PDA

View Full Version : Higher Rank On Search Engines

downloader2008
01-19-2004, 05:31 PM
How do I get my website to be on one of the top rankings on a search engine? My site used to be like #6 on Google and ever since my site was down for a day and was removed from Google, once they put it back, it was like on the 10th listing page! Is there anyway to get my site back on the top?

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by downloader2008@19 January 2004 - 17:31
How do I get my website to be on one of the top rankings on a search engine? My site used to be like #6 on Google and ever since my site was down for a day and was removed from Google, once they put it back, it was like on the 10th listing page! Is there anyway to get my site back on the top?
there are rumors that google indexes a site by how much other sites link to that

the more links to your site,the more place i think :01:

TRshady
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Im writing a guide on this .... will let you know when its done. Heres some pointers though:

* Exchange links with site already listed!
* Have content rich pages and include your intentional keywords
* Update your site often and use keywords in title and header tags
* Do not use any form of frames or other navigational evils :P

Though step one really is the way which works best

CoolMac
01-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@19 January 2004 - 17:59
Im writing a guide on this .... will let you know when its done. Heres some pointers though:

* Have content rich pages and include your intentional keywords
* Update your site often and use keywords in title and header tags
* Do not use any form of frames or other navigational evils :P

Though step one really is the way which works best
last 1 should helpin some search engines rather than google

downloader2008
01-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@19 January 2004 - 12:59

I'll try and do that. ;)

TRshady
01-19-2004, 07:37 PM
I'll be happy to exchange links with ya :)
I got into google after three days with simply exchanging links with another site listed, better then waiting over 6 weeks dont ya think?, lol.

Will also improve your posistion as more sites linking to you, increase your pr :)

Ynhockey
01-19-2004, 08:03 PM
The real catch with Google is that it doesn't only rank you according to the quantity of the listed sites that link to you, but also by the quality (i.e. how highly they're ranked on Google).

So, getting a link from a site like dmoz.org or yahoo.com (the directories) will significantly boost your ranks. Other sites help too, the best thing to do is create affiliate networks where everyone links to eachother, that will also help your ranks a lot.

Every suggestion TRShady listed is correct as well, but as he said, doesn't help you as much on Google as links from other sites do.

This also means that the day your site was down was probably the day that a member of some directory which had it listed decided to check it and so he removed it from the directory. There could really be no other reason because if nothing big changed (and just 1 day passed like you say) then you should be ranked on Google in the same place (approximately) as you were before.

I.am
01-19-2004, 10:38 PM
how google indexing works has always been a mystery. People make their best guesses and it seems to work once in a while.
Here is one other suggestion apart from the one's already mentioned:
When you link your pages dont link it as "mypage.html" but instead write the whole url like "http://www.mysite.com/mypage.html"

There is a rumour that you might get a higher ranking if your site is approached by external links. This is one of the tricks ;)

h1
01-20-2004, 05:22 AM
You can exploit PageRank, but I am not telling you how.

Ynhockey
01-20-2004, 03:53 PM
[quoteWhen you link your pages dont link it as "mypage.html" but instead write the whole url like "http://www.mysite.com/mypage.html"[/quote]

While it's possible that this does increase your page ranking, i think it's a terrible think to do... it will totally screw up your entire site should you move to a new URL (or even move to a different directory/username on the same server).

You might as well use CSS's display:none; property to hide a bunch of keywords instead. But this is usually penazied by Altavista and such (not Google AFAIK though).

I.am
01-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Ynhockey@20 January 2004 - 08:53
[quoteWhen you link your pages dont link it as "mypage.html" but instead write the whole url like "http://www.mysite.com/mypage.html"

While it's possible that this does increase your page ranking, i think it's a terrible think to do... it will totally screw up your entire site should you move to a new URL (or even move to a different directory/username on the same server).

You might as well use CSS's display:none; property to hide a bunch of keywords instead. But this is usually penazied by Altavista and such (not Google AFAIK though). [/quote]
Yup as a site design it's terrible. No one does it nor should a popular site even try. Its for people with personal homepages. Its something that has been noticed about google's indexing, and sort of a tricky way out for people with too small sites or personal homepages.

downloader2008
01-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Ynhockey@20 January 2004 - 10:53
[quoteWhen you link your pages dont link it as "mypage.html" but instead write the whole url like "http://www.mysite.com/mypage.html"

You might as well use CSS's display:none; property to hide a bunch of keywords instead. But this is usually penazied by Altavista and such (not Google AFAIK though). [/quote]
Yeah, I will probably be moving servers a lot as my site continues to grow. Not only that, I don't feel like changing 100s of links. :P

@TRShady, it would be great to exchange links with you. One problem: I don't have a button.... (thought of the moment: anyone know any good programs for making these ;) ?) lol

TRshady
01-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Some good things mentioed here, nice one. :)
@downloader: I could easily place your text link down, will be up when me get back this evening.

Ynhockey
01-21-2004, 08:14 PM
TRShady, wanna exchange links with me ?

My site's http://www.ynhockey.net

Button at: http://www.ynhockey.net/button.jpg

Text description(s) in this topic.

TRshady
01-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Would love to mate, Text link now added ...

Ynhockey
01-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Btw, sry i got confused, the text descriptions are in SH's topic about sites.

I'll add your link too ASAP. Please give me a description though, unless you want me to write my own.

TRshady
01-21-2004, 11:14 PM
"A computing site dedicated to helping people on all aspects of software and hardware. Contains reviews, articles, guides and a computing related forum. Web development section soon to come"

Edit it however you want, just pasted from sites meta description. :P

downloader2008
01-21-2004, 11:22 PM
TRShady, I PMed you about Link Exchanging. Did you get it?

Ynhockey
01-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Lol TRShady, you spelled my name wrong :P it's Ynhockey. Plz add my description too :)

Anyway, i've added your link.

instinctis
10-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes this is partialy true, the total amount of backlinks are reflected into a PageRank and also overall guest, also when more backlinks are involved google considers the site more important (a little higher pagerank) and will send the spiders more often, therefore it will be indexed better than the ones with less backlinks.
One could check the backlinks and pagerank and many other seo factors by:
http://domof.com/filesharingtalk.com.html