a month extra. Look for plans that meet those requirements. Another FindMyHosting article "Bandwidth Explained" does a good job explaining the details behind bandwidth.

Only consider an unlimited hosting plan if you know your disk space and bandwidth requirements are very low. If, on the other hand, you have an ecommerce site or a site that you expect to grow in size and bandwidth in future, avoid any plans that offer unlimited bandwidth or disk space.

EDIT: sorry my original message got through. i thought the mods has disallowed it.

I.am
12-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Yup! There is no such thing like unlimited bandwidth. I thought when you started you were a host yourself. You are supposed to know this, much earlier :) But anyhow this might prove out to be helpful for other naive users.

james_bond_rulez
12-21-2003, 03:22 AM
well i download over 250 GB per month so i guess my isp really caps my bandwidth at 300 GB right?

lol

TheFilePirater
12-21-2003, 03:27 AM
i kno i do over 300gb a month....atleast 1.5gb every other night

djweiser
12-21-2003, 12:25 PM
it depends. freeserve claims to offer unlimited bandwidth. i hosted k-lite on 4 of my accounts and never got told off. then i got moved to the "top of the list" and after 3 days all my accounts got deleted. It seems they dont really have a restrction, but if you use to much.....

however paid hosts who claim "unlimited", wont be so generous as ISPs.

Robert00000
12-21-2003, 11:38 PM
i'm thinking of purchasing some webspace from ipower at $7.95/month, they give 40Gb/month. Does anyone know of a better deal?

I'm not too bothered about the webspace, i only need about 10 megabyes, but the bandwidth has to be as high as possible.

The site needs CGI (for form processing), and SSL.

ZaZu
12-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Robert00000@21 December 2003 - 16:38
i'm thinking of purchasing some webspace from ipower at $7.95/month, they give 40Gb/month. Does anyone know of a better deal?

Check out 1and1.com (http://order.1and1.com/xml/static/Home%3Bjsessionid=3FE0D740872F12EB29B3F9552A79854B.TC60a) ;)

asmithz
12-22-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Robert00000@21 December 2003 - 15:38

I'm not too bothered about the webspace, i only need about 10 megabyes, but the bandwidth has to be as high as possible.

The site needs CGI (for form processing), and SSL.
Ooooo 40gig a month i use 30gig a day on my site. Go with 1and1.com they pretty good and free.

Robert00000
12-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the 1and.com links, but i'm in the UK and can't get the free offer.

I have actually been registering my domains with 1and1 for years and notified people about the free offer from them on one of the other forums weeks ago. :lol:

Any other webhost name will be appreciated.

Thanks ;)

Money Fist
12-22-2003, 03:48 PM
The network lines that carry data around the web (optic fiber, cable, copper wire etc) have a finite capacity. There is a limit to the amount of data that can be transferred at any point in time. Likewise, the hard drive of a web server has a limited amount of space determined by the physical size of the hard drive.

SOME BODY CALL ME????

Spindulik
12-23-2003, 06:25 AM
The simple fact that anyone advertises UNLIMITED is just plain deceiving! I don't care what anyone says about legal and fine print rules and stuff. The companies are doing anything they can to attract your attention, even if they have to lure you in with a bogus plan (but legal due to the fine print).

Come on now. That's like me applying for a job with a resume saying I can work unlimited hours. Then the employer reads the fine print, and it says I require a 16 hour break for every 24 hour period I work, not including the breaks in between.

A lot of companies do this "Legal Fibbing". Like the "50% off all items", except for XBOX, TVs, stereo, VCRs, diamonds, jewelery. Well, in that case, the only thing left in the store is the over-priced clothing that they couldn't sell last month.

How about the 0% interest for 3 years on the new car or appliance? But did you read the fine print? If the item isn't completely payed in 3 years, you owe 28% interest starting from the day you bought the product. Ain't that sweet?

One more? You can save up to 20% on your automobile insurance!! "Call us now!". Yeah, right. One little fender bender or offense, and your rates jump 70%, according to the fine print.

Last one. "Save on long Distant Calls", "dial 10-10...", "Only 5 cents a minute!" Yeah right, but the fine print says you also have to pay the $2.00 for the connection fee and another $1.00 for the first minute and even some more money for the taxes and other services.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Do you really want to deal with any business that resorts to tricking you into a deal? What kind of integrity do they have when your first impression is a lie? (not really a lie, its in the fine print - eh?)

Fine print is like crossing your fingers.

james_bond_rulez
12-23-2003, 06:39 AM
i'll eh to that :lol:

EH?

Cotton
12-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Are you talking about Website providers, or Internet service providers??

250gig OMFG

what do u download???

i struggle to use my download limit of 16gig a month!

mahammued786
12-23-2003, 03:17 PM
i have unlimited evrything on my hosting! lol

;)

TRshady
12-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@23 December 2003 - 06:25
The simple fact that anyone advertises UNLIMITED is just plain deceiving! I don't care what anyone says about legal and fine print rules and stuff. The companies are doing anything they can to attract your attention, even if they have to lure you in with a bogus plan (but legal due to the fine print).

Come on now. That's like me applying for a job with a resume saying I can work unlimited hours. Then the employer reads the fine print, and it says I require a 16 hour break for every 24 hour period I work, not including the breaks in between.

A lot of companies do this "Legal Fibbing". Like the "50% off all items", except for XBOX, TVs, stereo, VCRs, diamonds, jewelery. Well, in that case, the only thing left in the store is the over-priced clothing that they couldn't sell last month.

How about the 0% interest for 3 years on the new car or appliance? But did you read the fine print? If the item isn't completely payed in 3 years, you owe 28% interest starting from the day you bought the product. Ain't that sweet?

One more? You can save up to 20% on your automobile insurance!! "Call us now!". Yeah, right. One little fender bender or offense, and your rates jump 70%, according to the fine print.

Last one. "Save on long Distant Calls", "dial 10-10...", "Only 5 cents a minute!" Yeah right, but the fine print says you also have to pay the $2.00 for the connection fee and another $1.00 for the first minute and even some more money for the taxes and other services.

GIVE ME A BREAK!

Do you really want to deal with any business that resorts to tricking you into a deal? What kind of integrity do they have when your first impression is a lie? (not really a lie, its in the fine print - eh?)

Fine print is like crossing your fingers.
Very true Spindulik, you'll go far in life :)

true_neo
12-23-2003, 08:30 PM
I am getting my hosting from a host with unlimited space and bandwidth. I dont trust their backups, so I will make backups of my own.
Thus I will never have to fear to overdo it, as my 80 GB is all I can upload to them as well.

As for the bandwidth: They have nothing in the FAQ (they have no TOS afai can see) about what unlimited bandwidth means.
If they just delete my account cos I use too much, Im gonna sue their asses. :angry:

They have to keep what they promise, or meet me in court :lol:

Robert00000
12-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by true_neo@23 December 2003 - 20:30
I am getting my hosting from a host with unlimited space and bandwidth. I dont trust their backups, so I will make backups of my own.
Thus I will never have to fear to overdo it, as my 80 GB is all I can upload to them as well.

As for the bandwidth: They have nothing in the FAQ (they have no TOS afai can see) about what unlimited bandwidth means.
If they just delete my account cos I use too much, Im gonna sue their asses. :angry:

Which hosting company is this ? seems too good to be true.

mahammued786
12-24-2003, 10:06 AM
http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1203/

screenofcpanel.gif

my cpanel screen!! B)

true_neo
12-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Robert00000+24 December 2003 - 03:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert00000 &#064; 24 December 2003 - 03:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-true_neo@23 December 2003 - 20:30

Which hosting company is this ? seems too good to be true. [/b][/quote]
http://www.onedollarhost.net

knock yourself out.
Cons:
no cpanel (it costs &#036;24 a year)
cant seem to get ASCII transfer on FTP :angry:
no copyrighted material on site

thats all I found out so far ;)

wenze1
12-25-2003, 04:27 AM
Hi, Just a quick notice to all those people who mention "unlimited bandwidth"...it is impossible to be such thing. These providers who claim to offer unlimited bandwidth will probably have a note in thier TOU about "system resouces". These providers will allow approx 10GB monthly bandwidth only.

I download 10 gigs a day sometimes my isp never says a word and i have unlimted high speed broadband 2.0MB/256KB. 6th one done is my plan. (http://www.onlycablecan.com/offers.asp)