PDA

View Full Version : Sick Of Slow Downloads?

Flash13
12-22-2003, 05:25 AM
OK, firstly a quick RANT!

:angry: I'M SICK OF PEOPLE WHO DONT LIMIT THEIR UPLOADS! :angry:
-lemmie explain myself a lil

while your uploading at 0.05kbs, someone on the other end is trying to get that file at the same time, at that speed... wait, back up;

Say your putting file A onto the ft network, at that moment in time, your the only person to have file A.
Lets also asume (for understandability) that everyone has 64k's upload and download
You start shareing File A;

Situation 1 (unlimited uploads)

"Hey, this file is really popular"
"look I've got 800 people trying to get this file"
"aww, shame its only going at 0.01kbs"

...2 weeks later..

"I've been trying to download this file for ages, but theres only one source for it, and its really slow"

(after 2 weeks, there still isnt an increase in the amout of sources, or bandwidth making that file available)

Situation 2 (limiting Uploads to approx 3kbs per user)

"hey look, theres people that want that file"

...hour later...

"I finished downloading this awesome file, now i'm going to share it"
(file now, after only a few hours has more sources, therefore available bandwidth to distribute it to even more sources)

in summing up;

Limiting uploads makes more sources available quicker; ESP WHEN THE SOURCES ARE NEEDED

limit your uploads to about 3kbs per user (ie, if you can get 2 users both with 3.1kbs uploads to them, limit your uploads to 2 users)
-this way you can also limit you downloads fairly

:nono: maybe somthing like this would be better if inforced at a programmers level?

oh, just so you know, this is not applicable to any of the download networks that support partial download sharing (where you share parts of a file that you've already got, even if you dont have the entire thing)

Johnny Stecchino
12-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Wanna get really sick? try emule....

Cheers,
Johnny.

junkyardking
12-22-2003, 08:43 AM
just use bittorent. ;)

Flash13
12-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Emule is quite slow, I've found

Bittorrent is alright, untill you get to the last bits

I tryed shareaza, that was, okish, but doesnt have nearly the user base required for decent speeds on popular files

cwctv
12-23-2003, 09:09 PM
I quite agree this as been said before I have 30kps and only allow 3 to download at least its better than what I get most of the time 1.07 etc,1 point is some users are stronger than others so they get extra speed because unless you are going to sit they and police it how can you give all 3 the same speed.!!!

wenze1
12-24-2003, 10:55 PM
I have my uploads set at 3 and people get speeds from 15kb/s to about 8kb/s and some are less but i think those are the dialup people.I hate that crap when you try and download something and the person has it set to unlimited or high and you can tell because say for example the other day i was downloading some korn and out of 10 songs 7 were connected to the same user and the speeds were .03kb/s.and even when i paused 6 of them my speed went to only .08.That is so irritating.. :angry:

Bebi
12-25-2003, 02:28 AM
added section: an hour later, oh fuck, it's a fake file!

TheFilePirater
12-25-2003, 08:23 AM
holy shit??!? your telling me if people uncapp there upload..speed will go up?!?!

fawkin n00bs <_<

test2speed
12-30-2003, 03:18 AM
HAHAHAHAHAH , dude thirs is Only one way to get a person that dosnt want them 2 download there files, Lie say you downloading :"Need for speed Underground&#33;" Right and its Remot for ever any thing you do its still Remoted&#33;, heres what you need 2 do :

1.>0 Send a message 2 the person, [B]if They are Blocking Messeges&#33;
Just get their IP adders and hack there asses and Open a .TXT in their Destop , and start righting Bolshit or scary shit 2 make them let you download there shit&#33;

2.> or you can just be a Pussy and Go Buy the theam shit&#33;

-------------------
Note of the day : Always Hack&#33; :ghostface:

Nwas
01-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Easy solution...everyone gets either DSL or cable and then we will all be happy

nsane
01-01-2004, 05:21 PM
like im ganna pay &#036;30-40 a month for the internet, yeah right :lol:

ill just wait for some company to finally realize their over chargin like a mofo, which is why so very few ppl have dsl or cable, and make a change for the better (yet some idiots still pay &#036;25/m for aol :rolleyes: )

oZone
01-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Just try overnet if you don&#39;t like emule.

Switeck
01-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Flash13@22 December 2003 - 00:25
Limiting uploads makes more sources available quicker;

limit your uploads to about 3kbs per user (ie, if you can get 2 users both with 3.1kbs uploads to them, limit your uploads to 2 users)
-this way you can also limit you downloads fairly

oh, just so you know, this is not applicable to any of the download networks that support partial download sharing (where you share parts of a file that you&#39;ve already got, even if you dont have the entire thing)I&#39;ve said the same thing multiple times.

It&#39;s ALSO important to limit your upload BANDWIDTH in KL++ as well.

If not, your connection can be overloaded with uploads to the point it cannot reply quickly enough to your downloads SYN ACK (send more?) messages. This causes download speeds to fall, stall, and just plain disconnect. It also causes really bursty upload speeds and lots of packet loss -- where even data sent out for the uploads has to be sent out possibly MULTIPLE times to get through successfully. Not good.

KL++&#39;s setup wizard can set a pretty good value for upload bandwidth and can be re-run if you want to change it later. I also use small *.REG files for on-the-fly changing of my upload bandwidth for even more control.

For reasonable internet surfing, and to allow some spare upload bandwidth for those moments when you&#39;re downloading faster than 100 KB/sec, leave about 20-40 kilobits/sec (2.5-5 KB/sec) upload bandwidth free.

Downloads NEED to be set considerably higher than uploads because even downloads that are only ATTEMPTING to connect OR searching count AGAINST your max downloads at once value&#33; Couple that too with the many very slow uploaders, and the max downloads can be set almost to max (of 50) if you&#39;re able to download at >100 KB/sec.

EVEN on partial file sharing networks, uploads still need to be able to go at 1 KB/sec each so each upload chunk gets done within a reasonable amount of time. Partial file sharing still tends to require 128 KB or larger chunks of the file before any of it is shared. And 128 KB would take just over 2 minutes at 1 KB/sec. Larger files like movies have chunksizes of 1/2 MB (512 KB) or 1 MB (1,024 KB) which would take quite a while at 1 KB/sec.

Lastly, assuming everyone can download at least 3 KB/sec, it is FASTER in total to have fewer uploads:
So if you have ~13 KB/sec total upload bandwidth (pretty common for 128 kilobit/sec upload max broadband), then...
With 4 uploads, average upload speed would be about 3.2 KB/sec. (12.8 KB/sec effective total)
With 10 uploads, average upload speed would be about 1.1 KB/sec. (11 KB/sec effective total)
With 20 uploads, average upload speed would be about 0.5 KB/sec. (10 KB/sec effective total)

This is due to the overhead costs for EACH additional upload plus TCP/ip packet overheads.

bigdawgfoxx
01-01-2004, 08:24 PM
I get like 5Kbs max on bittornet.....it pissses me off.

Embryodead
01-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by nsane@1 January 2004 - 17:21

ill just wait for some company to finally realize their over chargin like a mofo, which is why so very few ppl have dsl or cable, and make a change for the better (yet some idiots still pay &#036;25/m for aol :rolleyes: )
LOL...We pay 19.95 here in Cali. for Cable modem. :ph34r:

ZeroTolerance
01-05-2004, 10:08 PM
if your on dial up just highligh or click on the download your downloading and go to start>run> then type in ping and press ok and it will increase your speed a little bit.
;)

whozyodaddy
01-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Embryodead+5 January 2004 - 17:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Embryodead &#064; 5 January 2004 - 17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsane@1 January 2004 - 17:21

LOL...We pay 19.95 here in Cali. for Cable modem. :ph34r: [/b][/quote]
oh, I live in calli and online, yea it&#39;s &#036;20, I use comcast (you do too.. monopoly) and have digital cable, which is like &#036;40

phAnt0m buRn
01-11-2004, 05:52 PM
AOL is a rip off over here in B) Great B) Britain.

£27 a month. Bloody hell.

I use ntl:home at £18 a month, I think. It used to be £15 though.

The only prob is that it is either:
"the slowest form of the fastest connection"
or
"the fastest form of the slowest connection"
at only 150 Kb/s.

BB is expensive anywhere though. I did here of one ISP who were offering it dirt cheap/free but you got totally bombarded with advertisements and had to click on them to keep the service free.

cwctv
01-11-2004, 06:06 PM
phAnt0m buRn
I quite agree here in UK its shit they want your money yes but don&#39;t give you the service for it like you on 150, Ntl and all the rest want to wake up abit and look around the world we are WAY behind even so called 3rd world countries have better services,then to cap it all off many are now CAPPING your up/downloads a day, and get rid of BT (British Telecom) its them keeping it high.

mogadishu
01-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Embryodead+5 January 2004 - 12:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Embryodead @ 5 January 2004 - 12:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsane@1 January 2004 - 17:21

ill just wait for some company to finally realize their over chargin like a mofo, which is why so very few ppl have dsl or cable, and make a change for the better (yet some idiots still pay &#036;25/m for aol&nbsp; :rolleyes: )
LOL...We pay 19.95 here in Cali. for Cable modem. :ph34r: [/b][/quote]
how fast is it?

ebidon
01-19-2004, 05:57 PM
lol im paying &#036;30 for 2.5Mbit down/1Mbit up. That is CHEAP&#33;&#33;&#33;

and for the guy who thinks everything can be solved by hacking, rofl&#33;&#33;&#33;
just u wait till the police knocks at your door... you think they take pirating seriously? well they take hacking more serious, cos there are better and stricter laws on that area... so be my guest... hack&#33; (i bet ur even a noob who can&#39;t, and has it all in your mouth&#33;)

mts04988
01-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ebidon@19 January 2004 - 17:57

just u wait till the police knocks at your door... you think they take pirating seriously? well they take hacking more serious, cos there are better and stricter laws on that area... so be my guest... hack&#33; (i bet ur even a noob who can&#39;t, and has it all in your mouth&#33;)
i believe as smart computer geniuses (genii for latin scholars) like to say...you are referring to CRACKING. Hacking & Cracking are different things...etc...

Basically
Hacking = knowledge = good
Cracking = malice = bad

...Google it my friend. Before a Computer Genius comes and shouts @ you.

ZeroTolerance
01-23-2004, 11:39 PM
whats wrong wth cracking its basically like hacking its just that your doing it with sofware

tontonel
01-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Hey guys &#33;
Nobody heard of SBC DSL ?
I pay 29.99/month and I&#39;m always able to download at the maximum bandwd
that is 1,5Mbs/sec (aprox 150Kb/sec).
SBC rocks. California rocks. AOL, MSN etc suck. It&#39;s really amazing that some people still pay like 21 &#036; for dial-up &#33;&#33;
It&#39;s so funny &#33;

NTWEAK
01-28-2004, 05:25 PM
does it really matter how much your internet cost are?
I pay 60.00 for my cable internet and I dont give a rats ass.
Can i aford it? Not really but whow cares it&#39;s the best that all that matters to me. :sneaky1:

tontonel
01-28-2004, 11:21 PM
NTWEAK &#33;

It doesn&#39;t matter how much the internet costs when you get hispeed internet. I was talking about people who pay about the same price for dial-up as DSL or Cable. I have a friend who&#39;s paying &#036;21/month and I keep on telling him move on, dump MSN and get DSL. He&#39;s still thinking. :frusty:
I don&#39;t get it. And it&#39;s not about money. :angry:

In the meantime the big and ugly :angry: Microsoft it&#39;s still making money out of him...