PDA

View Full Version : Protection On Music?

ronniT
12-22-2003, 05:34 AM
Hi all..sorry if i am sounding like a dumbarse but this is the first time i have posted here. i have not downloaded for a few weeks from here and now find that most songs have static in them..obviously some sort of protection. is this gonna be the standard thing to expect from now on..bit of a bummer...please let me know if this is a common problem or if i have just picked the wrong songs to download..thanks

Mik3ll
12-22-2003, 05:47 AM
They are currupted files from the RIAA.

camille
12-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Most probably :blink:

model-behavior
12-22-2003, 04:09 PM
I have found several hundred corrupted files while compiling several albums for my friend. It would seem that the RIAA is either inserting or blocking out parts of some tracks with high-pitched tones, sounds, Etc.

Luckily, none of MY artists have been affected yet. LOL.

I have found a remedy and it works 80% of the time. You can use "Roxio's Sound Editor" (virgin 6.0 - 6.2) to remove the unwanted sounds pretty easily, even if they are in the middle of the track. Then save your new edited virgin. In most cases, you can't even tell that the song has been edited!!!!!!!!!!! (Especially when doing DMX, Ludacris and the like - LOL! The gift CD's for my friend). You onlu loose a few seconds most of the time.

I learned to do it in 30 minutes without reading the manual. What's a manual? :blink:

I find it rather bizarre that "the mainstream artists" who I listen to have not had the RIAA do this yet on Kazaa, yet the RIAA has apparently taken this action on behalf of the "anti-establishment artists" who encourage such behavior and worse in their songs.

How positively ironic!!!!!

Samurai
12-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by model-behavior@22 December 2003 - 15:09
I have found several hundred corrupted files while compiling several albums for my friend. It would seem that the RIAA is either inserting or blocking out parts of some tracks with high-pitched tones, sounds, Etc.

Luckily, none of MY artists have been affected yet. LOL.

I have found a remedy and it works 80% of the time. You can use "Roxio's Sound Editor" (virgin 6.0 - 6.2) to remove the unwanted sounds pretty easily, even if they are in the middle of the track. Then save your new edited virgin. In most cases, you can't even tell that the song has been edited!!!!!!!!!!! (Especially when doing DMX, Ludacris and the like - LOL! The gift CD's for my friend). You onlu loose a few seconds most of the time.

I learned to do it in 30 minutes without reading the manual. What's a manual? :blink:

I find it rather bizarre that "the mainstream artists" who I listen to have not had the RIAA do this yet on Kazaa, yet the RIAA has apparently taken this action on behalf of the "anti-establishment artists" who encourage such behavior and worse in their songs.

How positively ironic!!!!!
I know it may seem that we're only downloading mp3's but I do not want to download tracks that have been altered this way. There is no need to use this software. Why don't you just download from the most amount of users. I want my tracks to be perfect, not cut and split and altered by Roxio's Sound Editor's amazing features. This really bugs me. Until such time where we can only download tracks which are all affected by static, leave it well alone.

model-behavior
12-22-2003, 04:21 PM
At first I tried that Samurai, but I found that almost everyone offering the files that I wanted were also sharing corrupted (protected) copies. There is no way to tell a corrupted copy from a good one until you play them back.

I can understand why this method can't be used for other files though. :)

nanotek
12-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Samurai@22 December 2003 - 16:14

I want my tracks to be perfect, not cut and split and altered by Roxio's Sound Editor's amazing features. This really bugs me. Until such time where we can only download tracks which are all affected by static, leave it well alone.
use soulseek :D

Samurai
12-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by model-behavior@22 December 2003 - 15:21
At first I tried that Samurai, but I found that almost everyone offering the files that I wanted were also sharing corrupted (protected) copies. There is no way to tell a corrupted copy from a good one until you play them back.

I can understand why this method can't be used for other files though. :)
ok well i'm suggesting you to download winmx. i've been using this since napster's demise and i've had one, yes one track that had static in it. i own 1400 mp3's at present.

BrokenRecord
12-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Hi all.First time posting here.I find that songs that are "corrupted" are usually in small caps, have unusually fast d/l times(usually 5-15 seconds) and most of the users have numbers in their names.Hope this helps.

Samurai
12-22-2003, 08:14 PM
That's a bit of a generalisation. I have numbers in my name. Does that mean I have dodgy files? Just download WinMX and let the good times roll...

... yeah!

good times...

DWells55
12-22-2003, 10:00 PM
WinMX and SoulSeek are spy/ad ware free, right?

guit_steel
12-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by model-behavior@22 December 2003 - 11:09
I have found several hundred corrupted files while compiling several albums for my friend.  It would seem that the RIAA is either inserting or blocking out parts of some tracks with high-pitched tones, sounds, Etc.
It's not just the RIAA. There r too many inexperienced rippers adding poor quality files to FT. Not to be critical (ur fix is well intentioned) but ur solution only illustrates how easily corrupted files make it onto the network.

If u want quality try SoulSeek or eMule. If u want quantity, stick with Kazaa.

Joe_Cool
12-22-2003, 11:06 PM
The best way to filter out bad files is to look at their quality.

It you cannot divide the quality of a file by 16 (112 128 160 192 etc) then 9 times out of 10 it's no good. If a file does not have a quality at all, then it's fake.

Please note that this is not the case with variable bit rate files (there are not a lot of them out there anyways)

Also, if you see files (with the exact same name) with different qualities but the same filesize, then they are probably both fake.

Whatever files you have left after going through the above steps (usually one or two with new songs) should be the real deal.

wenze1
12-23-2003, 01:54 AM
Just use more search options ang get songs that are at least 192kb/s.Most of the time they are not fakes.

longboneslinger
12-23-2003, 02:03 AM
Hmmm.....not an absolute rule. I always sort my searches by quality with 160 as a mimimum. This gives my fewer hits, but it makes it easier to sort through since the lost ones are so low as to be worthless. Face it, 128 is bare minimum....but I digress.....I just downloaded 'Shake ya tailfeather'. Thats Nelly, P. Diddy, and Murphy Lee from the Bad Boys 2 soundtrack (Awsome freaking movie!!) and it was bogus though the quality was 320 and there were in excess of 20 peeps sharing this file. I've had the same prob with a song from Jewel and 1 Creed.

I sit back to demo, cranked up the Klips well past 'anoy the hell out of the neighbors' level and start to jam. About 45 secs into the song, this god awful screeching comes out. :angry:I freak, think my Audigy Gamer just fried (it was only a couple days old!) then stops :angry:. It did it 3 freaking times!!!! Sounds like a demon dunked in Holy Water! I finally got a good copy, but it took 4 or 5 tries. The vid was a snap, the song was a M@#&$#F#@$&!

The moral? There is no real way to tell till you listen....and don't crank it till yer sure! Damn, that shit hurt!!