PDA

View Full Version : Copyright

timanfiya
12-23-2003, 01:08 AM
I recieved an email from my ISP stating that they had recieved a complaint from Universal Studio's about copyright infringment from my IP address. They stated that I was in breech of my contract with them and enclosed the letter from universal.

It basically had all the details of a movie I downloaded and when, my IP address and DNS name. It just said that they knew I was illegally sharing copyright movies and that although they have certain legal remidies available to them it beniefits everyone to settle this co-operativley - and they go on to say that they urge my internet provider to stop this infringment activity and to inform them of their action.

Does anyone have any advise?

I was using Bittorrent at the time. Should I stop using Bittorrent??

The letter doesn't look that threatening - can they acually do anything if they catch me again, or should I say are they likely to do anything?

Is my service provider aloud to give people like Universal any of my personal details??

h121589
12-23-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 01:08

The letter doesn't look that threatening - can they acually do anything if they catch me again, or should I say are they likely to do anything?

Is my service provider aloud to give people like Universal any of my personal details??

Should I stop using Bittorrent??
yes

can they acually do anything if they catch me again, or should I say are they likely to do anything?

yes they can sew u 4 using internet 4 illlegal activity's (kazaa is ok they probaly wont find out that u use kazaa)

no, i dont think so

Rock Tonic Juice Magic
12-23-2003, 01:44 AM
what internet provider do you use :(

DWk
12-23-2003, 02:11 AM
other than telling them to shove the letter up their asses...i see nothing u can do :P

btw....i heard that Universal Studios had a computer with the movies so that ppl downloaded em so they knew who was leeching the movie...

tsk tsk

Alex H
12-23-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by DWk@23 December 2003 - 02:11
btw....i heard that Universal Studios had a computer with the movies so that ppl downloaded em so they knew who was leeching the movie...

tsk tsk
Sounds like entrapment.

Doesn't that mean they're the ones putting the movie out on the internet? If so, you could argue that it was their own actions that caused you to download the file. If they didn't have it being broardcast across the world, you wouldn't have found it and downloaded it, right?

Failing that, say it was a friend or a cousin or a little brother who downloaded it without your knowledge. You have warned them, and have deleted it from your computer.

And no, I don't think they're allowed to get your details from your ISP.

Adster
12-23-2003, 03:31 AM
If it was me Id say fuck off and keep using Bit Torrent Logically ISP just wants your money they don't give a shit what you do on the net

Monkeee
12-23-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 01:08
I recieved an email from my ISP stating that they had recieved a complaint from Universal Studio's about copyright infringment from my IP address. They stated that I was in breech of my contract with them and enclosed the letter from universal.

It basically had all the details of a movie I downloaded and when, my IP address and DNS name. It just said that they knew I was illegally sharing copyright movies and that although they have certain legal remidies available to them it beniefits everyone to settle this co-operativley - and they go on to say that they urge my internet provider to stop this infringment activity and to inform them of their action.

Does anyone have any advise?

whats your ISP? if its comcast i'm not suprised but if its something else tell me!! :o

Skillian
12-23-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Adster@23 December 2003 - 02:31
If it was me Id say fuck off and keep using Bit Torrent Logically ISP just wants your money they don't give a shit what you do on the net
Exactly. The ISP have to pass the complaint on but in all probability they don't care. The chances on you getting caught once were pretty slim, so its pretty unlikely you'll get caught again.

neevakee
12-23-2003, 07:14 AM
yeah you proablly will only get caught once, but now always run peerguardian or at leat put the baad ips into your firewall. Just to give you piece of mind
Also be carefull because they may also be watching you evencloser now, just dont mess with universals stuff the industry eems to be picky on certain types of movies and that may have been one.

Also it is my one year anniversary yeah

abu_has_the_power
12-23-2003, 07:16 AM
i have a few qs:
1. wat's ur isp?
2. were u using any protection (not condoms). like ip-imported firewall or router or peerguardian
3. wat movie were u dling?

james_bond_rulez
12-23-2003, 07:26 AM
my advice to u

send a letter to ur isp stating u had nothing to do with this and it was a trojan program on ur computer and now u've fixed it

stop using bt

go to www.anonx.com and subscribe an account

start using bt with anonx on

;)

for more detail look here http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=...view=getnewpost (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=85740&view=getnewpost)

ScotchGuy
12-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by h121589@22 December 2003 - 17:40

can they acually do anything if they catch me again, or should I say are they likely to do anything?

yes they can sew u 4 using internet 4 illlegal activity's (kazaa is ok they probaly wont find out that u use kazaa)
Hahaha, Kazaa is okay? Are you fucking serious?

OH NO! I hope I don't get sewn up too. Sewing jeans is the toughest.

Adster
12-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by neevakee@23 December 2003 - 17:14
yeah you proablly will only get caught once, but now always run peerguardian or at leat put the baad ips into your firewall. Just to give you piece of mind
Also be carefull because they may also be watching you evencloser now, just dont mess with universals stuff the industry eems to be picky on certain types of movies and that may have been one.

Also it is my one year anniversary yeah
You think runnign PG will solve Bit torrent problems???

You stil don;t know who your uploadign too

Monkeee
12-23-2003, 10:09 AM
does peer gurdian actually help? :blink:

Adster
12-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Monkeee@23 December 2003 - 20:09
does peer gurdian actually help? :blink:
IF you want my honest Opinion

no i think its a heap of shit

it blocks Innocent people most of the time if anything

oh if you worked for the RIAA would you be dumb enough to use the same IP address all the time ???

but this is coming from an Aussie and people say "your an Aussie you don't have to be paranoid unless you live in the US"

timanfiya
12-23-2003, 11:17 AM
My ISP is Plus net - they just seemed to be informing me of the letter and breifly highlighted that I was in breech of my contract and asked me to disallow sharing.

I suppose I was more bothered about what universal could do, but if Plus net cannot give them my details what can they do!!??

I was using Zone Alarm - but just the free version , not pro.

The movie was intolerable cruelty

And can you believe it , this was (I think) the very first time I used Bittorrent,

guit_steel
12-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by h121589@22 December 2003 - 20:40

I tend to agree with the folks who have said that it is unlikely that lightning will strike twice unless ur not taking the proper precautions.

That said, could someone explain to me why Kazaa is safer than BT? Unless ur running KL++ ur almost naked on Kazaa net. Not only that, but Kazaa is THE primary network that the MPAA and RIAA r targeting. Sure ur chances of getting nabbed r slim on any network, but these guys r doing more fishing on Kazaa than anywhere else, so more of their victims will come from there.

Maybe it's not too late to go to the KL Board section and nominate this post for silliest of the year. :P

timanfiya
12-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by guit_steel+23 December 2003 - 11:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (guit_steel @ 23 December 2003 - 11:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-h121589@22 December 2003 - 20:40

yes they can sew u 4 using internet 4 illlegal activity&#39;s (kazaa is ok they probaly wont find out that u use kazaa)
I tend to agree with the folks who have said that it is unlikely that lightning will strike twice unless ur not taking the proper precautions.

That said, could someone explain to me why Kazaa is safer than BT? Unless ur running KL++ ur almost naked on Kazaa net. Not only that, but Kazaa is THE primary network that the MPAA and RIAA r targeting. Sure ur chances of getting nabbed r slim on any network, but these guys r doing more fishing on Kazaa than anywhere else, so more of their victims will come from there.

Maybe it&#39;s not too late to go to the KL Board section and nominate this post for silliest of the year. :P [/b][/quote]
What are the best precautions I can take, I don&#39;t know all that much about the different firewalls and opening up ports and all that&#33;&#33;

Would it be worth while upgrading to zone alarm pro??

**GASHA**
12-23-2003, 11:55 AM
I too had an e-mail from the big boys about 2 years ago. It basically said "The games up mutha fucker, we own your ass (er your isp Freeserve) and here&#39;s all the details of what you were downloading. IP address, name of file, my telephone no. etc etc etc. The file I was getting was &#39;Seinfield&#39; and they threatened to close my account immediatley, more a warning than anything. I ignored the mail and continued to download whatever and have never heard from them since :)

timanfiya
12-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I still think I need to get sort of professional fire wall up before I do anything - I&#39;ve been looking at either upgrading to Zone alarm Pro or Norton Internet Security Pro 2004.

Will either of these be any good? Or both -if they would both work at the same time properly???

Would peerguardian work with these - or do I need to bother with this if I have them?

L0rD_S0tH
12-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 06:27

I still think I need to get sort of professional fire wall up before I do anything - I&#39;ve been looking at either upgrading to Zone alarm Pro or Norton Internet Security Pro 2004.

Will either of these be any good? Or both -if they would both work at the same time properly???

Would peerguardian work with these - or do I need to bother with this if I have them?
I wouldn&#39;t go with NIS Pro 2004. Norton is good at antivirus but their firewall sux. Stick with ZA Pro or go with Sygate or mcafee who has a great firewall IMO. Also run peerguardian along with your firewall and most importantly whichever you use, update often&#33;

Also I am sure you CAN run multiple firewalls at once but I don&#39;t believe it is really neccassary. I dunno I&#39;ve never done it before but from what others have told me it is just a waste of resources to run multiple firewalls.

mark845
12-23-2003, 02:54 PM
u say u were useing bt? im sure i read on the bt forum that other people can not see wot u are dl coz its just a hash, not even the mods can see wot its, only u can this all they can see

http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/231203-hash.JPG

neevakee
12-23-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 06:27

yeah i have had norton upuntill a week ago and then it crashed adn norton cannot be reinstalled for some reason. So i switched to zone alarm pro i will pm you a serial 3 if you want one. All you need is the serial number and you can download it directly from zonealarms website. Also there are progras that allow you to plug all of the ip addresses from peerguardian while with norton you have to plug them all in by hand.

abu_has_the_power
12-23-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 06:17
My ISP is Plus net - they just seemed to be informing me of the letter and breifly highlighted that I was in breech of my contract and asked me to disallow sharing.

I suppose I was more bothered about what universal could do, but if Plus net cannot give them my details what can they do&#33;&#33;??

And can you believe it , this was (I think) the very first time I used Bittorrent,
my advice. call isp. tell them ur comp had a virus. just like someone up there said. then tell them that ur cancelling ur service. ;)
in the meantime, buy urself a good router, like a linksys, us robotics, or dlink. and configure it to allow bt ports. then get ursef a good firewall. like zonealarm pro or sygate. import all the ips of the shitheads that will sue u, and sit back and dl as much as u want. but what i would do is cancel ur current internet service, and start a new one under a different name. that process changes ur ip add, so those companies can&#39;t trace u any more. that always works

timanfiya
12-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by neevakee+23 December 2003 - 16:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (neevakee @ 23 December 2003 - 16:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 06:27

yeah i have had norton upuntill a week ago and then it crashed adn norton cannot be reinstalled for some reason. So i switched to zone alarm pro i will pm you a serial 3 if you want one. All you need is the serial number and you can download it directly from zonealarms website. Also there are progras that allow you to plug all of the ip addresses from peerguardian while with norton you have to plug them all in by hand. [/b][/quote]
I think I might give Zone Alarm pro a go as I already have the free version.

Thanks Neevakee, would be great if you could PM that serial, cheers&#33;&#33; :D

timanfiya
12-23-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+23 December 2003 - 17:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 23 December 2003 - 17:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 06:17

I suppose I was more bothered about what universal could do, but if Plus net cannot give them my details what can they do&#33;&#33;??

my advice. call isp. tell them ur comp had a virus. just like someone up there said. then tell them that ur cancelling ur service. ;)
in the meantime, buy urself a good router, like a linksys, us robotics, or dlink. and configure it to allow bt ports. then get ursef a good firewall. like zonealarm pro or sygate. import all the ips of the shitheads that will sue u, and sit back and dl as much as u want. but what i would do is cancel ur current internet service, and start a new one under a different name. that process changes ur ip add, so those companies can&#39;t trace u any more. that always works [/b][/quote]
Thanks for advice, but I&#39;m a bit unsure about blocking / importing the ips of those "shitheads who will sue" me?????

How do I know what those ips are , how do I find them??

Do I just configure zone alarm pro to block them??

Sorry but I really know jack shit about firewalls and ips etc.. which is probably why I got caught out in the first place&#33;&#33;&#33;

Anyone plz help???&#33;&#33;"&#33;&#33;&#33;

Monkeee
12-23-2003, 06:34 PM
just get SBC YAHOO DSL they dont care shit if you download movies....

neevakee
12-24-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 11:57

Thanks for advice, but I&#39;m a bit unsure about blocking / importing the ips of those "shitheads who will sue" me?????

Sorry but I really know jack shit about firewalls and ips etc.. which is probably why I got caught out in the first place&#33;&#33;&#33;

All right here is what you can do download the program from the following site and enjoy. Make sure you read the instructions or you will get very confused. http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/ credi is given to james_bond_rulez for this link

timanfiya
12-24-2003, 02:03 PM
Cheers Navakee, I&#39;m going to read and install it now.

From what I gather so far, it updates and installs all bad ips, and this includes people like universal?

Samurai
12-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by neevakee@24 December 2003 - 04:21
All right here is what you can do download the program from the following site and enjoy.&nbsp; Make sure you read the instructions or you will get very confused.&nbsp; http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/ credi is given to james_bond_rulez for this link
Is there anything similar to this I can install for Sygate?

Samurai
12-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Bump

timanfiya
12-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by neevakee+24 December 2003 - 05:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (neevakee @ 24 December 2003 - 05:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-timanfiya@23 December 2003 - 11:57

All right here is what you can do download the program from the following site and enjoy. Make sure you read the instructions or you will get very confused. http://home.comcast.net/~zaupdate/ credi is given to james_bond_rulez for this link [/b][/quote]
just upgraded to Zone Alarm Pro and installed and ran the update - got all the ips blocked now, thanks&#33;&#33;&#33;

Is there any point in installing peerguardian now I have this update?

Does anyone have a good info link on what ips I will need to allow in order to use bittorrent with Zone Alam Pro and on how I do this??

Is there anything else I can do to prevent being caught out again by peeps like universal. ??

Mobas
12-24-2003, 05:32 PM
*deleted post*

timanfiya
12-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Might think about giving up on bittorrent then, atleast for the time being.

In the mean time got another prob now, Certain sights such as the cd cover sight i use won&#39;t work properly with zone alarm pro on and the blocked ips.

I don&#39;t really understand how I can get past this without turning the firewall off&#33;&#33;?

Can anyone help, or show me a link that is simple to understand&#33;?

Cheers

neevakee
12-25-2003, 12:59 AM
the only point to them (bad ips) is that it would prevent them form accesing your file therefor leagaly they can not prove you are sharing the file. Although they cna twist it and turn it any way also peergaurdain is a sort of firewall but it only blocks certain ips as aposed to ZA it blocks all the bad things. Also on the sygate issue i know the answer i just don&#39;t have the time. Have to go have christmas eve dinner with family. I will get back to you on that.

Samurai
12-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by neevakee@24 December 2003 - 23:59
the only point to them (bad ips) is that it would prevent them form accesing your file therefor leagaly they can not prove you are sharing the file. Although they cna twist it and turn it any way also peergaurdain is a sort of firewall but it only blocks certain ips as aposed to ZA it blocks all the bad things. Also on the sygate issue i know the answer i just don&#39;t have the time. Have to go have christmas eve dinner with family. I will get back to you on that.
Many thanks. Have a great Christmas neevakee

Samurai :ph34r:

sparsely
12-25-2003, 10:01 AM
very simply, notify your ISP that the file has been deleted, was just something named wrong, was something someone else had
downloaded...whatever, really.
they don&#39;t care.
the letter, from their perspective, is simply a CYA move so the MPAA or whoever doesn&#39;t sue them.
If your ISP can say that they were told, in good faith, that you&#39;d removed the file, or disabled sharing, or sold your computer
to a drug dealer for your crack habit, they&#39;re happy.

ISPs know quite well that the main attraction of more expensive high-speed connections is p2p. As long as they&#39;re getting their money,
they&#39;re happy.
Don&#39;t sweat the letter, have fun with it.

timanfiya
12-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Just been speaking to my brother and he seems to think that when they catch you on bittorent they put something onto your harddrive so they can see whatever else you download in future. He thinks I need to format my drive because it can&#39;t be deleted. Does anyone know about this??

Anyway thanks to all and have a very merry christmas&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

james_bond_rulez
12-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by timanfiya@25 December 2003 - 04:37
Just been speaking to my brother and he seems to think that when they catch you on bittorent they put something onto your harddrive so they can see whatever else you download in future. He thinks I need to format my drive because it can&#39;t be deleted. Does anyone know about this??

Anyway thanks to all and have a very merry christmas&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
mmm yeah ur brother is bsing u :lol:

Bobohiotk
12-25-2003, 06:50 PM
timanfaya,
The best advice you are going to find on this board comes from James Bond Rulez. BUT.............you will have to read the entire thread to fully understand all the issues. Here&#39;s the link again:

http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=...view=getnewpost

Using an IP block list does nothing. Think about it. All one would have to do is look into your shared folder from a different IP address. The only way to solve this problem is through a combination of encryption AND blocking your IP address via a proxy server. Anonx.com is the way to go at the moment. For a lousy &#036;5.95, you can have peace of mind. Think about all the time and grief you would avoid by doing this. Isn&#39;t that worth &#036;5.95?

james_bond_rulez
12-26-2003, 02:26 AM
actually i&#39;ve stopped using firewall blocking ip, just slowed down my system and internet so much.

yeah pm anonxo for 10 free days of testing out anonx

it&#39;s worth it