PDA

View Full Version : Us Plan Possible Moonbase

vidcc
01-10-2004, 05:43 PM
moonbase story (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=13801215_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-U%2DS%2D%2DCOLONY%2DON%2DMOON%2D%2D%2D%2DTHEN%2DMAN%2DON%2DMARS-name_page.html)

ok i got this while reading newspaper websites from around the world...i like a balanced view....
the subject of this topic is....
do you feel this is a very important and worthwile thing to do (knowlege gained advances in science etc.) or do you feel the money could be put to better use at home (for example a free healthcare system or at least free prescriptions or better housing nationwide)
this is mostly for Americans but i'm sure there will be some wonderful comments from elsewhere

mooseman2070
01-10-2004, 06:08 PM
ok this is probably another one of my controversial posts (well second i guess) but...

bush, in case you havent noticed, WE LANDED ON THE MOON OVER FORTY YEARS AGO!!!!!!! WHATS TO SEE?! AND ITS NOT MADE OUT OF CHEESE, OK?! WE FOUND THAT OUT WHEN AMERICA WENT THERE IN THE 60'S!!! ITS THE FUCKING MOON MAN! THERES NO ALIENS!!!

jeez, what a fucking dumbass the president of the united states is. how can you ppl like an APPOINTED, not elected president, we didnt even elect him for god's sake. and where are we getting the money for this? we went nearly bankrupt for that pointless war in iraq

note: all of that which was said is solely my opinion yadda yadda yadda

vidcc
01-10-2004, 06:11 PM
actually the moonbase is supposed to be a staging post and training ground for a manned mission to mars...(the story in the link)..perhaps i should have pointed it out in the original post instead of linking to it

leftism
01-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by vidcc
actually the moonbase is supposed to be a staging post and training ground for a manned mission to mars

I saw an interview with a scientist on BBC2 and he said that it requires the same amount of energy to get to Mars regardless of whether you start from the Moon or Earth, it just takes a little longer.

He also reckoned that theres not much worth looking at on the moon and that a Martian Base makes more sense because it has an atmosphere and water (although it is frozen) and thus it might have simple lifeforms such as amoeba.

In comparison the moon is just a rock with no atmosphere.

I reckon a National Health System would be a better investment but I guess it depends on your priorities.

mooseman2070
01-10-2004, 06:20 PM
yeah, guess i shouldve read the article before i replied :-"

Samurai
01-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Oh My God. How old is this news? I read this like a week ago!

My personal opinion is that I hope this finally takes off. I actually want to see us flying spaceships in my lifetime. Need peace in the Middle East though for that to happen, so I guess we've got another 2000 years give or take :rolleyes:

Busyman
01-10-2004, 06:34 PM
1. This should have been done a long time ago. Hell put a missile system there too. :lol:

2. ...but America needs to get America halfway straight first.

3. The purpose is not to just study the moon but I guess to be closer to everything else in space. I think the "idea" is sound.

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-10-2004, 06:47 PM
They are going to have to get that Saturn rocket in the Smithsonian ready to go until they can build some run ways on the moon for the shuttle. I always knew the moon would make an excellent weapons platform once the hubble telescope wore out. B)

thewizeard
01-10-2004, 09:47 PM
It is just an election ploy...

mustangchang
01-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by nigel123@10 January 2004 - 16:47
yes and Satin invented the popsicle.....................

I think its a great idea the American people have almost completely lost interest in our space program, so this should energize the public about what NASA is doing now days.

This is going help us in our long term goal which is possibly sending human life to Mars. :)

thewizeard
01-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by mustangchang+10 January 2004 - 22:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mustangchang @ 10 January 2004 - 22:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nigel123@10 January 2004 - 16:47
yes and Satin invented the popsicle.....................

I think its a great idea the American people have almost completely lost interest in our space program, so this should energize the public about what NASA is doing now days.

This is going help us in our long term goal which is possibly sending human life to Mars. :) [/b][/quote]
The US should better spend their money in paying back their debts...

@ Satin is a very fine fabric

hobbes
01-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Should the US be allowed to build on the moon without clearance from the UN. What if we blow it up by accident?

Busyman
01-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Is there national law governing the moon or any OTHER planet?
I don&#39;t think so.

thewizeard
01-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@10 January 2004 - 22:40
Should the US be allowed to build on the moon without clearance from the UN. What if we blow it up by accident?
:o Hobbes you really are funny :lol:

hobbes
01-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Since the destruction of the moon would have global effects on our planet, maybe we should.

Or should we allow anyone with the capability to do what they please with it. A country might travel to the moon and hold the Earth hostage by threatening to blow it up.

MagicNakor
01-10-2004, 10:52 PM
What about the people that bought property on the moon? Shouldn&#39;t they get a say on where the moonbase is built? :rolleyes:

:ninja:

Busyman
01-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@10 January 2004 - 23:47
Since the destruction of the moon would have global effects on our planet, maybe we should.

Or should we allow anyone with the capability to do what they please with it. A country might travel to the moon and hold the Earth hostage by threatening to blow it up.
Hmmm...actually a valid point while far-fetched.
The moon affects the tides and many other atmospheric conditions of the Earth.
Any country with nuclear capability has the same power of destroying the Earth (to an extent).

Samurai
01-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@10 January 2004 - 21:52
What about the people that bought property on the moon? Shouldn&#39;t they get a say on where the moonbase is built? :rolleyes:

:ninja:
Was thinking the exact same thing&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Would be good if the US built this base on their land. Would cost so much to remove it, they&#39;d rather pay rent to the land owner for many years&#33;&#33; hehe :D

vidcc
01-10-2004, 10:59 PM
i wonder if bob vila will be making a program about it in a few years...this old moonbase

hobbes
01-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Back on topic:

The article states:

Experts believe a Moon mission could be attempted without a big increase in Nasa&#39;s budget by spreading the cost over 10 years.

I can see how this is meant to ease minds over funneling of funds from other, more immediate problems, but I see a huge potential for abuse.

"Oh we&#39;ve come so far, but "x" is costing more than anticipated, we need to build "y" as well. If we stop now the whole project would have been for naught.

I see it as a simple political bauble to dangle before our glossed over eyes, and keep us from thinking about what the hell we are going to do about health coverage.

I think it sounds "cool", but I am "cool" on the plan.

<TROUBLE^MAKER>
01-11-2004, 12:05 AM
They probably found some moon footage never shown to the public before :lol: Seriously if China lands men on moon there going to claim as there property so some WASP&#39;s have to get there first. :music1:

leftism
01-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Some &#39;expert&#39;
Experts believe a Moon mission could be attempted without a big increase in Nasa&#39;s budget by spreading the cost over 10 years.

This reminds me of the Conservative Gvt in the UK, they always say they can cut taxes AND raise spending on the NHS???

I dont understand how these &#39;experts&#39; can do 100x the work with only a small increase in funds. If they are going to do it by spreading it over 10 years then surely they&#39;re going to have to drop every other mission they had planned for the next decade? Then again Im not an &#39;expert&#39; ;)

I genuinely dont think this will happen though. Didnt GW senior propose the exact same plans when he was in office? afaik they were dropped rather quickly due to the staggering costs involved.

I think this is just a strategy to excite the electorate and get re-elected but hey, I&#39;m a cynical old crocodile :)

Now.. imagine if all that cash was spent on free health care for everyone or at least the most vulnerable in society. Thats my idea of progress :)

J'Pol
01-11-2004, 12:08 AM
I decline to make comment on any space mission. Given Our recent record.

The Beagle has landed, we just don&#39;t know where. I personally feel it is simply refusing to play any Blur music.

hobbes
01-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by leftism@11 January 2004 - 01:06
but hey, I&#39;m a cynical old crocodile :)

Oh fantastic&#33; Hey mate, I&#39;m really Steve Irwin and I have been looking for a reliable babysitter for me kids. Interested?

vidcc
01-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@11 January 2004 - 00:08

The Beagle has landed, we just don&#39;t know where. I personally feel it is simply refusing to play any Blur music.
i think it was impounded and crushed for having no road tax

leftism
01-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by hobbes
Oh fantastic&#33; Hey mate, I&#39;m really Steve Irwin and I have been looking for a reliable babysitter for me kids. Interested?

Nah, I&#39;m a little too long in the tooth for that kind of caper :D

Samurai
01-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by vidcc+10 January 2004 - 23:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vidcc @ 10 January 2004 - 23:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@11 January 2004 - 00:08

i think it was impounded and crushed for having no road tax [/b][/quote]
LOL

Nah, the space agency refused to pay the £5 Congestion Charge and they&#39;ve towed the fucker, trust :lol:

hobbes
01-11-2004, 04:54 AM
How can you build on such an unstable surface?

http://www.outlawslegal.com/evil/mooning.jpg

Samurai
01-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Well Earth isn&#39;t exactly flat now is it? What about houses that are built on hills? they just need to build a foundation and go from there... How they&#39;ll do that is anyone&#39;s guess.

hobbes
01-11-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Samurai@11 January 2004 - 05:58
Well Earth isn&#39;t exactly flat now is it? What about houses that are built on hills? they just need to build a foundation and go from there... How they&#39;ll do that is anyone&#39;s guess.
They may have to "drill" deep into those furrows to achiev stability.