PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think The Pledge Is Violating The 1st

Monkeee
01-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Do You think its violating the 1st Amendment cause it has the words "Under God".
And it is also violating the separation of church and state. What Do you Think i Need your opinions for my essay :D

BTW: i need opinions if your going Against taking out the words "under God" or favoring it.

Pitbul
01-07-2004, 09:41 AM
its a Pledge for America, you see all these people from other countries crying about Tradition yet they get mad cause America has a tradition of their own, im not even Western European but i believe in god and im living in America i think the least i could do is say a pledge on which this country was built on. its okt to keep traditions from your own country but your coming to another country you had to adampt to that country as well they are letting you into their country, i mean they do teach spanish at school because know other languages is good i myself am hispanic and am partcially bi-lingual do not throw away all of your life style but also except how it is here. sure if you dont believe in god dont say that part of dont say it at all but dont try and take away tradition and replace it with yours. now saying prays in school is violating that and preaching in school is as well these are 2 things i will not condone in goverment establishments but the pledge is in my opinion far from that. truthfully if you do not live in America you have no right discussing the topic simply because you will not quite grasp the concept, its like afro-americans and the N word you can never truly talk about the matter unless you are afro-american.

3RA1N1AC
01-07-2004, 10:09 AM
it's worth noting, monkeee, that for approximately 60 years (between 1892 and 1954) the pledge of allegiance was considered to be just fine without the words "under god." perhaps 1954's knights of columbus were just filled with greater piety and better intentions than the baptist minister who authored the original godless version in 1892.

as for "tradition," Pitbul, the revised pledge of allegiance is now only about 50 years old, and the KOCs weren't too concerned with tradition when they decided that the pledge needed to be rewritten. :lol:

MagicNakor
01-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Actually it was to differentiate yourselves from the Godless Commies. ;)

:ninja:

3RA1N1AC
01-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@7 January 2004 - 02:21
Actually it was to differentiate yourselves from the Godless Commies. ;)

one would've thought that the pastel-colored suburban tract homes and cars with convertible tops would be enough.

MagicNakor
01-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Maybe...but it's a well-known fact that Godless Commie Spies can't say the words "under God," and instead howl like a banshee and leap out the nearest window.

The pastel tract houses, while producing a similiar effect, don't procure the requisite banshee howl that proves their allegiance.