PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Programs

Finch
01-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Lately since i re-installed windows, i've been having problems with running programes i've downloaded from the net. Windows media player 9 and Google's toolbard both produced the same problem. The error message shown is 'program name'.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Can anyone help me? Thanks

chinook_apache
01-11-2004, 05:01 PM
what OS have you installed recently?

if it is win xp pro downloaded off k-lite it could be corrupt....leading to the problem you have now.

please give some more info :)

100%
01-11-2004, 05:11 PM
It could be this - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=284198

or else search google for :program name.exe error or something like that

By the way it-when you reinstalled did you format the harddrive-if not then maybe some progs where left inside- and windows still thinks they are there-but they have been written over or partly deleted-hence the error.?

Finch
01-11-2004, 05:11 PM
It's a win xp home edition, which came with the pc.
Everything you used to be fine, but now i can't run/open any .exe file of the net.

Finch
01-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Zedaxax - You're right, i just installed the yahoo toolbar and it works fine. So what should i do about the progs that were left in the hard drive since i cannot find them?

SingaBoiy
01-14-2004, 04:47 AM
If that is the problem, i would format hdd and re-install xp. Only about an hour's wait. :P

Mercy
01-15-2004, 03:26 AM
try to check out the start up applications and cancel any suspecious thing
i dont know about XP home but i dont think it would diff much
Start >> Run >> msconfig >> start up

Edit: spelling

kaiweiler
01-15-2004, 03:50 AM
You better pray to god it's not this (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.pinfi.html)!! this is a horrible virus, and very hard to fix, if you can at all. it just wrecks every .exe file on your comp, from the sounds of it, this is what you have.
i was infected with this before, had to do a clean c: format and reinstall my Os, it was hell
do a full system virus scan and see what you get
Kai