PDA

View Full Version : Do All New Version Of K-lite Need Sherman's Kmd?

jackc
01-10-2004, 05:16 PM
OK, I admit it: There are various version of K-Lite out there since the demise(?) of KL K++ 2.4.3, and I have become totally confused. There has been a posting saying that so far CleanKMD 2.4.4 is the closest to K-Lite 2.4.3, and I have installed it. Indeed, it looks and feels like K-Lite 2.4.3.

I would like to give a try to the other versions also, though. The problem is that if I have understood correctly, they are NOT stand-alone apps like KLK++ and CleanKMD are: It seems that you have to install Sherman's Kazaa and then patch it somehow. Is this true? :huh: In case it is, I am rather demotivated in running them, as in general I always prefer "clean" installs than patching existing apps.

Thx for enlightening me, :)

jackc

P.S. I have noticed in some posts in Dev's Corner people flaming against each other. This is a real pity: I think the idea here is for people to pull ahead together towards a common goal, not fighting with each other and sabotaging each other's efforts. I am a total newb as far as software development is concerned, and I cannot judge which version is superior or inferior. What I CAN judge though, is that there are some people out there doing an effort of advancing a piece of software (without getting a cent for their work), and this should be respected by all of us. Moreover, it would be really nice if you devs managed to work around a single version of K-Lite, thus ending all this confusion once and for all!

Entity101
01-10-2004, 05:24 PM
If you install KMD Lite then all you have to do is place two files in the installation directory manually. Links to get both files are also in that topic.

Lite
01-10-2004, 05:30 PM
and the K-lite v2.6 offers users to ways to get the files :o :D

* You can use the above method as descibed by Error403
* you can use our "Clean Install KMD" method (this method is 100% legal, the other is illegal)

Entity101
01-10-2004, 07:05 PM
I don't think the first method is illegal either for the end user. As far as I know downloading kazaa.exe isn't illegal. I am not sure about using it. But you can always say that you installed/uninstalled Kazaa to get it.

jackc
01-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Well, to tell you the truth I am not so much concerned by the issue of legality for two reasons: 1. I do not live in the US (I am an EU citizen), and 2. The whole P2P activity has already the element of illegality embedded in its nature (I would be a liar if I said that I do not d/l copyright stuff! B) ), so the legality of the P2P app seems to me unimportant...

Since it is not an issue of legality, it is just an issue of practicality and functionality: The idea for me is to have a piece of software that, like KLK++ in the past, conforms to these principles:

1. Connects to the FT network (something that happens with all KL versions I suppose! :D )
2. Has all the goodies (auto search more, accelerator, AVI preview, etc.) that KLK++ had and KMD hasn't (it seems that this happpens with all of them also), and
3. Be a stand-alone fully functional app (here is the catch, probably)

The idea of point 3 is that this K-Lite should be free from any ad-ware, spy-ware, and all the other shit-ware that KMD has. I am worried that a modified KMD cannot be guaranteed for that, as Sherman can add anything it likes without anyone taking immediately notice. Moreover, as I implied in my previous posting, a "patched" software (if this is the case here-I haven't fully understood yet) entails for me some stability/functionality dangers.

Any feedback on these thoughts will be appreciated, ppl. As I said, my expertise is not software development, so I am just trying to make judgements thru common sense.

Entity101
01-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Putting the two files in a directory after installing will only take a couple of seconds.

Lite
01-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Error403@10 January 2004 - 19:05
I don't think the first method is illegal either for the end user. As far as I know downloading kazaa.exe isn't illegal. I am not sure about using it. But you can always say that you installed/uninstalled Kazaa to get it.
This is why i removed the part of "download KMD"

From the KMD TOS:

3.1 This Licence allows you to install and use the Kazaa Media Desktop on a single computer. This Licence does not permit you to install the Software on more than one computer at a time. You may make copies of the Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only. The backup copy must include all copyright information contained on the original.

so i think that methos is illegal, still not 100% sure though

Edit: And this bit

3.3 You may not sell, transfer or communicate the Software to any third party without our prior express written consent.

Entity101
01-10-2004, 10:27 PM
They can write whatever they want in their TOS, but that doesn't mean there is a law that supports it. Most terms in it are total bullshit. In some countries NOTHING that is written in a TOS in a installer is valid.

Distributing the full installer is legal. It must be because everyone who installs it automatically shares it.

Lite
01-10-2004, 11:42 PM
we really need someone that is good with the law to help us, decide exactly what is and what isnt legal