PDA

View Full Version : The Festive Season

the_faceman
12-23-2003, 12:48 AM
I am the ripe old age of 21.

I have noticed that since I was about 13 or 14, this period of the year doesn't hold the same appeal as it once did. As i don't follow a religion as such, i enjoyed Christmas (or whatever you and yours call it, but i will refer to this period as Christmas from this point onwards, don't take offense, and don't expect an apology if you do, this is as good as it will get, a pre-warning) mainly because it was a time when i received some nice presents, and i was able to see my whole family at the party we had in my house. (also at the New Year too).

These days I still enjoy Christmas and New Year, but mainly for the social aspects ( good excuse to go out with friends - as if you need one :P ) and i feel that the general excitement of the time is gone. I also enjoy being able to give gifts to those i love and cherish, although i'm sure the heart-shaped pebble i found and gave to my Gran when i was 6 means just as much to her as whatever gift i buy for her this year.

Nothing surprising there i suppose, especially as this time of year holds little religious signifigance for myself.

I expect that when i am slightly older, married and have a few young kids that i'll enjoy this time more as i will be happy to see my kids excited. Disregarding of course the extra stress that Christmas brings for a lot, if not most people.

Do you feel the same way? Have the older members of the board found in their experience that Christmas means different things to you at different points in your life. I'd be interested to hear from you all (Commericial Christmas veterans like myself and Religious Festival followers alike)

Gemby!
12-23-2003, 12:51 AM
as you grow older it does lose its appeal a bit - the suprise of what 'santa' gets you goes and then its just one of those holidays - but this year has been quite good for me so :)

its better when there are little kids about

Lamsey
12-23-2003, 12:52 AM
I don't see it as religious either. I believe that Christ existed, and was a revolutionary phiosopher and general good bloke. So it seems fair enough to celebrate his birth by being nice to each other (giving presents, having social gatherings, etc).

It's also nice as a winter festival - something to take the chill off the month of December.

Everyone justifies Christmas in different ways. The most important thing is that you enjoy it. :)

Samurai
12-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Agreed. Christmas is really for the children. I'm also 21, and realised this when I was about 15 or 16. Let the young ones enjoy it ;)

J'Pol
12-23-2003, 12:58 AM
It is feckin brilliant when you have young kids mate. I am really enjoying the period - I love all the tack and the nonsense it involves.

I agree that the heart shaped stone probably meant more to your Gran than any present you could ever buy. It was the look on your face when you gave it to her that mattered, not a material thing.

This is soppy and uncool (I know that) but this time of year is just brilliant. People should let their hair down, be stupid wee kids and have a laugh.

Watch "It's A Wonderful Life" and cry a wee bit. Not the colourised version tho' only a moronic American could consider that a good idea. If he had colour available he would have made a different film.

Proper Bo
12-23-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by J'Pol@23 December 2003 - 01:58
It is feckin brilliant when you have young kids mate. I am really enjoying the period - I love all the tack and the nonsense it involves.

I agree that the heart shaped stone probably meant more to your Gran than any present you could ever buy. It was the look on your face when you gave it to her that mattered, not a material thing.

This is soppy and uncool (I know that) but this time of year is just brilliant. People should let their hair down, be stupid wee kids and have a laugh.

Watch "It's A Wonderful Life" and cry a wee bit. Not the colourised version tho' only a moronic American could consider that a good idea. If he had colour available he would have made a different film.
J'

Just because you are old enough to drink now, doesn't mean you have to all the time.

J'Pol
12-23-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@23 December 2003 - 01:52
I don't see it as religious either. I believe that Christ existed, and was a revolutionary phiosopher and general good bloke. So it seems fair enough to celebrate his birth by being nice to each other (giving presents, having social gatherings, etc).

It's also nice as a winter festival - something to take the chill off the month of December.

Everyone justifies Christmas in different ways. The most important thing is that you enjoy it. :)
That's very phiosophical of you grammar mod.

Oh and I don't feel any need to justify it, so I don't.

J'Pol
12-23-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee+23 December 2003 - 02:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Proper Bo, I tell thee @ 23 December 2003 - 02:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@23 December 2003 - 01:58

Watch "It&#39;s A Wonderful Life" and cry a wee bit. Not the colourised version tho&#39; only a moronic American could consider that a good idea. If he had colour available he would have made a different film.
J&#39;

Just because you are old enough to drink now, doesn&#39;t mean you have to all the time. [/b][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually it does - they will explain it to you when you come of age.

sparsely
12-23-2003, 01:22 AM
get it over with already.
I want the damn summer back.

the_faceman
12-23-2003, 01:32 AM
there&#39;s a point. i think that i suffer mildy from that SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). In the winter i wouldn&#39;t say i&#39;m depressed, but like many people i feel down, and i lose most of my motivation. In the summer however, i try to do as much as possible and generally feel much better. I think i&#39;d do better at uni if it was over the summer months, but that would mean having my holidays in the winter, so i can&#39;t win.

wow, i just de-railed my own thread. :rolleyes:

TheDave
12-23-2003, 02:30 AM
ive noticed this year, that now i can afford to buy me stuff that christmas is unexciting because i dont get a big present this year. that wasnt meant to sound selfish but it kinda takes the excitement out of christmas <_<

dingoBaby
12-23-2003, 06:35 AM
I like the holidays because its a chance to see the whole family in one place. Its also a great time of year for catching up with old friends.

When I was in my teens and early 20&#39;s, I didn&#39;t really care for the holidays. I would much rather have been off doing my own thing. Thats been the biggest change for me, as I have grown a little bit older.

That being said, here in the States there are still a lot of reasons to dislike the holiday season. Anyone who has had the misfortune of going anywhere near a mall in the last week or so can attest to that fact.

Busyman
12-23-2003, 06:46 AM
It&#39;s for the kids.
Other than that I have a habit of looking beneath the surface.
In the US, Christmas is a huge commercial day.

clocker
12-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Busyman@22 December 2003 - 23:46
It&#39;s for the kids.
Other than that I have a habit of looking beneath the surface.
In the US, Christmas is a huge commercial day.
Don&#39;t look too deeply do you?
You think Americans sit around on Christmas day and count money?
Being trite doesn&#39;t qualify as "looking beneath the surface".

clocker
12-23-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by the_faceman@22 December 2003 - 17:48
I am the ripe old age of 21.

I have noticed that since I was about 13 or 14, this period of the year doesn&#39;t hold the same appeal as it once did.
Of course it doesn&#39;t.
Fortunately, as you grow even older, the meaning and the method of enjoying this time of year will change and you&#39;ll find that you can enjoy it again.
JPaul hit it on the head with his post.

Sparkle1984
12-23-2003, 03:40 PM
I&#39;m 19, and like it just as much as I did when I was 5 years old &#33;&#33; I&#39;ll never grow out of it&#33;&#33; :lol: :D

Skweeky
12-23-2003, 03:49 PM
ugh...I don&#39;t mind it, but I&#39;m not actually celebrating it. My mum and my sis are going to my brother (who has 6 kids) and I really don&#39;t feel like going there, so I&#39;ll just enjoy myself. I just saw Papillon is on tomorrow night, good excuse to finally see that film&#33;

I hope everyone will enjoy their evening, one way or another

Peace :)

TRshady
12-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Children nowadays don&#39;t care at all what Christmas is about. all they know is that it involves lots of sweets and presents. I certainly don&#39;t see it as special as I use to, then again .. who does? Its a depressing time for most people which I&#39;ve come to notice. People like my dad who I know doesn&#39;t enjoy it as it&#39;s stressful because everyone expects presents and my having to spend so much and have so much stress, Christmas loses a lot ...