PDA

View Full Version : Fake/real? Police E-mail With My Ip-number?

ice_princess
12-22-2003, 12:55 AM
ATTENTION!

Don't know if this has happened to anyone else and whether it is genuine or only a bad joke:

I just received an e-mail from the "BKA Internet Police Duesseldorf" (?!) - I am not even German, although an EU National - declaring my IP-Number and their intention of prosecuting me for downloading files illegally. They did not actually mention Kazaa Lite but I have not downloaded anything from anywhere else. Also they declared that the prosecution would be in written form and that I would receive the letter and a copy of the data collected from my computer over the next few days.

The "police" (?) also added a file attachment that they claimed contained detailed notes of my computer data that they had gathered. When trying to open it, my pc suddenly showed up all blue and a Microsoft dialog.exe Error Firewall Block message was displayed. That has now happened several times in the past 30min.

The "police" (?) mail did not contain my name, just my IP-Number. It did not use the genuine e-mail address from the German Police because they claimed "fear of mailbombs" (?!) but did add the telephone number of the Police Station Duesseldorf that for obvious reasons I did not want to try calling to check out whether it's genuine. I did notice the bad German spelling but I guess that does not outrule real police officers.

Questions:
1.- I am using an Anonymizer - so how can they know my IP-address?
2.- Very dumb question but where can I look up my IP-address (WinXP) to check if they have even got it right, whoever they actually are?
3.- Anyone know if this is just a nasty hoax or if it is genuine???

Thanks to everybody who helps!

Money Fist
12-22-2003, 01:04 AM
not sure
i know its scary
but my buddy got a letter from univeral pictures for
DLing the hulk
but they told him exactly were he got it from (supernova)

i say fake

its possible that (im sayin unlikely) Anonymizer could of picked
an ip that went throu a german police station (set as a Anonmus proxy)
and they sniffed you like that

Samurai
12-22-2003, 01:14 AM
Seen this before. HOAX.

Any files installed on your system, be sure to virus scan and also run Spybot. These emails normally contain trojan's. You may inadvertadly installed it.

Samurai

ice_princess
12-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Hope so Fiber :(

because, yes, it is scary.

messed up my computer too, so maybe it's a hoax containing a virus, then again maybe i will greet the new year from behind bars?!

ice_princess
12-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Samurai - I could kiss you :*

You have really, I mean REALLY, stopped me from freaking out over this! I was honestly scared at first glance.

Thank you :D :D :D :D :D

Money Fist
12-22-2003, 01:21 AM
great samrai
i dont get shit

i moded my post 3 times to get it right

Samurai
12-22-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by ice_princess@22 December 2003 - 00:19
Samurai - I could kiss you :*

You have really, I mean REALLY, stopped me from freaking out over this! I was honestly scared at first glance.

Thank you :D :D :D :D :D
Dear God,

Please let ice_princess be female :rolleyes:

Yours Faithfully,

Samurai... The Filesharer

Money Fist
12-22-2003, 01:26 AM
LOL

ice_princess
12-22-2003, 01:32 AM
Samurai:
Not to worry, I am DEFINITELY female! :P

Fiber:
THREE BIG KISSES :* :* :* for you, you are my hero!

Samurai
12-22-2003, 01:37 AM
Oh one more thing...

Could you forward this email to me please? I'll PM you my email address.

Also, I'd advise changing your IP address in case of future problems with the sender. Easiest way to do this is to disconnect your cable modem / set top box for 60 seconds and reconnect. IP should change.

If not, and you're running Windows XP, click here (http://support.chartermi.net/support/pipeline/windows/renewip_2k.html) for another way of doing this.

Hope this helps, and expect the PM.

Samurai

ice_princess
12-22-2003, 01:44 AM
hi samurai!

will gladly forward you the beastly mail but be forewarned about opening that attachment they included!!!

i will disconnect/reconnect my adsl modem as that seems much easier than the instructions on the link you kindly provided.

as you may have gathered, i am blonde & pretty but not very computer-savy :D

Money Fist
12-22-2003, 02:19 AM
Oh one more thing...

Could you forward this email to me please? I'll PM you my email address.

Also, I'd advise changing your IP address in case of future problems with the sender. Easiest way to do this is to disconnect your cable modem / set top box for 60 seconds and reconnect. IP should change.

If not, and you're running Windows XP, click here for another way of doing this.

Hope this helps, and expect the PM.

Samurai

looks like samo deserves the lady&#33; <_<

also can i see it? ;)

ice_princess
12-22-2003, 02:32 AM
:flowers: Fiber,

You can see it, laugh at it, even pin it on a wall :rolleyes:

Or maybe you can see me in the papers some day soon under the headline "Too Dumb to Run"...

Let me know if you want me to forward it to you :shifty: