PDA

View Full Version : Overtime In The Usa

vidcc
01-08-2004, 03:32 AM
U.S. Department of Labour has issued aguide that tells employers how to avoid paying workers overtime. ..source CCN

do you think this is what a government should be doing to the people that actually voted them in or do you think the government should be looking after the companies that paid for the campaign?

james_bond_rulez
01-08-2004, 03:46 AM
avoid overtime pay?

sounds like a scam to me

i'd like to get paid if i put more hours into my work

mustangchang
01-08-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by vidcc@7 January 2004 - 22:32
U.S. Department of Labour has issued aguide that tells employers how to avoid paying workers overtime. ..source CCN

do you think this is what a government should be doing to the people that actually voted them in or do you think the government should be looking after the companies that paid for the campaign?
rrrrrrrriiighhht..................... a link to this story would be nice, otherwise this post means nothing without proof to back it up.

MagicNakor
01-08-2004, 04:16 AM
It's not surprising. Large companies already do that here - hiring two part-time people instead of one full-timer. All those pesky benefits get in the way.

:ninja:

hobbes
01-08-2004, 04:26 AM
In my line of work, people who are paid by the hour have no incentive to work efficiently. At the end of the day, when work is not completed, they just ask for 2X pay for overtime and continue to work even slower.

It can be a scam either way.

vidcc
01-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by mustangchang+8 January 2004 - 04:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mustangchang @ 8 January 2004 - 04:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@7 January 2004 - 22:32
U.S. Department of Labour&nbsp; has issued aguide that tells employers how to avoid paying workers overtime. ..source CCN

rrrrrrrriiighhht..................... a link to this story would be nice, otherwise this post means nothing without proof to back it up. [/b][/quote]
link to story (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/elec04.dems.overtime/index.html)
sorry this was the best i can find as i saw the story on the TV not the internet...but it gives the gist

vidcc
01-08-2004, 04:31 AM
what line of work are you in Hobbes if it&#39;s not too personal a question...i want in :lol: :lol: :lol: .
isn&#39;t that down to bad man management though

hobbes
01-08-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by vidcc@8 January 2004 - 05:31
what line of work are you in Hobbes if it&#39;s not too personal a question...i want in&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol: .
isn&#39;t that down to bad man management though
These people are government employees and cannot be fired and I am in no position to change their salary. Even if I could, they would do the same slow pathetic job they are now doing, just collecting more basic pay and overtime pay.

Unless we are given the power to beat them, I see no relief in sight.

mustangchang
01-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by vidcc+7 January 2004 - 23:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 7 January 2004 - 23:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by mustangchang@8 January 2004 - 04:08
<!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@7 January 2004 - 22:32

rrrrrrrriiighhht..................... a link to this story would be nice, otherwise this post means nothing without proof to back it up.
link to story (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/elec04.dems.overtime/index.html)
sorry this was the best i can find as i saw the story on the TV not the internet...but it gives the gist [/b][/quote]
hmmmm, ok thanks :blink:

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by vidcc@8 January 2004 - 03:32
U.S. Department of Labour&nbsp; has issued aguide that tells employers how to avoid paying workers overtime. ..source CCN

In America corporations are owned by citizens "share holders" instead of being nationalized. When corporations have lower expenses "payroll" it makes larger profits that are paid in the form of dividends and increased market value of shares to share holders "Citizens".
So yes I want the government to do that.

clocker
01-08-2004, 04:00 PM
After a long ( and checkered) employment history, I&#39;ve come to realize that most folks actually take a modicum of pride in their work and would like to do a good job.

As soon as a company is perceived as trying to take advantage of them however, attention shifts from performing the work to trying to circumvent the slights. All the creativity and energy, formerly applied to production, gets shifted to an attempt to regain what was previously the status quo.
From the company&#39;s standpoint, a short term gain ultimately becomes a long term drop in productivity.
Not a good thing.

vidcc
01-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>+8 January 2004 - 07:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (<TROUBLE^MAKER> @ 8 January 2004 - 07:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@8 January 2004 - 03:32

In America corporations are owned by citizens "share holders" instead of being nationalized. When corporations have lower expenses "payroll" it makes larger profits that are paid in the form of dividends and increased market value of shares to share holders "Citizens".
So yes I want the government to do that. [/b][/quote]
i appreciate that a few things are in state hands..mostly vital utilities..in some countries...but what corporations are nationalised elsewhwere ?, you seem ( it seems not saying you are) to suggest that the USA is the only place where companies are PLCs.

so one has to be a shareholder to be treated fairly in the country where i live? (i am self employed by the way)
i agree the usa is a capitalist society and therefore man must exploit man for it to work...so out of interest and off topic do you also think it&#39;s fair to make millions of Americans unemployed by shifting the work to India?..nice bonus for the shareholders

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-08-2004, 07:27 PM
To become wealthy in the US you pretty much have to do it from investing in corporations and other tangible and intangible assets. Not many people acquire it through a salary unless it&#39;s in the form of stock options earned in place of a hard currency salary.
The share holder in most cases votes and elects the board of directors and if the board didn&#39;t pursue all options to increase earnings they don&#39;t get reelected and in many cases they move manufacturing segments of the company to 3rd world countries for cheap labor.

3rd gen noob
01-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@8 January 2004 - 18:27
To become wealthy in the US you pretty much have to do it from investing in corporations and other tangible and intangible assets.
it seems to me that there&#39;s an endless line of talentless people becoming millionaires in america... ;)

james_bond_rulez
01-08-2004, 07:41 PM
the safest way for me to become "rich" is to become a professional, like a doctor

;)

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@8 January 2004 - 19:41
the safest way for me to become "rich" is to become a professional, like a doctor

;)
Most doctors or other professionals have there own practice witch is incorporated, basically they own there own corporation. Along with being a member of a larger institution for the purpose of financing expensive research.

hobbes
01-11-2004, 05:12 AM
:o