PDA

View Full Version : People Being Picked On

Sparkle1984
12-24-2003, 01:39 PM
I am referring to This Topic (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=88307) in the mIRC section.

As you can see, someone called Venom_il decided to pick a fight with Mogadishu because he had a slogan in his signature saying "Free Palestine".

3rd gen noob and I argued that Mogadishu has the right to free speech.

And then Venom and Secret Squirrel told me off, for hijacking their topic, and to make a topic in the Lounge!! But it was Venom who hijacked it in the first place, as you can see.

But I still believe Mogadishu has not said or done anything that's against the rules, and should be allowed to express his opinion without being harrassed.

Pete Waterman
12-24-2003, 01:40 PM
hey kid, i suggest you pm a mod if you aren't happy with the decisions, i suggest that kid with the monobrow, he has always been helpful.

thewizeard
12-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@24 December 2003 - 13:39
I am referring to This Topic (http://klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=88307) in the mIRC section.

As you can see, someone called Venom_il decided to pick a fight with Mogadishu because he had a slogan in his signature saying "Free Palestine".

3rd gen noob and I argued that Mogadishu has the right to free speech.

And then Venom and Secret Squirrel told me off, for hijacking their topic, and to make a topic in the Lounge!!  But it was Venom who hijacked it in the first place, as you can see.

But I still believe Mogadishu has not said or done anything that's against the rules, and should be allowed to express his opinion without being harrassed.
:o Of course you are right...Now get rid of that stupid sig that you have got! :)

Spider_dude
12-24-2003, 01:54 PM
i actually do agree with sparkle and gnoob and moga, although my political feelings can be related to mogas sig with what is happening in northern ireland, i do not find mogas signature offensive.

DanB
12-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Spider_dude@24 December 2003 - 14:54
i actually do agree with sparkle and gnoob and moga, although my political feelings can be related to mogas sig with what is happening in northern ireland, i do not find mogas signature offensive.
Nor do I.

I don't find protests about people's beliefs wrong either.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing :P

J'Pol
12-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Those who speak freely and support the right to do this generally support it for others as well.

If you support his right to have the sig (which I do) then you must support other people's right to object.

Or do you take it to be a one way thing.

Spider_dude
12-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@24 December 2003 - 13:59
Those who speak freely and support the right to do this generally support it for others as well.

If you support his right to have the sig (which I do) then you must support other people's right to object.

jp they are free to object we never said it was wrong it was simply the way they went about it which i am sure pissed sparkle off.

Sparkle1984
12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@24 December 2003 - 12:59

Yes I support Venom's right to object if he wants to. But I don't like the way he started swearing, saying that Mogadishu should be banned, and the way he hijacked the topic and started accusing me of doing the same!!

J'Pol
12-24-2003, 02:15 PM
As a chap said - that is what the mods are for.

There is no such thing as total freedom of expression. It simply could not work in real life. Neither could it work here.

Someone has to arbitrate (or moderate) and decide if things have gone (or are going to go) too far. If you think this is the case then let a moderator know and they will decide. If necessary they will remove the offending posts, from both sides.

Unless mogadihu has changed his sig recently he has had it for quite some time. That being the case I feel confident in saying that the mods have no objection to it. All that remains to decide on is if anyone went too far in expressing their objection to it, or indeed their support for it.

Sparkle1984
12-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Well Venom seems to have cooled down a bit now, but he is still asking that the moderators demand that Mogadishu remove his sig.

Venom seems to think that the sig is a personal attack on his country, whereas I see it as an attack on his country's government policy - 2 very different things.

So is he going to go round the whole internet, demanding that all websites etc that criticise his goverment be removed?! Because he is going to be in for a very busy time, and I think it is vital that freedom of expression be supported.

Illuminati
12-24-2003, 04:32 PM
The mods act as judges here to minimise vigilante action, not to give the forum some looks (though NikkiD fulfills both ;))

My honest opinion is that while both sides decisions in this matter, both are in the wrong anyway - Venom for making public views that should have been expressed privately to the mods via PM (as well as attempting the thread to go off-topic in the process), while Mogadishu should have known better than to get involved in a heated discussion with someone who wasn't mature enough to handle the flames.

I suggest someone PM a moderator to handle the off-topic situation in that topic ASAP.

Rappy
12-24-2003, 05:10 PM
well i agree with him too but even if i didn't we should put what we want in our sig without being insulted about it