PDA

View Full Version : Usa On High Alert

chalice
12-22-2003, 07:46 AM
From BBC news...

US raises level of terror alert

New York remains a high profile target
The US Government has raised the nation's terror alert to its second-highest level.
Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge said the move followed a substantial increase in intelligence reports about possible threats.

Reports indicated that militants wanted to carry out attacks to exceed or rival those of 11 September, Mr Ridge said.

In New York, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said more police patrols would be now deployed at key sites in the city.

"We are stepping up our counterterrorism operations throughout the city... we always assume we will be a target," Mr Bloomberg said.

'Be vigilant'

At a news conference in Washington, Mr Ridge warned that aircraft could be used - as they were in 2001 - to carry out attacks on the American soil.

America is a country that will not be bent by terror, will not be broken by fear

"We continue to hear... the interest in using aircraft as a means of attack," he said.

Intelligence intercepts suggested that the threat now from al-Qaeda was greater than at any time since the attacks on New York and Washington, he added.

The tone of his statement was strong enough to signal this was not just a standard warning, the BBC's David Bamford in Washington says.

It reflected the authorities' real concern that something serious may be brewing.

But amid the warnings, Mr Ridge sought to reassure people, saying border security was being stepped up and airports were on full alert.

"Your government is at the ready 24 hours a day, seven days a week to stop terrorist attacks in the holiday season and beyond," Mr Ridge said.

He urged Americans to be vigilant, but to continue with their holiday plans and to enjoy the "spirit of the season".

"America is a country that will not be bent by terror, will not be broken by fear," he said.

His announcement means the national threat level is increased from yellow to orange.

The five-level colour-coded alert system was introduced after the 11 September attacks.

It has never been at the top red alert.

Taped threat

Speaking earlier on Sunday, General Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told US television officials were trying to determine whether the increase in electronic "chatter" being picked up was serious.

PREVIOUS ORANGE ALERTS
20 May 2003: after Saudi, Morocco bombings
17 Mar 2003: run-up to invasion of Iraq
7 Feb 2003: intelligence on increased al-Qaeda threat
10 Sep 2002: on first anniversary of 9/11 attacks

"There is no doubt, from all the intelligence we pick up from al-Qaeda, that they want to do way with our way of life," General Myers told Fox news.

Last Friday, the Arabic satellite channel al-Jazeera broadcast a tape said to be of Osama Bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, in which he vowed to defeat the US and warned that al-Qaeda was pursuing Americans "everywhere".

These are paronoid times indeed.

I'd like to wish everyone a safe and happy Christmas.

Nollaig Shona Duit.

Alex H
12-22-2003, 08:13 AM
Wow, the US is a terrorist target...again!

Merry Christmas all :newyear:

I.am
12-22-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Alex H@22 December 2003 - 03:13
Wow, the US is a terrorist target...again!

Merry Christmas all :newyear:
Your merry christmas wish is pretty innocent I hope otherwise the way it came out is utterly disgusting.

camille
12-22-2003, 08:31 AM
Since when did US have red alert? September 11!

chalice
12-22-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by camille@22 December 2003 - 08:31
Since when did US have red alert? September 11!
And your point?

blade1356uk
12-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Nice of the US Government to warn the terrorist's they are going to attack,I don't think they need any help in deflecting the target to another city.every one in the World need's to be on alert. Not only the USA, other country's have had losses because of scum terrorist's & I wish all the world a happy xmas & a peaceful new year.

Alex H
12-23-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by I.am+22 December 2003 - 08:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 22 December 2003 - 08:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alex H@22 December 2003 - 03:13
Wow, the US is a terrorist target...again&#33;

Merry Christmas all&nbsp; :newyear:
Your merry christmas wish is pretty innocent I hope otherwise the way it came out is utterly disgusting. [/b][/quote]
The Merry Christms part was...wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

My shock and surprise at the US being a terrorist target was just sarcasm. The biggest religious festival of the people the Islamic terrorist hate is coming up. You reckon they&#39;ll just take a break over the holiday season?

At the very least the US authorities can see the danger, and are covering their arses. "Hey, we warned you".

Having a permanent standing warning is a neat way out for them.

Evil Gemini
12-23-2003, 03:58 AM
:angry:

This is so stupid. Why on earth do they have to tell us on the news. Do they think the terrorists dont watch the news ??

You watch, when they brink the alert back down, it will be on the news too.

Jesus they have big mouths.

I swear, America and Australia are the only countries that reveal whats going on with their security.

And if is kept a secret, the media fucks them up anyways.

Ariel_001
12-23-2003, 06:07 AM
I do not understand this "High Alert" thing. Does this mean you guys are suppose start to get all paranoid about everything and start calling the FBI of you see something weird? Personally I see this as a sign that the terrorists might be winning if there goal(s) was to make you all paranoid and “fear the world” and whatnot.

3RA1N1AC
12-23-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Evil Gemini@22 December 2003 - 19:58
yeah, the filthy sand people were just greedily rubbing their hands together and thinking "ah ha&#33; we will express our grinch-like hatred of christmas by attacking the USA on december 24th and/or 25th&#33; they will never expect it&#33; however, if they announce a high alert level for this most obscure day of the christian year, we will postpone until a later date... like george washington&#39;s birthday, or 4th of july, or easter, or mardi gras, or arbor day..."

yes. i am making fun of you because you are gullible. be angry now.

Evil Gemini
12-23-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+23 December 2003 - 07:11--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 23 December 2003 - 07:11)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Evil Gemini@22 December 2003 - 19:58
yeah, the filthy sand people were just greedily rubbing their hands together and thinking "ah ha&#33; we will express our grinch-like hatred of christmas by attacking the USA on december 24th and/or 25th&#33; they will never expect it&#33; however, if they announce a high alert level for this most obscure day of the christian year, we will postpone until a later date... like george washington&#39;s birthday, or 4th of july, or easter, or mardi gras, or arbor day..."

yes. i am making fun of you because you are gullible. be angry now. [/b][/quote]
:blink:

chalice
12-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Having experienced all the wonder and excitement of Christmas bombings and murder sprees, I usually take heed when my security forces tell me to be vigilant. They are generally correct.

Or should they keep their spook stories for Halloween?

Would you all prefer them to tell you to kick back this Christmas and let the professionals do their jobs?

A little caution does no harm and could go aways to preventing some atrocity we might be posting about for years to come.

Busyman
12-23-2003, 02:08 PM
These terror alerts are meaningless.
They say there is an alert so often that there&#39;s no point of alerting. :blink:
Bush does this to somewhat relieve his administration if there is an attack.
Remember there was an uproar about the administration not warning us about 911.

Reporter: There was an attack on the Washington Monument.
Bush: Well........we warned you.

Evil Gemini
12-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Reporter: There was an attack on the Washington Monument.
Bush: Well........we warned you.

LMFAO&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

I can see that :D