PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve?

DarthInsinuate
12-23-2003, 10:35 AM
is it the day before Christmas or the night before Christmas? - my calender says the former, but the name suggests the latter

Adster
12-23-2003, 10:48 AM
well Ive already had my Christmas with my family blah blah opening presents feels very weird having had it yet the day hasn't come

BTW Aussies get to have Christmas day whist the rest of the world are waking up on Christmas eve :P

Spider_dude
12-23-2003, 12:17 PM
this is xmas eve eve.

J'Pol
12-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by DarthInsinuate@23 December 2003 - 11:35
is it the day before Christmas or the night before Christmas? - my calender says the former, but the name suggests the latter
I have always taken it to be the day before Christmas Day, however I see your point.

Spider_dude
12-23-2003, 12:42 PM
eve actually means day. so it is in effect the day before christ was born.

mrlessk
12-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Good question and very timely,
When we say "eve" we immediately think of "the latter part and close of the day and early part of the night" or "the period from sunset or the evening meal to bedtime". Possibly associating "eve" with the time from sunset until midnight, the beginning of the next day.
However, in the context of "Christmas Eve" it is usually assumed to mean "the day before this special day".

Spider_dude tends to reinforce this with his statement....
"this is xmas eve eve." which, technically is quite accurate...though the sun has not yet risen on this "Christmas eve-eve"(at least where I am anyway) the entire 24 hours of this day is considered the "eve" (of Christmas eve).
mrlessk :newyear:

camille
12-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Whatever is? December 25 is our X' mas day! cheers! :)