PDA

View Full Version : Add On Domains

TRshady
12-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Someone explain what the hell these are please :)

"Addon Domains are domain names that point to subdirectories within your account."

Doesn't help much as I see no difference between sub domains ....
Thanks

I.am
12-26-2003, 08:45 AM
In my understanding , there isnt much difference either.

Having an addon domain only helps you to remember the name easily instead of having www.myforum.thisismysite.com and have www.myforum.com.

I guess if the stuff in your directory is unrelated to your main site then have addon domain. Like your main site is about shopping and you write poetry, it would be useless to have poetry.shop4me.com as your main url. And you would be better of going with poetry4me.com etc.

ck-uk
12-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Or another way you could look at it mate ..You have your site finished ,say trshady.com & you have space left on your account/webspace to build another around eminem..instead of having it as say "emnem/trshady.com".You could register another domain name "eminem.com" pointing to "eminem/trshady.com. :)

Or what iam said...i suppose mate its just a user friendly thing instead of messing around out side your account with dns,redirects etc.. :)

I.am
12-26-2003, 11:02 PM
@ck-uk,

emnem/trshady.com

what format is that :lol:
its either eminem.trshady.com or trshady.com/eminem if the top level domain is trshady.com.

Just noticed :)

TRshady
12-27-2003, 12:35 AM
oh ok, I get it now. So in a way trshady.com is an add-on domain to trshady.ashst.com, only its set up a forwarding. Thanks people, I get it now :D