PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake In Iran

junkyardking
12-27-2003, 04:51 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3350357.stm

At least 20,000 people have died in the huge earthquake which struck south-eastern Iran, according to officials.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200312/r13801_33391.jpg

The ancient citadel in the picture is reported to be almost complety destroyed.

Mihkel
12-27-2003, 07:34 AM
officals say that the number of dead can reach as high as 20.000 but according to preliminary evidence there are 5000-6000 casualties.

mogadishu
12-30-2003, 01:12 AM
no one seems to realize how huge this is. the lowest estimates are atleast 25k..
thats like 10x as much sept 11th.. but no one seems to care. There are people walking around with no family members who once had 50 person families. Tens of thousands dont have homes.. its so awful.

CNN.com's big story is tom ridge talking about homeland security. On the right where the secondary stories are, the news of the quake is behind saddam and NASDAQ!!! It makes me want to puke.

Do these people not count!???

MagicNakor
12-30-2003, 02:47 AM
It's been confirmed 22,000 dead (12 hours ago). Estimates go as high as 40,000.

With those numbers, it's entire generations and smaller communities completely wiped out.

It's all over the news here. However, being part of the "axis of evil," it could be a rather sticky sitution diplomatically, at least for Bush, and the American media probably reflects that.

http://www.sacredsites.com/december2001photos/506.jpg

Bam was a beautiful ancient city, but with so many people in such a place, a high death toll really couldn't have been avoided.

:ninja:

j2k4
12-30-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by mogadishu@29 December 2003 - 21:12
no one seems to realize how huge this is. the lowest estimates are atleast 25k..
thats like 10x as much sept 11th.. but no one seems to care. There are people walking around with no family members who once had 50 person families. Tens of thousands dont have homes.. its so awful.

CNN.com's big story is tom ridge talking about homeland security. On the right where the secondary stories are, the news of the quake is behind saddam and NASDAQ!!! It makes me want to puke.

There are distinctions that should be drawn here, mogadishu.

The responsibility for the Iran earthquake that has decimated Bam does not accrue to any country (at least, I don't think so-you may have another opinion) or other earthly entity, so to equate this tragedy to 9/11 is fallacious and facetious on your part, as there was a responsible party in that instance.

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that your attempt to draw a parallel between the two tragedies, while inappropriate in the extreme, is also indicative of your bias, said bias being the only possible reason for your bringing this absurd comparison.

By the way, I was watching FOXNEWS when the story broke; they were all over it, leading with it as details emerged.

One could almost say FOXNEWS' coverage reeked of a certain humane empathy most here would not believe possible.

CNN is, as everyone knows, the network of elitists.

I pray for the people of Bam. :(

scribblec
12-31-2003, 01:19 AM
the toll is at 50,000

Biggles
12-31-2003, 12:33 PM
This is a tragic incident and it is heartening to see that people are setting aside politics in order to bring what little help there can be after an event like this.

The world seems like a safe place but moments like this show ephemeral life on the surface of a large rock hurtling through space can be.

Nothing can bring solace to those whose loss is too great to bear, but we should give thought to those who live on these danger zones and perhaps assist more before the events occur.

The news coverage is always skewed in favour of home news. In some cases more grotesquely than others, but usually with a degree of sympathy for the overseas victims. I have only seen the BBC's but the coverage has been considerable and distressing.

Cotton
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu@30 December 2003 - 01:12

Who gives a shit about iranies, the earthquake done half the work now lets finish the job!!!!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF SISSYS U GUYS ARE, o its so sad STFU Pussys.

Close this thread dont support freedom of speech about crap countries.

THE MIDDLE EAST SUCKS, KILL THEM ALL!!!

Biggles
12-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Cotton

If little children crushed beneath rubble floats your boat who are we to argue?

:helpsmile:

Cotton
12-31-2003, 12:59 PM
At times like these all you can do is laugh...

At those Dirty Dune Coons

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cotton
12-31-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@31 December 2003 - 12:57
Cotton

If little children crushed beneath rubble floats your boat who are we to argue?

:helpsmile:
Those Dirty Middle Easteners Celebrate the destruction of the Towers, i celebrate the destrcution of their rocks... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ilw
12-31-2003, 01:26 PM
Another troller :sleep1:

if your looking to get a rise from someone, I don't think you'll find it here (hopefully).

PhloX
12-31-2003, 02:56 PM
When I first heard this news it was reported that it could be 70,000.

BawA
12-31-2003, 03:11 PM
arround 40 to 50 r killed, "Khatami" said

scribblec
01-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ilw@31 December 2003 - 13:26
Another troller :sleep1:

if your looking to get a rise from someone, I don't think you'll find it here (hopefully).
what lonly fucks

you know i hope there family get crushed by a earthquake or something <_<

i find any tragedy to be bad

be it 9/11 or any earthquake its never a good thing thats for sure

mogadishu
01-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by j2k4+30 December 2003 - 01:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 30 December 2003 - 01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@29 December 2003 - 21:12

CNN.com&#39;s big story is tom ridge talking about homeland security. On the right where the secondary stories are, the news of the quake is behind saddam and NASDAQ&#33;&#33;&#33; It makes me want to puke.

Do these people not count&#33;???

The responsibility for the Iran earthquake that has decimated Bam does not accrue to any country (at least, I don&#39;t think so-you may have another opinion) or other earthly entity, so to equate this tragedy to 9/11 is fallacious and facetious on your part, as there was a responsible party in that instance.

I guess what I&#39;m trying to point out is that your attempt to draw a parallel between the two tragedies, while inappropriate in the extreme, is also indicative of your bias, said bias being the only possible reason for your bringing this absurd comparison.

By the way, I was watching FOXNEWS when the story broke; they were all over it, leading with it as details emerged.

One could almost say FOXNEWS&#39; coverage reeked of a certain humane empathy most here would not believe possible.

I pray for the people of Bam. :( [/b][/quote]
cnn is crap, and fox is run by murdoch.. what more do you want, they are both bad.

j2k4
01-03-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by mogadishu+2 January 2004 - 18:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mogadishu &#064; 2 January 2004 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by j2k4@30 December 2003 - 01:22
<!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@29 December 2003 - 21:12

CNN.com&#39;s big story is tom ridge talking about homeland security. On the right where the secondary stories are, the news of the quake is behind saddam and NASDAQ&#33;&#33;&#33; It makes me want to puke.

The responsibility for the Iran earthquake that has decimated Bam does not accrue to any country (at least, I don&#39;t think so-you may have another opinion) or other earthly entity, so to equate this tragedy to 9/11 is fallacious and facetious on your part, as there was a responsible party in that instance.

I guess what I&#39;m trying to point out is that your attempt to draw a parallel between the two tragedies, while inappropriate in the extreme, is also indicative of your bias, said bias being the only possible reason for your bringing this absurd comparison.

One could almost say FOXNEWS&#39; coverage reeked of a certain humane empathy most here would not believe possible.

cnn is crap... [/b][/quote]
One could not denigrate your cogniton on this point, at least. ;)

Arm
01-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu@30 December 2003 - 01:12

It&#39;s a way to make Americans stupid and asrrogent if they don&#39;t know shit about the rest of the world. Remember Fox News, CNN and the like aint real news but just entertainment. You want more real news watch the BBC or something.

mogadishu
01-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by j2k4+3 January 2004 - 00:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 3 January 2004 - 00:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by mogadishu@2 January 2004 - 18:44

cnn is crap...
One could not denigrate your cogniton on this point, at least. ;) [/b][/quote]
you failed to adress my whole statement... we agree cnn is bad. but you think fox is reliable?

j2k4
01-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu+3 January 2004 - 13:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mogadishu &#064; 3 January 2004 - 13:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by j2k4@3 January 2004 - 00:58

Originally posted by mogadishu@2 January 2004 - 18:44

cnn is crap...
One could not denigrate your cogniton on this point, at least. ;)
you failed to adress my whole statement... we agree cnn is bad. but you think fox is reliable?[/b][/quote]
I am aware I won&#39;t convince you Fox should be your news source-suffice it to say it is better (MUCH better) than CNN, whether Rupert owns it or not.

I am aware most who don&#39;t like FOXNEWS haven&#39;t watched enough of it to know anyway.

It is enough for me we agree CNN sucks frog-dick. ;)

clocker
01-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Biggles@31 December 2003 - 05:33
This is a tragic incident and it is heartening to see that people are setting aside politics in order to bring what little help there can be after an event like this.

The Iranian government is apparently willing to let politics trump humanitarian concerns even in a situation like this.
They have refused American aid and Israeli aid also, I believe.

j2k4
01-04-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by clocker+3 January 2004 - 20:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 3 January 2004 - 20:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@31 December 2003 - 05:33

The Iranian government is apparently willing to let politics trump humanitarian concerns even in a situation like this.
They have refused American aid and Israeli aid also, I believe. [/b][/quote]
Isn&#39;t that amazing?

What they won&#39;t do in order that they may continue bitching about the U.S.?

Drowning people being picky about the brand name on the life-jacket. <_<

Biggles
01-04-2004, 05:49 AM
According to a news report I saw, a US field hospital is up and running in Bam and is much appreciated by both the the people it is serving and the Iranian officials. The minor fracas was over other issues associated with aid at a political level which the Iranians are refusing to participate in. This is not particularly surprising

I don&#39;t know about the Israeli offer of aid but I would be surprised if the Iranians accepted such an offer (if it has been tabled). It is hard to think of two countries more diametrically opposed to each other.

Despite these hiccups a great many Western countries did provide assitance to Iran and it was accepted graciously. It must be remembered that countries like Italy, Turkey and Greece have a lot of experience in dealing with this kind of thing and are very well placed to provide a lot of aid quickly and effectively to a country as close as Iran.

Ulitmately though, there is little one can do in the aftermath of such an event other than assist in providing shelter for the homeless. In a matter of a couple of minutes tens of thousands died. No amount of support can change that fact.

j2k4
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Biggles@4 January 2004 - 01:49
According to a news report I saw, a US field hospital is up and running in Bam and is much appreciated by both the the people it is serving and the Iranian officials. The minor fracas was over other issues associated with aid at a political level which the Iranians are refusing to participate in. This is not particularly surprising

I don&#39;t know about the Israeli offer of aid but I would be surprised if the Iranians accepted such an offer (if it has been tabled). It is hard to think of two countries more diametrically opposed to each other.

Despite these hiccups a great many Western countries did provide assitance to Iran and it was accepted graciously. It must be remembered that countries like Italy, Turkey and Greece have a lot of experience in dealing with this kind of thing and are very well placed to provide a lot of aid quickly and effectively to a country as close as Iran.

Ulitmately though, there is little one can do in the aftermath of such an event other than assist in providing shelter for the homeless. In a matter of a couple of minutes tens of thousands died. No amount of support can change that fact.
It is amazing that, under the circumstances, the bureaucrats still feel compelled to call "time out" in order to play politics. :(