PDA

View Full Version : Best Ram Performance

lynx
01-19-2004, 10:04 PM
For some time, I have been running my system with memory settings at what the bios setup calls "High Performance Settings".

The memory timings are supposed to be 2.5-3-3-7 according to the SPD configuration, but high performance settings tightened these to 2-2-2-5. However, occasionally (and particularly since I have been running Folding) I have had freeze ups and more recently even BSOD stop 0x0000000A errors.

I have gone back to the standard SPD settings, and the system now appears to be completely stable. But what is more surprising is that it also appears to be faster. Certainly, the Folding is progressing faster than before. And the cpu temp has risen by about 2C.

The only assumption I can arrive at is that there must have been some sort of synchronisation slippage. I remember seeing something about this once, apparently if the memory is not ready then the transfer is terminated prematurely and has to be re-initialised, which all takes time. And now that it is operating smoothly it allows the processor to do that little bit more work, with the consequent rise in temps.

Has anyone else seen similar behaviour?

Edit:typo

bigdawgfoxx
01-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Well my mushkin runs at 400Mhz at 2-2-2-5 fine...I guess your memory just cant handle such tight timings and thats why it messes up..and your theory about how it would make it slower also makes since..to me at least.

B_U_B_B_A
01-20-2004, 12:47 AM
maybe the ram needs some more volts...try 2.7v or 2.8v and c what happens