PDA

View Full Version : Connection Speed

zedd
01-20-2004, 02:16 PM
can someone tell me please, i am on a 600k b/band connection from ntl, and when i download a file which is about 700mb , it can take between 8-10 hours, is this correct. will my download speed be the same from bit torrent even if i have a slow computer, i mean how does all this work. or if have a fast pc does that mean my download speeds will be higher. i average about 20-25 kb/s download speed, sometimes lower sometimes higher. i dont know if i have made much sense but i hope you can work something out from this. thank you

4th gen
01-20-2004, 02:32 PM
with a 600kb/sec connection (600 kilobits per second), you should get a maximum download speed of around about 75kB/sec (75 kilobits per second).

note that you will very rarely (if ever) actually get 70+ kB/sec and should be happy with about 65 or so kB/sec...

if you do get 65kB/sec, then you should be able to download a 700MB film in about 3 hours or so...

the specification of your computer shouldn't matter too much when you're talking about download speeds...as long as the computer is reasonably powerful you shouldn't have any problems in this area...

zedd
01-20-2004, 02:42 PM
right at this very moment i am downloading a movie from BT, it is connected to 70 peers and 12 seeds and i am only getting a download rate between 15-25 kb/s, why is this? concerning my download speed should be 65-75 kb/s, that has only happened to me once when i phoned ntl to tell them i think i have a problem with speeds! is there anything i can do about this, i mean any system checks etc. when you say computer should be reasonably powerful- please clarify on basic specifications to fall into that category. thanks

4th gen
01-20-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by zedd@20 January 2004 - 13:42
right at this very moment i am downloading a movie from BT, it is connected to 70 peers and 12 seeds and i am only getting a download rate between 15-25 kb/s, why is this? concerning my download speed should be 65-75 kb/s, that has only happened to me once when i phoned ntl to tell them i think i have a problem with speeds! is there anything i can do about this, i mean any system checks etc. when you say computer should be reasonably powerful- please clarify on basic specifications to fall into that category. thanks
if you want to check your connection speed, go to the adslguide speedtest (http://adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp)

close down any apps that might be taking bandwidth before you take the test (like bitt, kazaa etc)

as for the specs, anything above a Pentium 2 400MHz with 128MB ram should be more than enough for downloading purposes...

j4y3m
01-20-2004, 08:09 PM
BitTorrent Is Like That...

99shassan
01-23-2004, 10:56 AM
I have a 492kbps wit a pentium 2 127mb ram and 256mhz. What can be the optimal speed of downloadin and uploading? Like on kazaa and on bittorrent?

Spicker
01-24-2004, 03:17 AM
www.speedguide.net ;)