PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Guide To Folding@home

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spicker
01-21-2004, 11:25 PM
1. What is FAH?
FAH is a distributed computing project, the purpose of which is to learn how proteins fold and misfold. By breaking down the process by which proteins are created we can find out what causes them to miscreate or misfold. The hope is that this will lead to future research that can help scientists come up with better treatments/cures for many of todays common ailments. But the most important part of the project is putting together an effective model of how to fold and unfold proteins with supercomputer power.

This is an extremely complicated process that requires awesome amounts of computing power that was virtually unattainable prior to the start of this project. This project harnesses the power of thousands of individual PC's connected to the internet by breaking down the necessary work and allowing those individual computers to work on small pieces of information and then returning the calculated results to stanford university. Once the work is done and returned your computer will automatically get fresh data to calculate. The work is then piece back together at Stanford university. There are results and more information posted on the Folding@Home website at http://folding.stanford.edu/.

We are team 34905 and if you would like help setting up the client you only need to ask and there will be several people ready to help.

2. What is Protein Folding?

Most of you are at least vaguely aware of the Human Genome Project. That was an attempt to map out human genetic structure so geneticists could figure out just what all those chromosomes and genes do to earn their pay.

What scientists found out while doing this, though, is that knowing genetic structure is only the first piece of the puzzle.

A map of the human genetic structure is a lot like an organizational chart of a company. It certainly tells you something about a company, and who's in charge of what, but it doesn't really tell you how the company does things.

The reason for that is that genes don't really do the work. What they do is provide instructions for the kinds of workers it needs to get the various jobs done, sort of like a genetic recruitment staff.

There's two big differences between this hiring staff and a corporation's though. For this staff, the "workers" aren't people, they're proteins. And to the envy of human hiring staffs everywhere, genes can clone its workers.

So proteins are the real workers in the human body; millions of proteins doing millions of jobs, sometimes alone, sometimes in conjunctions with other worker proteins.

3. How do proteins work?

To do their work, proteins often have to get into the right position to do a certain job. Think of it like the difference between walking and swimming, you get into different positions to do either.

Part of the reason why proteins need to get into the right position is that they often act as keys to lock or unlock other proteins. The "key" has to be put into just the right position to get into the "lock."

We call all this manuevering around "protein folding." It's just a fancy way of saying, "how proteins do their job."

_JOHN_LENNON_:

1. Doing ANYTHING stresses the life of your processor, but this F@H (Folding @ Home) uses spare CPU cycles, so you dont notice it while your playing BF 1942, or while im playing Halo. But if say you leave your computer for a bit, it will notice the free processor, and pick up the slack.

2. It really doesnt hurt your computer like I said above, I konw people that have this running on no less than 20 machines and have been doing for awhile.

3. Yes, I said 20 MACHINES. People take this very seriously, as over at AMDMB.com.

4. I have been folding for over a year now for the AMDMB.com team, and I think were maybe 5th or 6th world wide. I know from our forums that we have several people like I said with the 20+ Computers running 24/7 just to fold for cancer. (yes the electric bill gets raised a few ticks) I know that also we have taken donation on 4 complete machines, and then given them to people to they can be Folding for the team in the privacy of their own homes. I think were currently taking donations for the 5th one.

5. You guys should all get into this, haha Bigdawg, being about my age I know your parents have asked you around the house at times (whats your computer doing on right now, when your not even infront of it.) Well, atleast now you could say Fighting Cancer Mom! Heh, no but serious guys, every computer can help, even if its just a few work units a month. And we all have Spare CPU Cycles to spare because none of us are maxing out our PC all day. Half the time I have my PC on im just tinkering with some and I have WMP on and Folding @ Home.

6. Now everyone go download the folding at home command Client

OC TEAM:

What are the system requirements for folding?
You will need to have the equivalent of a 200MHz Pentium to be able to process the work in time. The time limits for turning in completed work vary depending on the size and complexity of the protein that you are given to work on. NOTE: in some cases users have gotten even slower computers than this to fold and get units on time. The slowest i have seen get units in on time is a P166 mhz. If you think it is too slow to fold, give it a chance, what's that worse that can happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·  Can I be a dial up user and still use FAH?

Can I be a dial up user and still use FAH?
Certainly. A 24/7 connection is not required to fold. The client only needs a conncetion to send and recieve work units. So, as a dial up user you can either connect whenever there is a work unit to send manually, or you can configure it to dial automatically (this was covered in part 8 of setup and guides)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·  Is there support for dual processors?

Is there support for dual processors?
The answer is still no to smp support, but it is possible to run more than one instance of the client. Yes, with the console (text-only) version. The best way to do this now is to install FAH twice in two different directories, and run them with the flag "-local". If two copies of FAH run in the same directory, they will interfere with each other, and will only lead to bad things. IMPORTANT- Make sure that each client has it's own machine ID (covered it part 7 of setup and guides)

·  Will running my computer at 100% 24/7 shorten the life of my computer?

Will running my computer at 100% 24/7 shorten the life of my computer?
No. Actually processors were/are made to run a 100% load all the time. Computers generally a better left on, with very little temparature fluctuation because as the chip heats up it expands and when you switch it off it contracts, this constant expansion and contraction of the cpu over a long period of time causes it to crack, meaning dead cpu! So if your cpu is well cooled with a good hsf(heatsink and fan) and it is at a constant temp at full load it is actually healthier for the chip!! Besides, you will get more done if you are folding 24/7!!.

·  Is there anyway to speed up my folding times?

Is there anyway to speed up my folding times?
You can, of course, overclock your computer to make it run faster, but then that's why you're at overclockers.com right? Some motherboards however don't support overclocking but don't worry if you have one of these board there is a shareware program called cpufsb 2.2.6 that makes it possible for you to raise your fsb.

If you have the Text Only version you can set the idle sensitivity for the client by right clicking on the client in the task bar and going to properties. When the window comes up click on the Misc tab. Go to idle sensitivity and slide it all the way over to "Low". This will make the client a little more aggressive with idle cycles.

NOTE: It has always been the rule that raw mhz is what makes you fold faster (whether 1800 is 180x10 or 150x12.) This might soon change though; with the coming of newer and larger and more complex protein that are more dependant on your memory. This is speculation at this point.
LINKS:
Download the GUI version here (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/release/[email protected])
Original thread here (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=89648&st=15)
OC TEAM here (http://folding.octeams.com/index.php) (got some of my info from here :)

REMEMBER OUR TEAM IS 34905 :D

i will be adding an installation guide, and info on GROMACS
and ofcourse my fav "BORGING" that means spreading it around to other computers with simple programs tht run witht the services and HIDE but i highly recommend that you get PERMISSION from the person who owns the computer first... :smilie4:

{I}{K}{E}
01-21-2004, 11:31 PM
why dont you just update the first page of the old topic?

{I}{K}{E}

btw. wasnt this spammed before on all the worlds?

I move this to the lounge because I think it fits there better.

Spicker
01-21-2004, 11:39 PM
INSTALLATION GUIDE
Step One: Installing the Client
The first step is to download the Folding@Home GUI client from the Folding@Home client download page. Log in as Administrator (if necessary), and double-click on the downloaded file to start the installation. You will see a welcome screen as shown below. Click next at that screen, and then proceed to click through the license and readme screens.
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_1_intro.png
Next, you must enter the username you wish to use to be identified in the Folding@Home statistics. If this is the first system you are setting up for Folding@Home, you should check to see whether or not the username that you want to use is already used by someone else (it is ok, however, to use the same username on multiple computers that you own). Go to the Folding@Home User Rankings page and use the box next to the search button to see if the name you want is already taken. If it isn't, you're ready to proceed on to the next screen.
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_2_username.png
Now, you can choose what folder to install Folding@Home to (the default is fine), and what you want the Start menu group to be called. The next screen asks you to confirm your settings before the installation begins. Finally, after the installation is complete, uncheck "View Readme" and press "Finish."
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_6_finishinst.png

Step Two: Client Configuration
After the installation has been completed successfully, a configuration panel window will appear. You may adjust your settings in this window. If at any time you wish to change these settings in the future, you may access the dialog again from the menu obtained by right clicking on the Folding@Home system tray icon.

Your username should already be filled in properly if you entered it correctly while installing the Folding@Home client. If it is not, here is your chance to change it. For the team number, enter "34905"
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_7_cp_user.png
On the Connection tab you will find the network settings. These will probably not need to be changed, however it is a good idea for you to check them out anyway to make sure.
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_8_cp_net.png
Finally, on the Advanced tab, you will find more in-depth settings. Most of them do not need to be changed, but you should set the Client Type to Folding@Home.
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_9_cp_adv.png

Step Three: The Client in Action
After Ok-ing the Configuration dialog, the client will begin running as an icon in the system tray. You can right click on it and choose display to observe it as it sets up files and prepares to work on a unit.
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_10_systray.png
Immediately after configuration, the client will attempt to download the scientific core and begin to process a work unit. If you display it soon enough after configuration, you will see it downloading the core as shown in the screenshot below.
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_11_core.png
Once the core has downloaded, the Folding@Home client will download its first work unit and begin to process it. When this happens, you will see a screen similar to the one shown below. You can safely minimize the client to the system tray by clicking on its "X" button. To restore it, right click on its icon, and choose Display.
http://www.joink.com/homes/users/jliechty/fah/gui_12_fah.png

and thts it...i will be adding GROMACS and other stuff soon..

Spicker
01-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@22 January 2004 - 00:31
why dont you just update the first page of the old topic?

{I}{K}{E}

btw. wasnt this spammed before on all the worlds?

I move this to the lounge because I think it fits there better.
i did not know if it was spammed in the worlds....sorry...

:frusty: <_<

i guess thts it...
if anybody wants to know more and would like to know about GROMACS...just ask and ill post tht too ;)

{I}{K}{E}
01-21-2004, 11:43 PM
I also thought that if I moved it to here more people would read it.

I hope you can find people here that would do this ;)

{I}{K}{E}

Spicker
01-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@22 January 2004 - 00:43
I also thought that if I moved it to here more people would read it.

I hope you can find people here that would do this ;)

{I}{K}{E}
k thanx ;)

and btw here is our team statistics..
http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=34905

{I}{K}{E}
01-21-2004, 11:51 PM
I&#39;m installing it :D
but it seems that the setuppages are not the same as you posted maybe you have an older build?

{I}{K}{E}

How long does it take to do 1 part/section?

Spicker
01-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@22 January 2004 - 00:51
I&#39;m installing it :D
but it seems that the setuppages are not the same as you posted maybe you have an older build?

{I}{K}{E}

How long does it take to do 1 part/section?
it all depends on the protein u are doing..if you are doing a simple protein then it doesnt take long time....usually a one WU takes 12hrz some times even TRIPLE THAT it also depends on your CPU the faster the better :D
(EVERY MHz COUNTS :) )

currently i hav P41.9GHZ OCED @ 2.10GHZ the WU im working on now is out of 600 and its going pretty fast itll get done in 12hrz...the one b4 was 400 and it took like a day or 2..

and one more thing if u turn off ur computer it continues WHERE YOU LEFT OFF...
so you dont hav to start all over again...

{I}{K}{E}
01-22-2004, 12:05 AM
Thnx. I understand it now...

I try to let it run 24/7 ;)

{I}{K}{E}

Spicker
01-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@22 January 2004 - 01:05
Thnx. I understand it now...

Hope I can contribute ;)

{I}{K}{E}
thanx :D

namzuf9
01-22-2004, 12:09 AM
Installed and running now.
Good idea moving it to the lounge, I&#39;m sure a load more peeps will see this now.

liquidacid
01-22-2004, 12:22 AM
I&#39;ve joined too and will let this run at all times, unless i&#39;m gaming. I&#39;ve also had UD Agent (http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm) running for a while now which helps in cancer research. My computer is running 24-7, and i&#39;m not even at it most the time so why not use up some clock cycles.

Well done jaigandhi5, for promoting this.

EDIT :- Athlon XP 2400 = 2gHz (let&#39;s not get into that one, ok :lol: (the geeks here will understand))

Spicker
01-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by liquidacid@22 January 2004 - 01:22
I've joined too and will let this run at all times, unless i'm gaming. I've also had UD Agent (http://www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm) running for a while now which helps in cancer research. My computer is running 24-7, and i'm not even at it most the time so why not use up some clock cycles.

Well done jaigandhi5, for promoting this.

thanx guyz

"Every Mhz Counts" ;)
anyone wana know what gromacs are?

little summary..

What is gromacs?

Gromacs is the new folding core (FAHcore_78.exe) GROMACS provides extremely high performance compared to all other programs. For some calculations, gromacs affords benefits over the current code in FAH (the current code is based on Jay Ponder's Tinker), especially a great speed increase (perhaps up to 10x-20x)

anyone interested..? :rolleyes:

Spider_dude
01-22-2004, 12:29 AM
i have signed up also.

1.35ghz i believe, and about 16 hours a day, sometimes more.

Spicker
01-22-2004, 12:31 AM
yea and anyone who signs up plz just put ur CPU speed and how long u leave it on...

so we hav a rough overview of how many Ghz running ;)

Lamsey
01-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by liquidacid@21 January 2004 - 23:22
I&#39;ve joined too and will let this run at all times, unless i&#39;m gaming.
There&#39;s no point in doing that at all - the process priority is automatically set to low so it will never harm your gaming performance. The folding program never uses CPU cycles if there is another program needing them. It also uses at most 10MB of RAM, so it&#39;s not going to clog up your memory either.

Spicker
01-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey+22 January 2004 - 01:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 22 January 2004 - 01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-liquidacid@21 January 2004 - 23:22
I&#39;ve joined too and will let this run at all times, unless i&#39;m gaming.
There&#39;s no point in doing that at all - the process priority is automatically set to low so it will never harm your gaming performance. The folding program never uses CPU cycles if there is another program needing them. It also uses at most 10MB of RAM, so it&#39;s not going to clog up your memory either. [/b][/quote]
yea thts right...i leave it on all the time ;) (except when my mom tells me to shut down the computer :lol: )

also i read somewhere you should not hav screensavers...because some of them use the cpu <_< ;)

Lamsey
01-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@21 January 2004 - 23:39
also i read somewhere you should not hav screensavers...because some of them use the cpu <_< ;)
Yes, but not much - unless it&#39;s a 3d-intensive one and you don&#39;t have a good 3d card. Simple 2d screensavers shouldn&#39;t hurt performance much.

{I}{K}{E}
01-22-2004, 12:42 AM
good you pinned it LAMSEY I was planning to suggest this ;)

{I}{K}{E}

liquidacid
01-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey
There&#39;s no point in doing that at all - the process priority is automatically set to low so it will never harm your gaming performance. The folding program never uses CPU cycles if there is another program needing them. It also uses at most 10MB of RAM, so it&#39;s not going to clog up your memory either.

Oh right. Ok, i&#39;ll run it all the time then. ;)

(That reminds me Lamsey, i&#39;m owing you HW2, will sort it out soon - promise :) )

Spicker
01-22-2004, 12:45 AM
thank you guyz the mods at this forum are GREAT&#33; ;)

i guess i better start telling you about other stuff about FAH :D

btw my first sticky i feel like im going to cry :D

once again thank you :D

Spicker
01-22-2004, 12:56 AM
What is gromacs?

Gromacs is the new folding core (FAHcore_78.exe) GROMACS provides extremely high performance compared to all other programs. For some calculations, gromacs affords benefits over the current code in FAH (the current code is based on Jay Ponder&#39;s Tinker), especially a great speed increase (perhaps up to 10x-20x). This will substantially increase the power of FAH for many calculations.

some ppl say that it actually gives you more points as well...so its a WIn WIN&#33; situation :D

Streaming SIMD(Single Instruction Multiple Data) Extensions

Processors & applications that do not use SSE process one data element in one instruction, a processing style called Single Instruction Single Data, or SISD. In contrast, processors having the SIMD capability have the ability to process more than one data element in one instruction. In other words the processor can work harder with the same two hands (if you get the metaphor). Using SSE requires support from the application, the operating system & the CPU.

Processors that have SSE are as follows..

Athlon XP
Duron 1 GHz & above (morgan core)
Pentium 4
Pentium 3
Celeron 566 mhz & above (coppermine & tualatin cores)

Processors that do not have SSE are as follows..

Duron 950 & below (spitfire core)
Athlon (K7, K75, & Thunderbird cores)
K6-3
K6-2
Celeron 533 MHz & below
Pentium 2
Pentium
All Via/Cyrix CPU&#39;s

Anything released before the processors listed of course does not have SSE.

Any version of Windows after &#39;98 supports SSE (95&#39; may just not sure). Any newer Linux distro should have support as well.

The Gromacs core also uses AMD’s 3Dnow&#33; which was first introduced in their K6-2 CPU’s and underwent a facelift beginning with Thunderbird core Athlons & all Durons. The new version is often called 3Dnow&#33; Professional, Extended3Dnow&#33; and 3Dnow&#33;+. However, this from Vijay Pande the leader of the project..

So what does SSE/3Dnow&#33; do for your frame times? It depends on what processor you have. But generally, a whole damn lot. With any SSE capable chip your points will increase significantly, as much as 500%.

Why? Well Stanford has to set their point values and deadlines based on chips that do not have assembly optimizations (SSE/3Dnow&#33;). If they didn&#39;t the chips that had no assembly ops and got Gromacs proteins would never make the deadlines. Their benchmarking machine is in fact a P2 based Celeron running at 500mhz.

Pentium 4s get an especially large boost from the Gromacs core. So much so it almost seems silly. Why do the Pentium 4’s get such a big improvement? It is not because of SSE2, Gromacs does not use SSE2..

how to add gromac
First off you must be using the 3.14 client or later. Make a shortcut to the console. Right click the shortcut & select properties. The target line should look something like this

"C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Folding@Home&#092;FAH3Console.exe"

All you have to do is add -advmethods to the end of that line like so.

"C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Folding@Home&#092;FAH3Console.exe" -advmethods
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/gromac1.JPG
Remember to leave the quotes in&#33; Click Apply then click Ok. Start the client with that shortcut and your chances of receiving Gromacs proteins will be increased significantly.

this is what i did...
in the START UP folder there already should be a shortcut to FAH just right click on that and edit that instead of making a new shortcut...but if u make a new one its easier to access and u can move it to your desktop..its your choice ;)

MAKE SURE UR CPU COMES IN THE SSE RANGE OR DONT DO THE ADV METHOD ;)
source (http://www.ocforums.com/vb/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130328&highlight=groma%252A)

EDIT: forgot to add that the changes will take effect after you are done with the current WU <_<

HCT
01-22-2004, 05:56 AM
:huh: can you explain all this to me again cuz im confused? :huh:

Spicker
01-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by HCT@22 January 2004 - 06:56
wt are u confused about?

liquidacid
01-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by HCT@22 January 2004 - 06:56
It&#39;s explained very clearly here. (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=95354&st=0) :)

HCT
01-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5+22 January 2004 - 16:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jaigandhi5 @ 22 January 2004 - 16:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-HCT@22 January 2004 - 06:56
wt are u confused about? [/b][/quote]
how is a computer going to fight cancer?

RGX
01-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by HCT+23 January 2004 - 21:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HCT @ 23 January 2004 - 21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@22 January 2004 - 16:49
<!--QuoteBegin-HCT@22 January 2004 - 06:56
wt are u confused about?
how is a computer going to fight cancer? [/b][/quote]
How about you read the first post carefully again.

Spicker
01-23-2004, 09:25 PM
1. What is FAH?
FAH is a distributed computing project, the purpose of which is to learn how proteins fold and misfold. By breaking down the process by which proteins are created we can find out what causes them to miscreate or misfold. The hope is that this will lead to future research that can help scientists come up with better treatments/cures for many of todays common ailments. But the most important part of the project is putting together an effective model of how to fold and unfold proteins with supercomputer power.

;)

Spicker
01-23-2004, 09:26 PM
and i want everyone to install the GROMACS thing its SOO EFECTIVE&#33;

i had a wu tht was 2500 thingies long and i got it done in 24HRZ&#33; thts over a 1000 in 12HRZ it helps ALOT&#33;&#33;&#33; install it ;) will make ur score go up :D

Afronaut
01-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@23 January 2004 - 23:26

i had a wu tht was 2500 thingies long and i got it done in 24HRZ&#33; thts over a 1000 in 12HRZ it helps ALOT&#33;&#33;&#33; install it ;) will make ur score go up :D
Hey, gimme a link where to DL FAHcore_78.exe
Cant seem to find it.
All this tech talk and no links.

:lol:

Im on the team, i think, atleast im trying...

:cool2:

Spicker
01-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Guitar&#045;Slinger+24 January 2004 - 12:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guitar-Slinger @ 24 January 2004 - 12:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@23 January 2004 - 23:26

Hey, gimme a link where to DL FAHcore_78.exe
Cant seem to find it.
All this tech talk and no links.

Im on the team, i think, atleast im trying...

:cool2: [/b][/quote]
u dont need a link or anything all u need to do is change the shortcut and as soon as the WU ur working on is done the program will download the core_78.... ;) automatically and it will say in the log "gromacs"

thts wt i did...
it worked ;)
also not all the projects are GROMACS based so once in awhile u will get a normal one... <_< i got one yesterday....out of 400 taking soooooo long compared to the core_78 ;)

oh well...i can wait ;)

Afronaut
01-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Ok, cool, im using this app now.

:)

Death to Cancer &#33; &#33;

Afronaut
01-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Ok, was chatting about this with a friend on tha Chat.

Apparently this app might heat up the CPU if left alone,
any opinions on that?

I will install some CPU-temperature-controlling software now,
just to make my PC to shut down if it heats up too much.

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Slinger,

Especially when you&#39;re folding Gromacs your CPU-temp can go up quite a bit.
For me this was a serious problem as I&#39;m addicted to "silent computing" too, having a low airflow rig etc.

When you fold (and you should when you have your rig running anyway), keep an eye on those temps.

EDIT:

Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) is fine freeware to keep an eye on your CPU and HDs.
Regard the 65 degrees Celsius mark for your CPU as a border you shouldn&#39;t cross.

Han.

Afronaut
01-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@24 January 2004 - 15:37
Slinger,

Especially when you&#39;re folding Gromacs your CPU-temp can go up quite a bit.
For me this was a serious problem as I&#39;m addicted to "silent computing" too, having a low airflow rig etc.

When you fold (and you should when you have your rig running anyway), keep an eye on those temps.

EDIT:

Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) is fine freeware to keep an eye on your CPU and HDs.
Regard the 65 degrees Celsius mark for your CPU as a border you shouldn&#39;t cross.

Han.
Thank you very much &#33; Will download and install the app.

Damn SS went down when we was talking about this...

Cheers:
-GS-

Rocktron
01-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Rocky is Folding..

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/Rocky%20Folding1.jpg

I must say i did not read all of it yet but i am working on it as we speak. ;)

The cause speaks for itself..

I&#39;m happy to be of any kind of help.

Rocktron

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Ok,

Now I added a second rig to the Folding-community,
this time folding for team 34905 &#33;

This might be my only chance to kick Lamsey&#39;s ass....

I assume you&#39;ve all checked the Team statistics (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=34905), and noticed that Lamsey isn&#39;t leading by THAT much :)

We still can catch him...

Han.

Rocktron
01-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@24 January 2004 - 16:34
Ok,

Now I added a second rig to the Folding-community,
this time folding for team 34905 &#33;

This might be my only chance to kick Lamsey&#39;s ass....

I assume you&#39;ve all checked the Team statistics (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=34905), and noticed that Lamsey isn&#39;t leading by THAT much :)

Han.
Sure thing Han-Man

Let&#39;s go and catch that bunny rabbit with those fluffy eyebrows... :D

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Some more useful links:

See our team ranking @ #1291 (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php?&pagenumber=13)

Our Team Stats on ExtremeOverClocking (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overview.php?TeamID=34905)

And here you can get Electron Microscope (http://www.em-dc.com/), a program to monitor your progress.

Lamsey
01-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@24 January 2004 - 14:34

:blink:

I&#39;m 15th. I only joined a week ago, ffs :huh:

FlyingDutchman
01-24-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+24 January 2004 - 17:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 24 January 2004 - 17:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FlyingDutchman@24 January 2004 - 14:34
I assume you&#39;ve all checked the Team statistics (http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=34905), and noticed that Lamsey isn&#39;t leading by THAT much&nbsp; &nbsp; :)

I&#39;m 15th. I only joined a week ago, ffs :huh: [/b][/quote]
Right, so anyone can still catch you &#33;

All you need is your rig, and the commitment to do it &#33; :rolleyes:

Spicker
01-24-2004, 06:17 PM
119/400...

goin slow...old protein...folding...

btw glad to see ppl intereseted in this :D

"FOLD ON&#33;"

summerlinda
01-24-2004, 06:23 PM
I&#39;m sure theres an easier way to explain this prog. :blink:

To much abracadabra in this thread to me. Thanks to Slinger i had it working in a few minutes, while reading this thread only gave my headaches.

You have got to remember that theres a lot of foreign non geeks on this board who would like to contribute as well.

Just my 2 cents :)

Spicker
01-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda@24 January 2004 - 19:23
I&#39;m sure theres an easier way to explain this prog. :blink:

To much abracadabra in this thread to me. Thanks to Slinger i had it working in a few minutes, while reading this thread only gave my headaches.

You have got to remember that theres a lot of foreign non geeks on this board who would like to contribute as well.

Just my 2 cents :)
if they don&#39;t understand they can post here and ask ;) :lol:

summerlinda
01-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@24 January 2004 - 19:29

if they don&#39;t understand they can post here and ask ;) :lol:
Im ashamed to ask, you will all think Im a n00b..
Ahh well, you know now :lol:

Spicker
01-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda+24 January 2004 - 19:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (summerlinda @ 24 January 2004 - 19:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@24 January 2004 - 19:29

if they don&#39;t understand they can post here and ask ;)&nbsp; :lol:
Ahh well, you know now :lol: [/b][/quote]
JUST ASK PPL&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: <_< :rolleyes:

summerlinda
01-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@24 January 2004 - 19:36

JUST ASK PPL&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: <_< :rolleyes:
I DID&#33;
No need to shout at Linda :(

Spicker
01-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda+24 January 2004 - 19:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (summerlinda @ 24 January 2004 - 19:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@24 January 2004 - 19:36

JUST ASK PPL&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:&nbsp; <_<&nbsp; :rolleyes:
I DID&#33;
No need to shout at Linda :( [/b][/quote]
sry for shouting....lol just making a notice to everyone...(not just u) :lol:

Fold On :rolleyes:

FlyingDutchman
01-25-2004, 12:51 PM
:angry: :angry:

[11:15:22] Finished a frame (209)
[11:21:43] Finished a frame (210)
[11:27:39] Finished a frame (211)
[11:33:32] Finished a frame (212)
[11:35:42]
[11:35:42] Received faulty work unit.
[11:35:52] logfile size: 20480
[11:35:52] - Writing 20992 bytes of core data to disk.
[11:35:52]&nbsp; end (WriteWorkResults)
[11:35:52]
[11:35:52] Folding@Home2 Core Shutdown: BAD_WORK_UNIT
[11:35:55] CoreStatus = 72 (114)
[11:35:55] Sending work to server

[11:35:55] + Attempting to send results
[11:35:57] + Results successfully sent
[11:35:57] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@home.
[11:36:02] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[11:36:02] + Attempting to get work packet
[11:36:02] - Connecting to assignment server
[11:36:03] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.122.143).
[11:36:03] + News From Folding@Home: v.4 client available
[11:36:03] Loaded queue successfully.
[11:36:04] + Closed connections

We&#39;ll have to wait and see if the team get points for this one :(

If so, it&#39;s a fast way to earn points..... :rolleyes:

EDIT:
:angry: :angry: #@&%##&#036; :angry: :angry:
Only 1 point &#33;&#33;&#33;
I should have earned 70.9 points for a completed WU
:angry: :angry:

Ahhh, well, that&#39;s life I suppose.
Sometimes you get screwed.... <_<

summerlinda
01-25-2004, 02:36 PM
You have to take better care of that Protein of yours, nurture it, talk to it, feed it etc. Thats what I do and I see my protein blooming :D

FlyingDutchman
01-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda@25 January 2004 - 14:36
You have to take better care of that Protein of yours, nurture it, talk to it, feed it etc.
Mmmmm, :frusty: always thought proteins were supposed to nurture ME :rolleyes:

{I}{K}{E}
01-25-2004, 09:48 PM
stopped using it srry, it was causing to much &#39;errors&#39; and &#39;lags&#39; on my custom GUI. even on the lowest CPU

{I}{K}{E}

internet.news
01-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@25 January 2004 - 22:48
stopped using it srry, it was causing to much &#39;errors&#39; and &#39;lags&#39; on my custom GUI. even on the lowest CPU

{I}{K}{E}
Seti is better in my eyes, nothing against it - both are useful...

I used long time Seti@home, but finally prefer Kazaa running ;) But, no Seti is nice...

FlyingDutchman
01-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Just to show you what we&#39;re doing is child&#39;s play. :unsure:

It makes me humble.
Over at Sudhian.com (http://www.sudhian.com) a guy named MarkF build a &#39;Folding Farm&#39;.
A rack totally filled with stripped boards, with a single goal: Folding.
Every floor in this rack carries 2 boards.

(Pics are shamelessly nicked from Sudhian)

http://www.talix.com/Folding/Rack_Quarter_25.jpg

http://www.talix.com/Folding/Rack_DownView_25.jpg

http://www.talix.com/Folding/Rack_Side_25.jpg

http://www.talix.com/Folding/Rack_Desk_25.jpg

Rocktron
01-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@26 January 2004 - 21:04

It makes me humble.
Over at Sudhian.com (http://www.sudhian.com) a guy named MarkF build a &#39;Folding Farm&#39;.
A rack totally filled with stripped boards, with a single goal: Folding.
Every floor in this rack carries 2 boards.

(Pics are shamelessly nicked from Sudhian)

Now these things are AWESOME&#33;

what are they? :unsure:

Just kidding. :rolleyes:

summerlinda
01-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@26 January 2004 - 21:04

Thats it, i&#39;ll give up :blink:

Not really...

_John_Lennon_
01-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by summerlinda+24 January 2004 - 13:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (summerlinda @ 24 January 2004 - 13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@24 January 2004 - 19:29

if they don&#39;t understand they can post here and ask ;)&nbsp; :lol:
Ahh well, you know now :lol: [/b][/quote]
Umm, you guys are all newbs.... lol.

No but serious, if you guys need any advice with it, just throw a message in here, myself and several others, Clocker too I believe, have been folding for other teams before this one.

_John_Lennon_
01-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@25 January 2004 - 16:48

{I}{K}{E}
On your custom GUI? What is your setup, and what GUI were you using? Style XP with some theme or something? Please explain more so we can help resolve this problem.

Im going to bookmark this thread, and check back daily to see if anyone else needs help.

Spicker
01-29-2004, 09:45 PM
hey john im catching up to u&#33; :P :P :D

_John_Lennon_
01-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@29 January 2004 - 16:45
hey john im catching up to u&#33; :P :P :D
Of course you are, im not folding 24/7, just when my computer is on, which is afternoons during the week, and about 18 hours a day during the weekends.

Also, im going a big WU right now, should be finished by the end of the day.

Spicker
01-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+29 January 2004 - 23:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 29 January 2004 - 23:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@29 January 2004 - 16:45
hey john im catching up to u&#33; :P&nbsp; :P&nbsp; :D
Of course you are, im not folding 24/7, just when my computer is on, which is afternoons during the week, and about 18 hours a day during the weekends.

Also, im going a big WU right now, should be finished by the end of the day. [/b][/quote]
i get like 3-4 WUs done in 24hrz but some times i give my cpu a little rest for an hour and start again&#33; ;)
(i have it on 24hrz)

i actually have one question when you right click on the icon in the taskbar and then go to STATUS>QUEUE INFO what is tht whats the que all about? i dont get tht part..

_John_Lennon_
01-29-2004, 10:32 PM
No idea, your using the graphical version. I use the command line only version, and I have it set in the background to run as a service. Thus if I need to stop it, all I have to do is use the Net commands in the command prompt, and I just have a link to the FAH log, and the info log to check my progress.

Quite handy.

Lamsey
01-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@29 January 2004 - 21:29
i get like 3-4 WUs done in 24hrz but some times i give my cpu a little rest for an hour and start again&#33; ;)
(i have it on 24hrz)
that&#39;s actaully bad for your CPU, if you let it cool down regularly after being at a constant heat then it damages the chip more than keeping it going at full tilt.

The reason is because the CPU expands and contracts as it heats up and cools respectively - if this happens too much the CPU is in danger of cracking. There is no reason not to run your CPU at full usage 100% of the time, it might actually extend its life.

TRshady
01-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Ive joined and now working under the name TRshady :)

Proud to be able to help ... though I really dont see how this works ...

Have a 1.5ghz comp running ..... 24/7 :D

Spicker
01-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey+29 January 2004 - 23:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 29 January 2004 - 23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@29 January 2004 - 21:29
(i have it on 24hrz)
that&#39;s actaully bad for your CPU, if you let it cool down regularly after being at a constant heat then it damages the chip more than keeping it going at full tilt.

The reason is because the CPU expands and contracts as it heats up and cools respectively - if this happens too much the CPU is in danger of cracking. There is no reason not to run your CPU at full usage 100% of the time, it might actually extend its life. [/b][/quote]
i only did tht like once every 3 dayz...

but now i wont do it anymore thanx for the info ;)
i never knew you could extend the cpus life :o cool :D

so does everyone have Gromacs installed?? :smilie4: :01:

TRshady
01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Just taking a pic of the teams stats .... thought it would be nice to look back in a months time and see our progress. Here is is:

http://www.rileysresource.net/nonsiteimages/klffoldpicjan.png

Hope more take part in this :D

kAb
01-30-2004, 12:18 AM
I&#39;d be glad to help out for a good cause.

Downloaded it now, and I&#39;ll keep it running as much as possible :)

TRshady
01-30-2004, 12:20 AM
Nice one kAb ...... I installed just over an hour ago ... lets see whos has a higher posistion after a week ....... ready ... set ... goooooo&#33; :01:

Spicker
01-30-2004, 12:22 AM
btw i noe y bigdawgfox has so many WUs he went to his school...and borged LOTS of computer....

tht lucky guy has like P4s 1.7ghz at his school mine has P2 233mhz... ;)

damn borger....

its very easy to borg its like a .bat file and u just run the bat file and the cmd windows pops up does everything and the FAH starts up....the person wont even know tht u hav it running (runs with services)

theres a .cfg file as well which u config and put ur username and team number B)

one clickers:
Win XP, and WIN 2k (http://justa-larrkin.com/folding/OC-FAH-SSE.zip)
Windows 9x (http://www.justa-larrkin.com/folding/One-Click-Win9x.zip)

get permission b4 u start putting this on floppys and going and putting em all over ur school or workplace u could get suspended/fireD&#33; :ph34r:

hav fun borging

remember to edit the .cfg file
and put my name in it :ph34r: :lol: j/k

Spicker
01-30-2004, 12:24 AM
once again to all u folders INSTALL UR GROMACS&#33; it gives u a big BOOST&#33;

TRshady
01-30-2004, 12:25 AM
hmmmmm ..........

My school has over 100 new G5&#39;s .... I have a little idea. Stay tuned :P

Spicker
01-30-2004, 12:30 AM
lucky U

remember if u have HYPER threading or some tht has dual processing (G5)

u have to run 2 instances of FAH for it to fully take effect or it will only work 50% of cpu <_<

lol ill try and find FAH for MACs...lol

also im looking for a new sig....(banner)
i suck in photoshop....

btw check ur cpu TEMPS make sure they arent going too high&#33;

for me my temp stays at 44 C unless when the heat is on it goes to 46-47 never higher then tht....and i hav overclocked my P4 [email protected]

TRshady
01-30-2004, 12:32 AM
I&#39;ll make a KLF forum sig as a supporters banner type thing tomorrow which people can feel free to use.

By the way, can you explain gromacs? ..

I installed the installer linked to in the first thread, set username and left running ... now it shows:

17/400 ..... 4%

Am I doing everything right or is there more to it?

Spicker
01-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by TRshady@30 January 2004 - 01:32
I&#39;ll make a KLF forum sig as a supporters banner type thing tomorrow which people can feel free to use.

By the way, can you explain gromacs? ..

I installed the installer linked to in the first thread, set username and left running ... now it shows:

17/400 ..... 4%

Am I doing everything right or is there more to it?
go to the second page there is a guide on it :D ;)

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@29 January 2004 - 19:22
btw i noe y bigdawgfox has so many WUs he went to his school..
Wrong, if that was the case, it would be saying more than just 1 active processor in Bigdawg&#39;s profile.

He has so many WU&#39;s because he overclocked unstably, and was bouncing WU&#39;s instead of completing them, they finish one frame, and fail and send in the work to the server, this, a WU is done, but no points are recieved, and a new WU is downloaded.

Spicker
01-30-2004, 01:39 AM
somewhere in the hardwareworld post he said he put it on a couple of his school computers as well... :unsure:

kAb
01-30-2004, 03:17 AM
why wouldn&#39;t gromacs be included if its so much faster?

edit: nvm i get it now :rolleyes:

TRshady
01-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Anyone able to give me a 5 step guide to &#39;getting&#39; gromacs.
I read that page but it makes no sense to me and isn&#39;t clear. Im not sure which .exe to make a shortcut as the one mentioned isn&#39;t in my folding@home folder ot startup folder.

Cheers ........

Spicker
01-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@30 January 2004 - 09:39
Anyone able to give me a 5 step guide to &#39;getting&#39; gromacs.
I read that page but it makes no sense to me and isn&#39;t clear. Im not sure which .exe to make a shortcut as the one mentioned isn&#39;t in my folding@home folder ot startup folder.

Cheers ........
ill explain it to u when i come back from school...

its 6:30AM right now...

ill come back at 3:25PM

l8tz

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah, im about to take off for school, but you will have to explain this to me too, im probably already using it, just a bit confused.

Spicker
01-30-2004, 08:54 PM
;) ok i came back from school early....toaday turn over day...so u could skip classes so i came early...

ok ill expain gromacs

There are 2 cores (FAHCore_78.exe and FAHCore_65.exe) you can check which core you are running by pushing CTRL+ALT+DELETE...

CORE_78 is gromacs the new fast one...
CORE_65 is the slow one

most of you probably have core_65 so u want it to be core_78

Method:
Either make a shorcut or use the startup shortcut (which is already there) from "winFAH.exe" which is probably in your "folding@home directory" (in program files)

now go to your shortcut and RIGHT CLICK>PROPERTIES then change this:
add -advmethods -forceasm at the end of the target after the (") ;)
just copy and paste this.... "C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Folding@Home&#092;winFAH.exe" -advmethods -forceasm (if ur using the default directory..)

PIC:
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/FAHTEAMSSSS.JPG
it should look something like tht

then click ok and when the WU ur working on right now is done the "winfah.exe" will AUTOMATICALLY download the new core_78 and you will be folding gromacs in ur next project
u can check ur LOG file to see if it is using the gromacs are not at the beginng of a project..
but sometimes you dont always get gromacs....so then u will get the use the old core...

remember the old core projects are usually out of 400..

but you will see a big difference in the folding speed with the gromacs for sure :D

i hope this explains it well.... ;)
if u still have questions feel free to ask... ;)

Spicker
01-30-2004, 08:58 PM
and just to prove how much this helps look at the team stats page...

i used to be in 25th or 26th place and look at me now..... ;)

im geting like 4WUs done in 24hrz sometimes even 5WUs :)

lynx
01-30-2004, 09:50 PM
The original explanation said you didn&#39;t need the "-forceasm" option because it would use it anyway if available.

Now that I&#39;ve added that option I see "Extra 3DNow boost OK" in my log file which wasn&#39;t there before, so hopefully things should be working faster.

_John_Lennon_
01-30-2004, 10:11 PM
I didnt know using -advmethods would add speed, but I know that -forceasm does.

Spicker
01-30-2004, 10:28 PM
also gromacs dont show going by 1s they go by 5s 25s and stuff... :)
but in the log they go by ones :)

but i always push CTRL+ALT+DELETE to check if im running gromacs or a crappy tinker <_<

kAb
01-31-2004, 05:36 AM
so i have to wait till i&#39;m done with my first wu before gromacs will work?

FlyingDutchman
01-31-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@30 January 2004 - 22:11
I didnt know using -advmethods would add speed, but I know that -forceasm does.
As of client 4.0 there is a new switch: -forceSSE

Quote from: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/rema...22116~mode=flat (http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8922116~mode=flat)

With an AMD processor, -forceSSE forces SSE on, -forceasm forces 3DNOW on and if you don&#39;t code either, you run with just normal processing. -forceSSE = fast, -forceasm = slower and no switch = very slow.

Quote from: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/rema...29493~mode=flat (http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8929493~mode=flat)

The -forceSSE switch forces an AMD processor to use its SSE optimizations. Use this switch only if SSE optimizations work well for you. If running the client under SSE optimizations causes too many problems, then switch to -forceasm, which will force 3DNow optimizations on an AMD processor. Seldom do AMDs have problems with 3DNow, but some do have trouble with SSE.

Quote from: http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=6170

The assembly optimization for SSE is the code that occasionally pushes many AMD machines into unstable conditions. The parameter -forceSSE simply gives those who have demonstrated their machines are stable with SSE operations to regain the extra 15% speed boost that they had before the default was changed to 3DNow optimizations.

There are 3 types of code in the PC version of Gromacs: Unoptimized, 3DNow+, and SSE. How you invoke them was changed depending on the flags and the client version, but the fundamental code is still the same.

So, with the newer AMD CPUs you could use:

-advmethods -forceSSE

Fold on &#33; :)

Spicker
01-31-2004, 12:16 PM
mine already has the sse boost without the forcesse flag.... ;)

LOG FILE:

[05:27:06] Folding@home Gromacs Core
[05:27:06] Version 1.55 (December 22, 2003)
[05:27:06]
[05:27:06] Preparing to commence simulation
[05:27:06] - Assembly optimizations manually forced on.
[05:27:06] - Not checking prior termination.
[05:27:07] - Expanded 371883 -> 1856741 (decompressed 499.2 percent)
[05:27:07] - Starting from initial work packet
[05:27:07]
[05:27:07] Project: 850 (Run 8, Clone 98, Gen 1)
[05:27:07]
[05:27:07] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[05:27:07] Entering M.D.
[05:27:13] Protein: p850_p53dimer850
[05:27:13]
[05:27:13] Writing local files
[05:27:13] Extra SSE boost OK.
but im not using AMD so it might help other people... :D ;)

thanx for the tip m8

FOLD ON :01:

Spicker
01-31-2004, 12:19 PM
another quote:

With an AMD processor, -forceSSE forces SSE on, -forceasm forces 3DNOW on and if you don&#39;t code either, you run with just normal processing. -forceSSE = fast, -forceasm = slower and no switch = very slow.

EDIT: found more stuff...

Crunch like mad? Use these switches for an AMD processor:

-forceSSE -advmethods

For an Intel processor:

-advmethods is all you need.

Want the client to talk to you as much as it can? Add this switch:

-verbosity 9

FlyingDutchman
01-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@31 January 2004 - 12:19
another quote:

but would this work on P4s?
I assume the windows client is optimized for Intel CPUs by default, and therefor Intel-based rigs don&#39;t need many switches.

Running Folding@Home has shown that AMD CPUs are awsome performers, but they need to be cared for, like any race-horse :rolleyes:

Folders on AMD CPUs have to find out which switches work best for them.
When you do want optimum performance you need a very stable machine with good cooling.
When you don&#39;t want optimum performance, you could fold without using a switch at all.

But, if you can&#39;t accept Lamsey outranking you ( like I can&#39;t ), you&#39;ll need the switches or a whole lot more machines. :01:

Fold on &#33; :)

Spicker
01-31-2004, 01:17 PM
im catching up to him :o :D :D :rolleyes:

he has 3 pcs running for him and i only have one... <_<
do u think i have a chance? :lol:

btw ill be done another WU in 20-30 mins :D

Spicker
01-31-2004, 07:45 PM
so..tr shady wt happen to the sig/banner u were going to make?
or someone want to do it?

lynx
01-31-2004, 10:05 PM
Ah, got "Extra SSE boost OK" now.

Wonder what difference it will make.
It might keep Lamsey behind me for just a little bit longer.

Lamsey
01-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by lynx@31 January 2004 - 21:05

Your ass is mine and you know it :P

lynx
01-31-2004, 10:26 PM
Folding is now going over twice as fast.

I&#39;ve only got one processor at the moment, but I should soon have another. :lol:

Lamsey
02-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+31 January 2004 - 21:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 31 January 2004 - 21:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@31 January 2004 - 21:05

Your ass is mine and you know it :P [/b][/quote]
http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/klfteam.gif
Well, while Lynx is choking in my dust, I&#39;ll just set my sights on Bigdawg and Nigel, shall I? :D

lynx
02-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Bar steward. :P

ObiWan
02-01-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@31 January 2004 - 19:45
so..tr shady wt happen to the sig/banner u were going to make?
or someone want to do it?
i have one but need an image host

Spicker
02-01-2004, 08:34 PM
use this mate :D

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/

no need to sign up :)

ObiWan
02-01-2004, 10:00 PM
got it uploaded on sighost

http://www.sighost.us/members/ObiWan/klf_folding.gif

location: http://www.sighost.us/members/ObiWan/klf_folding.gif

Livy
02-01-2004, 11:16 PM
we are now ranked, 1003, just about past the 1000 mark.

Spicker
02-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Livy@2 February 2004 - 00:16
we are now ranked, 1003, just about past the 1000 mark.
make that 1000 :rolleyes: :D :D :D

GOOD JOB GUYZ :D :D

FOLD ON&#33; :01:

Livy
02-02-2004, 02:45 AM
998th, officially into 3 digits now, now all we gotta do is get up to 100th place. :D

Spicker
02-02-2004, 03:28 AM
oh and about the sig/banner i was looking for something that was done with photoshop and not with xara 3d B)

but thnx again for the sig :D

_John_Lennon_
02-02-2004, 06:05 AM
Ugh, im 13th.

Computer was down all day and last night, so lets hope some 24/7 duty will get me back on track, and as soon as my flash drive arrives, she is going to be putting F@H on a bunch of computers.

thewizeard
02-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey+1 February 2004 - 12:57--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 1 February 2004 - 12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Lamsey@31 January 2004 - 21:19

Well, while Lynx is choking in my dust, I'll just set my sights on Bigdawg and Nigel, shall I? :D
Please do Lamsey...but soon when things have settled this end, my folding will be back on 24/7... :)

Livy
02-03-2004, 12:37 AM
does anyone know if its possible o choose what wu u download.

Spicker
02-03-2004, 12:49 AM
not i dont think its possible lol :unsure:

FlyingDutchman
02-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Livy@3 February 2004 - 00:37
does anyone know if its possible o choose what wu u download.
To some extend, yes.

In the config-screen you can choose:

Genome@Home
Folding@Home
or no preference.

When you choose Folding@home you get mostly (or all) tinkers without any switches.
Adding the "-advmethods" switch will get you mostly Gromacs (when available)

Then there is a possibility to join the &#39;beta-team&#39;.
Then you&#39;ll get to test the newest WUs.

Perhaps it&#39;s possible to configure your firewall in such a way that your machine can&#39;t establish a connection with the server(s) that hand out the WUs you don&#39;t want.

I somehow doubt this info is usefull to you :P

Fold on B)

Livy
02-03-2004, 01:09 AM
it was more this i was interested in.
http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html

if there was some way of making it choose a certain ip. u could get a certaion wu maybe, but hey.

i already use the -advmethods on my machines, and also testing the -forcesse one out too.

Krisman
02-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Sweet using the -forceSSE switch speed up my folding quite a bit.

thewizeard
02-03-2004, 09:31 PM
:o Watch out Clocker...Livy is catching up with you.....fast&#33; :o

Livy
02-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by nigel123@3 February 2004 - 21:31
YEP, only 32 points in it now. :)

come on peeps were now past the 1000 mark, and just about comin on 900, fold on, and get team klf up the ranks.

FlyingDutchman
02-04-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Livy+4 February 2004 - 15:09--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy &#064; 4 February 2004 - 15:09)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-nigel123@3 February 2004 - 21:31
:o Watch out Clocker...Livy is catching up with you.....fast&#33;&nbsp; :o
....[/b][/quote]

This message is untrue already, as Livy has arrived at #1

Congrats Livy &#33; :)

We&#39;ve got a new leader now :rolleyes: , and a new target :P

Fold on&#33;

Livy
02-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman+4 February 2004 - 20:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlyingDutchman @ 4 February 2004 - 20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Livy@4 February 2004 - 15:09
<!--QuoteBegin-nigel123@3 February 2004 - 21:31

This message is untrue already, as Livy has arrived at #1

Congrats Livy &#33; :)

Fold on&#33; [/b][/quote]
im in first spot, but the points are neck and neck.

anyway, woohoo, 1st :D

Lamsey
02-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@4 February 2004 - 19:16
Give me a month or so :D

Spicker
02-04-2004, 10:21 PM
dam i cant catch up to u guyz i only have one computer&#33; <_<

any ideas on where i can borge? :rolleyes:

FlyingDutchman
02-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+4 February 2004 - 22:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey &#064; 4 February 2004 - 22:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-FlyingDutchman@4 February 2004 - 19:16
We&#39;ve got a new leader now&nbsp; :rolleyes:&nbsp; , and a new target&nbsp; :P
Give me a month or so :D[/b][/quote]
Run Livy, Run

Livy
02-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman+4 February 2004 - 22:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlyingDutchman @ 4 February 2004 - 22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Lamsey@4 February 2004 - 22:19
<!--QuoteBegin-FlyingDutchman@4 February 2004 - 19:16
Give me a month or so :D
Run Livy, Run [/b][/quote]
i am running,

what machines are you running Lamsey?

Lamsey
02-05-2004, 12:50 AM
Athlon XP 2600+ with 1024MB DDR333, running 24/7 (my PC, mild constant usage plus occasional bursts of high usage ie. games)
Athlon XP 1700+ with 256MB DDR266, running 24/7 (mum and dad&#39;s PC, zero usage a lot of the time with occasional bouts of mild usage)
Celeron-M 1.13GHz with 256MB PC133, running most of the time at 66% (my laptop, sometimes off for several hours if I&#39;m taking it into uni, plus I limit it to 66% throttle as I don&#39;t want to stress it too much)

Spicker
02-05-2004, 01:50 AM
i jus noticied tht my sig is gone&#33; <_<

lol Y?

it was a good perfect size :blink:

dam u guyz are lucky having more then 1 good computer....
and me here with a one crappy 2.10ghz p4 :( :(

Livy
02-05-2004, 02:17 AM
ive got an athlon 2500 barton 512mb @169fsb, running nearly 24/7, sometimes used for gaming.

athlon 1500-mobile 320mb, running 24/7 not used, just surfing net.

and my g/f&#39;s celeron 2ghz 240mb, running nearly 24/7 at the mo, but its usaully just on when getting used.

ive got an old amd k6-2 500, 256mb that i gave to my gran and grandad i could put it on too,

and my g/f old via 533, but it doesnt have net access. her bro uses it now.

lynx
02-05-2004, 09:54 PM
2nd cpu now up and running - 1700XP running linux.

Started installation less than 2 hours ago and I&#39;m using it&#39;s web browser now. :)

thewizeard
02-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by lynx@5 February 2004 - 21:54
2nd cpu now up and running - 1700XP running linux.

Started installation less than 2 hours ago and I&#39;m using it&#39;s web browser now. :)
That will get me slipping back down the list...well I enjoyed being 6th even though it was for a very short time... :D

clocker
02-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Damn.
My computer goes down for a few days for service and look what happens...bushwhacked&#33;

Time to get serious again.
No more Mr. Nice Guy.

BTW, congratulations Team...we&#39;ve broken into the top 1000.
Didn&#39;t really take all that long either...where&#39;d we start, like 6000something wasn&#39;t it?

SciManAl
02-06-2004, 05:16 AM
Woot&#33;&#33;&#33; i needed something to keep my cpu warm and here it is thanks guys practicle and i am yhelping poeple wow very nice... it will vae to compete with muy other one that is tryong to calcuate and find other alien species... on other planets... :01: :lol:

ohh ya 2500+ and 2gigs ecc...

FlyingDutchman
02-06-2004, 10:54 AM
And a big WELCOME for a new folder on out stats page &#33;

:clap: :clap: J&#39;Pol has joined the ranks with his Athlon 1200 :clap: :clap:

His poor machine must have been chewing for days on that big 71 point Tinker :D

Tough to swallow, those WUs, huhhh J&#39;Pol ? :P

atiVidia
02-06-2004, 02:57 PM
im in.

core speed: 2.62ghz Intel

RAM: 512mb ddr266 (pc2100)

comp is on roughly 16 hrs a day

im convincing my parents to allow the other comps in the howse to run too. my dads is a p4 1.5 (the old 423pin) and my sis&#39; is an aXP 2600+ (lol they both got theirs from HP while I built my own lol) my dad has 256mb of RDRAM 600mhz and my sis has 512mb pc2100 ram. both their comps r on for bout 6 hrs a day

Livy
02-06-2004, 04:22 PM
ur droppign behind clocker. :P

we now have reached 800 WU&#39;s :D and ranked about 850th

so abvout 150 places in about 4.5 days.

thewizeard
02-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Error403, it&#39;s time to get folding again...

Livy
02-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by nigel123@6 February 2004 - 16:27
Error403, it&#39;s time to get folding again...
and about everyone else in about the bottom 10/15ish

Rocktron
02-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Ever since today Soulseek hangs when i use the Folding thing&#33;
Tried it without the extra commands, but it still screws up my Soulseek.
When i close the folding thing.. soulseek come&#39;s back on....

Help? I want to use them both&#33;

:angry:

Spicker
02-06-2004, 09:26 PM
hav u oced ur computer?

Spicker
02-06-2004, 11:24 PM
i cant go any higher then 11th......need more computers <_<

:angry: :frusty: :frusty: :ph34r:

Lamsey
02-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@6 February 2004 - 22:24

I&#39;ll be 4th within the next day or two :P :D

Livy
02-07-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey+7 February 2004 - 00:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey &#064; 7 February 2004 - 00:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@6 February 2004 - 22:24

I&#39;ll be 4th within the next day or two :P :D [/b][/quote]
88 points in it

are you going for 3rd?

thewizeard
02-07-2004, 08:16 AM
It&#39;s not the position you are in that&#39;s important...it&#39;s the fact that you&#39;re doing it...thats what&#39;s important&#33;

This is great, the team is growing larger, every day... :)

Livy
02-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by nigel123@7 February 2004 - 08:16
It&#39;s not the position you are in that&#39;s important...it&#39;s the fact that you&#39;re doing it...thats what&#39;s important&#33;

This is great, the team is growing larger, every day... :)
i know, but theres nothing wrong with a bit of friendly competition aswell.

Rocktron
02-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jaigandhi5@6 February 2004 - 22:26
hav u oced ur computer?
What do you mean?

Livy
02-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Rocktron+7 February 2004 - 11:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rocktron @ 7 February 2004 - 11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@6 February 2004 - 22:26
hav u oced ur computer?
What do you mean? [/b][/quote]
have your overclcoked your computer he means.

like making the proccesor speed higher than it should be.

another thing you could try, is throtling folding@home down to about 75% and see if it still happens. the options is in advanced confiquration

Lamsey
02-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Livy+7 February 2004 - 01:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Livy @ 7 February 2004 - 01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Lamsey@7 February 2004 - 00:25
<!--QuoteBegin-jaigandhi5@6 February 2004 - 22:24

I&#39;ll be 4th within the next day or two :P :D
88 points in it

are you going for 3rd? [/b][/quote]
Well, yourself and IC have three CPUs; I know yours are slightly better than mine, and I don&#39;t know about IC but he seems to do well, so I&#39;ll be hard pressed to catch up with you. I&#39;ll overtake Clocker at some point though :devil:

Livy
02-07-2004, 12:07 PM
yeah, clockers pretty sklow at the mo, but i was finding it hard to ctach up with him. hes only slow the now as hes working on sprocket, and now its sprockette i think.

i may be looking into running my 2500 overclocked, when i look into better cooling, and maybe a mobo upgrade, as mine doesnt support vcore changes.

do you use the -forceSSE switch on ur amd machines?

lynx
02-08-2004, 02:47 AM
I don&#39;t know what&#39;s happening recently, but FAH is screwing my machines.

I did a full reinstall of XP on my newest machine, now it usually hangs after a few minutes with FAH. It isn&#39;t overclocked or anything. If I start FAH and then stop it, it still hangs after a while. But if I never start FAH then it doesn&#39;t hang.

My old machine has run for 2 years without hanging. I installed Linux on it the day before yesterday. If I run FAH it hangs within an hour, even if FAH has been cancelled. Without running FAH, it has been up for 30 hours.

Something has obviously happened with the type of projects I am currently receiving (which may have changed because of the reinstallation?), because I never had hanging problems before. I&#39;ll keep trying new projects occasionally, but until these problems go away, sadly, I can no longer commit my machines permanently.

Spicker
02-08-2004, 04:13 AM
hmm i am bored and stuff...

i wana make a website&#33; LOL

maybe like this one:
link (http://folding.octeams.com)

but the problem is i have no experience with CSS or anything

i only know basic HTML (frames and stuff)

anyone wana help out? lol

FlyingDutchman
02-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by lynx@8 February 2004 - 02:47
I don&#39;t know what&#39;s happening recently, but FAH is screwing my machines.

I did a full reinstall of XP on my newest machine, now it usually hangs after a few minutes with FAH. It isn&#39;t overclocked or anything. If I start FAH and then stop it, it still hangs after a while. But if I never start FAH then it doesn&#39;t hang.

My old machine has run for 2 years without hanging. I installed Linux on it the day before yesterday. If I run FAH it hangs within an hour, even if FAH has been cancelled. Without running FAH, it has been up for 30 hours.

Something has obviously happened with the type of projects I am currently receiving (which may have changed because of the reinstallation?), because I never had hanging problems before. I&#39;ll keep trying new projects occasionally, but until these problems go away, sadly, I can no longer commit my machines permanently.

I know it doesn&#39;t help, but Rocktron and I both had similar problems. They started last Thursday.

I had serious problems with a WU from project 524,
locked up the machine 3 times in a row, every time restarting at 0/500 :angry:
Deleting the work-folder doesn&#39;t help as the F@H servers just hand out the same WU over and over again.

As a temp solution I made a backup of my WU several times a day using WinZip.
Shutdown F@H first before zipping it, as F@H writes "shutdown in a normal way" to disk.
Failure to do so (as in a lockup) will restart your WU @ 0/500 when you use the backed up files.

Now what is the cause?
The only thing I can think of:
I used a proggy "CWShredder" mentioned here on the forum. Could it be we all used the same proggy? :unsure:

thewizeard
02-08-2004, 11:26 AM
This feedback probably will not help you very much,...but I have also "folded" one 524...but I have not suffered any freeze-up at all...

kAb
02-08-2004, 10:49 PM
woohoo i&#39;m 51% done with one :01:

(i turn computer off at night, and only have it on from 2-8 in the afternoon.

FlyingDutchman
02-09-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by kAb@8 February 2004 - 22:49
woohoo i&#39;m 51% done with one&nbsp; :01:

(i turn computer off at night, and only have it on from 2-8 in the afternoon.
You probably picked up a &#39;Tinker&#39; kAb. (check your logfile)

Also most starters got a 71 pointer, so yours probably is one too.

A 71 pointer gives you a nice start&#33; B)

Fold on&#33; :)

Livy
02-09-2004, 01:02 AM
stupid tinkers, take ages.

http://www.irishtinkerstable.nl/images/tinkers03.full.jpg

kAb
02-09-2004, 01:33 AM
huh. well i also forgot to add gromacs before i started. so my next one should have gromacs right?

kAb
02-09-2004, 01:34 AM
[16:33:48] PROJECT="work/wudata_01", NSTEPS=3225000, DT=2.0000, DTDUMP=25.000000, TEMP=298.00
[16:33:48] TINKER: Software Tools for Molecular Design

Livy
02-09-2004, 08:15 AM
if your machine has sse commands, then go to your startup folder, and alter then folding at home run command, and add the -advmethods switch, this should give u mostly gromacs, which use optimisations, where as the tinker core doesnt, thats why they are slower.

clocker
02-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Dang...even with the switch I get very few Gromacs...it&#39;s killing me here.

My last Gromac was on Friday I think...since then nothing but little, slow, 400 sized WUs. They take forever....

thewizeard
02-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Yup, it&#39;s tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor for me too.... :)

FlyingDutchman
02-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by clocker@10 February 2004 - 15:56
Dang...even with the switch I get very few Gromacs...it&#39;s killing me here.

My last Gromac was on Friday I think...since then nothing but little, slow, 400 sized WUs. They take forever....

I suppose you missed the announcement on the latest switch.

You should use: -GromacsPrettyPlease

:ph34r: :unsure: :)

Krisman
02-11-2004, 05:40 AM
So whats the largest WU anyones gotten so far.

I just got a 5000 piece unit today.
Image Resized
[img]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Krisman-Folding.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Krisman-Folding.jpg')

Livy
02-12-2004, 12:49 AM
i think the biggest ive had is a 2500, although i dont really notice must, just leave them folding.

also, looks at this, wtf?

Image Resized
[img]http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/teamklf.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/teamklf.jpg')

Krisman
02-12-2004, 01:17 AM
That sucks I checked the team stats and got the same results as you all the stuff done is gone. The units complete seem to have been wiped from the user stats too. Its really weird.

Nothing on the F@H homepage about it either.

I almost always notice the size of the units I get because whenever I leave my computer I open the display and put it full screen.

Livy
02-12-2004, 01:21 AM
yeah, had a look on the folding at home board, some other people have posted probs, but nothing form f@h team

clocker
02-12-2004, 03:09 AM
My last ( and as far as I know, only) Gromac was a 5000.

Livy
02-12-2004, 12:23 PM
we were ranked about 170th last nite, due to a corrupt database and losing all previous WU, the database is offline of maintanaice. but u can still send completed wu and get new ones, its currently 3am in the morning there, so i aint expecting it to be back up soon. Link (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/news.html)

edit: but when it does, make sure all your wu are showing, expecially your most recent ones, from about 6pm(gmt) yesterday.

edit2: i dont think ive had a tinker in weeks on at least 2 of my machines, havent looked at the other one yet. there mostly 500 and 250 ones.

FlyingDutchman
02-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Livy@12 February 2004 - 00:49

Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/teamklf.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/teamklf.jpg)
:-" :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

He hey hey &#33;

I did it &#33;

I&#39;m #1 &#33; ,and kicked Lamsey&#39;s ass :lol:

Lamsey
02-12-2004, 07:59 PM
I should be third when the server comes back online.

Clocker, please keep to the right lane (damn Americans and their back-to-fornt roads :P ). I&#39;ll be zooming past you soon :devil:

Livy
02-12-2004, 11:44 PM
i was just about past the 4000 mark when it went offline. i should have about 105-110 wu when it comes back, they said about a day, which was about at 3am gmt. i think. so hopefully not long, also make sue ur credited for all your wu you have done, if nto post on the folding board and u will get creited for them manually.

clocker
02-13-2004, 12:43 AM
I think I&#39;ll just pause my hard earned little weeny WU until the server comes back up.
If I&#39;m gonna get stuck with these damn Tinker units at least I want credit for them.

Lamsey...last I looked I was still 1000 points ahead of you.
I believe that I can mosey along in this lane for a while longer before you are inconvenienced. :P

Livy
02-13-2004, 12:55 AM
SERVER BACK ONLINE< :D

Lamsey
02-13-2004, 01:00 AM
3rd :D

Livy
02-13-2004, 01:13 AM
and ive got over 4100 points. :) and were coming up to 700th place now, and also 1000 wu&#39;s

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-14-2004, 01:59 AM
i also joined up with this folding thing last night. i have our team number as 34905. is that correct?

Lamsey
02-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@14 February 2004 - 00:59
i also joined up with this folding thing last night. i have our team number as 34905. is that correct?
http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/yes.gif

Livy
02-14-2004, 01:44 PM
if anyone has probslems using the -forceSSE command with amd processors, there is a beta gromacs core which fixes the problem. it will be automatically distributed soon if you dont want to use a beta core.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/beta-core/

to install, download the new core. close folding@home, and put the new core in the f@h folder, then run f@h again and it will use the new core for gromacs WU&#39;s

FlyingDutchman
02-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Livy@14 February 2004 - 13:44
if anyone has probslems using the -forceSSE command with amd processors, there is a beta gromacs core which fixes the problem. it will be automatically distributed soon if you dont want to use a beta core.

to install, download the new core. close folding@home, and put the new core in the f@h folder, then run f@h again and it will use the new core for gromacs WU&#39;s
Thanks Livy &#33;

Good info :)

kAb
02-15-2004, 09:39 PM
woohoo&#33; finally done with my first WU&#33;

71 points :)

:clap:

FlyingDutchman
02-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Welcome to the stats-page kAb :rolleyes:

We&#39;ll have a hard time catching this guy

Image Resized
[img]http://www.bijlard.demon.nl/pics2/bigdawgfoxx.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.bijlard.demon.nl/pics2/bigdawgfoxx.gif')

:blink: :blink: 12 CPUs &#33; :unsure: :helpsmile:

Livy
02-16-2004, 12:40 AM
:o hope not, or he&#39;ll be whipping my ass next, ill have another cpu on in next few days hopefully, amd k6-2 500,

lynx
02-16-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Livy@14 February 2004 - 12:44

Thanks for that, I&#39;ll try it when I&#39;ve reinstalled XP (AGAIN, damn NIS crap).

And I&#39;ll try it on linux tonight. :lol:

Edit: it&#39;s a total lemon, locked up my linux system almost immediately.

Lamsey
02-16-2004, 11:23 AM
Image Resized
[img]http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/evilteam.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/evilteam.gif')

:ph34r:

thewizeard
02-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@16 February 2004 - 11:23
Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/evilteam.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/evilteam.gif)

:o Oh oh...but not for long... :lol:

We are going to the top&#33;

Livy
02-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@16 February 2004 - 11:23
Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/evilteam.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/evilteam.gif)

i noticed that earlier too. but i just went back to bed. :D

kAb
02-18-2004, 02:36 AM
argh wtf my work unit started over :angry:

Livy
02-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by kAb@18 February 2004 - 02:36
argh wtf my work unit started over :angry:
you either missed the deadline or it crashed.

edit: the new core is now downloaded by default.

lynx
02-24-2004, 01:23 AM
Just a reminder to athlon users - if you are using the advmethods and forceSSE options don&#39;t forget to add these options in the Startup area of your start menu, not just the normal Folding@Home area.

Oh, jai and nigel, if you could just move to one side towards the end of this week I&#39;m likely to be coming through there pretty fast. :lol:

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-24-2004, 02:04 AM
are some peeps using more than one comp to run this on? i sadly only have one. i also got my brother to join up as well

FlyingDutchman
02-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@24 February 2004 - 02:04
are some peeps using more than one comp to run this on? i sadly only have one. i also got my brother to join up as well
Yep :P
At the top of the list on the stats-page you&#39;ll find some cheaters using more than 1 CPU.
Just click on the names on the stats-page to find out.

i also got my brother to join up as well

When you used your own name on that PC as well, you&#39;re a cheater too&#33; :lol:

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-24-2004, 03:28 PM
no, when i got my brother to sign up, he is using his own name, i just got him to use our team number. his name is AudioAlterations. once he finishes his first unit, youll see his name show up. were at 569. I dont think of it as cheating if its working toward a good thing. i like to see the whole team progress. im not that concerned with my own stats. B)

Livy
02-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@24 February 2004 - 15:08
At the top of the list on the stats-page you&#39;ll find some cheaters using more than 1 CPU.
just coz ive got more than one pc doesnt mean im a cheater. :edit: we seem to be slowing down a bit now, we need more folders. :D

i think 7th should put a subcontent on the main page. get more people in. since we are higher ranked mor epeople will be interesed i think.

go team 34905

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-24-2004, 04:16 PM
i just got a WU with 2500 in it&#33; thats a biggie....im at 525/2500 :P
also, will a faster CPU work these out faster? i currently run p4 1.4ghz, and in 2 days ill be running p4 3.2ghz.

Livy
02-24-2004, 05:27 PM
yeah, i think it mainly relies on ghz. so a p43.2 will prob be better than a amd 3200.

ive had a few 5000 WU. :P

edit: inact ive got a 5000 unti now on my laptop.

FlyingDutchman
02-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@24 February 2004 - 16:16
i just got a WU with 2500 in it&#33; thats a biggie....im at 525/2500&nbsp; :P
also, will a faster CPU work these out faster? i currently run p4 1.4ghz, and in 2 days ill be running p4 3.2ghz.

P4s with hyperthreading can use 2 instances of F@H at the same time.

I could provide some links if you need any.

Rocktron
02-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Well i completed my 50th WU and meanwhile my modem resets...
Everytime i start Folding@Home and click the icon to see the animation it crashes.

And i mean every time. I&#39;m using the latest Fah for about a week orso and never had any problems. It runs but i just can&#39;t click the icon anymore...

Any suggestions?

:(

Livy
02-25-2004, 01:48 PM
try updaating your graphics driver,

has it always done this? or just recently?

Rocktron
02-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Livy@25 February 2004 - 14:48

Nothing wrong with my driver.
I happened this morning after my modem resets himself.

If i leave the Icon alone it&#39;s ok. Right-clicking is allowed, left is not.
As long as it&#39;s running it fine by me.
Hoovering over the icon gives all the info i need anyway.

Thanks for your help Ivy. ;)

Spicker
02-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Rocktron+25 February 2004 - 15:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rocktron @ 25 February 2004 - 15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@25 February 2004 - 14:48

Nothing wrong with my driver.
I happened this morning after my modem resets himself.

If i leave the Icon alone it&#39;s ok. Right-clicking is allowed, left is not.
As long as it&#39;s running it fine by me.
Hoovering over the icon gives all the info i need anyway.

Thanks for your help Ivy. ;) [/b][/quote]
same exact things been happening to me&#33; :angry:

but as lon as its working im happy :rolleyes:

dam i think im stuk at 11th place <_<

Spicker
02-27-2004, 12:24 AM
maybe if we had our own FAH 34905 team site like overclockers team does more ppl will join ;) but i suk at making sites

the only "OK" site i made is www.amdragging.tk

and im trying to get this sig but dynamic sigz arent allowed :angry:
Image Resized
http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/fah%20sig.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>
<a href='http://gfx.statgfx.com/old/folding.cgi?&username=jaigandhi5&trans=yes&template=fah_original&.jpg]http://gfx.statgfx.com/old/folding.cgi?&us...h_original&.jpg (http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/fah%20sig.JPG' target='image'>[img)

thewizeard
02-29-2004, 02:41 PM
:o Watch out Clocker...Lamsey is breathing on your heels.... :)

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-29-2004, 11:33 PM
i need links on how to run more instances of F@H with hyper threading.

FlyingDutchman
03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@29 February 2004 - 23:33
i need links on how to run more instances of F@H with hyper threading.
It&#39;s Links you want? :huh:

Links you&#39;ll get &#33; :P

Sudhian Forum1 (http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=41&threadid=48784)

Sudhian Forum2 (http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=41&threadid=46341)

Sudhian Forum3 (http://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm?catid=41&threadid=46188)

ABXZone (http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43513)

[H]-1 (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=726809)

[H]-2 (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=712785)

Overclockers Hyperthreading Help (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174579)

Thread on Installer by Overclockers (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240052)

Installer here (http://project-2501.net/files/FAH4.Console.Installer.v0.2.exe)

You&#39;ll have to register to access the Overclockers Forum.

Have Fun and Fold On &#33; B)

FlyingDutchman
03-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Just a reminder:

KLF detailed Stats (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overview.php?TeamID=34905)

Best news from that page:

"KLF has NO Threats&#33;"

:rolleyes:

I can see Lamsey in the distance. Now, if I could only get close enough to kick him. <_<

lynx
03-04-2004, 02:56 AM
And now we made the top 500. :D

bulio
03-04-2004, 05:14 PM
wonderful prog, I on it now with k-lite team. I think it is great and will try to 24/7 it as my grand pa has cancer :(

Rocktron
03-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by bulio@4 March 2004 - 18:14
wonderful prog, I on it now with k-lite team. I think it is great and will try to 24/7 it as my grand pa has cancer :(

Sorry to hear that.
That&#39;s why we must do anything we can and find that cure...

lynx
03-05-2004, 11:15 AM
I&#39;m sure more people would sign up for this if they knew about it.

Another group (newz.dk, team number 34688) were moving along at a rate lower than our group, in fact we had passed them. They were getting just under 1000 points per day. But they did something a few days ago and they now have over 800 processors and are now getting just short of 20000 points per day, and rising&#33;

I feel sure that if more of our users knew about Folding@Home they would happily take it up. We need a link ON THE FRONT PAGE - something as simple as that could bring in loads of new participants.

thewizeard
03-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Yes and pin it, back in the lounge...

Livy
03-05-2004, 05:00 PM
perhaps we could see 7th about putting a folding page as a sub-content on the new homepage thingy. :D

Virtualbody1234
03-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Congratulations Livy for 200 work units completed for our team.http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/thmbup.gif

Livy
03-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@5 March 2004 - 21:13
Congratulations Livy for 200 work units completed for our team.http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/thmbup.gif
:D

Lamsey is now 2nd. :o

FlyingDutchman
03-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Livy@7 March 2004 - 22:26

Lamsey is now 2nd.&nbsp; :o
I&#39;m driving Lamsey in your direction Livy.
It won&#39;t be long and we can squeeze him between us, then the serious ass-kicking can begin.
The sucker let us drive him in a &#39;cul de sac&#39; :P

Fold on&#33; B)

NightStalker
03-09-2004, 01:15 AM
Finally. I have joined the team. :D

Livy
03-09-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman+9 March 2004 - 00:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlyingDutchman @ 9 March 2004 - 00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@7 March 2004 - 22:26

Lamsey is now 2nd. :o
I&#39;m driving Lamsey in your direction Livy.
It won&#39;t be long and we can squeeze him between us, then the serious ass-kicking can begin.
The sucker let us drive him in a &#39;cul de sac&#39; :P

Fold on&#33; B) [/b][/quote]
hehe, unfortunately ive had to take the 2ghz celeron of the folding road, as the fan was making funny noises. :huh: ill have a look at it soon hopefully its just dust buildup.

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-10-2004, 01:50 AM
i just finished a Wu with 10,000 in it, but it went fast. weird how the small ones seem to take longer than the biggies.

_John_Lennon_
03-12-2004, 03:12 AM
My main rig just got back online after 2 weeks of repairs.

Let me guess, im in last?

kAb
03-12-2004, 04:38 AM
no, probly me. but i got 4 now&#33; w00t&#33;

FlyingDutchman
03-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Lynx, slow down a bit, will you?

You&#39;re speeding :angry:

lynx
03-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@14 March 2004 - 15:41
Lynx, slow down a bit, will you?

You&#39;re speeding&nbsp; :angry:
I&#39;ll have you by the end of the week. :lol:

Edit: yes I was, and I&#39;ve got a £60 fine and three points on my license to prove it. :(
Damn speed cameras. :angry:

thewizeard
03-15-2004, 02:52 PM
:o Anyone know whats happened?

My folding at home icon has disappeared out of the system tray...now I am not sure how to pause the work ....this happened before after running another program and it only returned after rebooting.....which I might add I do not want to do...yet. In the task manager it appears to be folding merrily away.... :)

lynx
03-15-2004, 03:33 PM
I&#39;ve noticed that F@H does some very strange things with the system tray. If you click on it to see the display it often screws up all the tooltips. I assume it is somehow messing up the handles (what windows uses to identify resources) so you get the tooltip associated to a different prog.

It is probable that when your other prog has closed, it has sent a message to windows asking for it&#39;s icon to be removed from the system tray. But if the handles are messed up it is likely that it has inadvertently asked for a different icon to be removed, in this case the F@H icon. Subsequently, windows notices that the owner of the correct icon has gone away, so windows removes that icon too.

Can&#39;t be sure this is what is happening, but it is a reasonable guess.

No need to reboot, simply stop the task from within task manager then start it again from your start menu (presumably it is in Programs/Startup).

thewizeard
03-15-2004, 03:48 PM
:) Thanks Lynx, your explanation seems plausible, I shall check it out to see if I can make F@H "pausable" again&#33; :lol:

Ps. Good to see you moving up strongly...

thewizeard
03-16-2004, 11:17 AM
I just noticed that there are already 47 KLB members folding&#33; Perhaps it would be a good idea to request a new members group, as it might encourage more members to start folding@home... :)

lynx
03-16-2004, 01:01 PM
What&#39;s going on here? (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?t=34905)

If you look at the 24hr points avge, in most cases it is the weekly points divided by 7. But not always.

Livy: 61=395/6.5
Lamsey: 55=339/6
Dr Spud: 15=72/5
VB1234: 66=397/6
SummerLinda: 20=66/3

I realise that the stats are new and will probably correct themselves once they&#39;ve been going a little longer, but can anyone explain these anomolies?

Livy
03-16-2004, 04:38 PM
if you notice, its the more active members who have the higher number, e.g i have 6.5, lamsey 6 etc, so maybe the stats have more data for us, and since summerlinda may not be as active they onyl have 3 days worth of data?

juts one idea.

yeah, we need more members. more people may be interested, since were past th 500 mark, and should be past th 400 within 4 days. :D

edit: as far as i can see we have 2 threats, p2p-community who are folding pretty fast. http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea...?s=&t=34905&p=6 (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=34905&p=6)

and voz F@H http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea...s=&t=34905&p=11 (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=34905&p=11)

which isnt that much of a threat.

4th gen
03-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Twice now since I&#39;ve been using F@H, it&#39;s crashed taking hours of CPU time with it. The first time I lost about 71% of a work unit, due to a communications error with the server:

"[06:21:45] Completed 355000 out of 500000 steps (71)
[06:33:02] CoreStatus = 1 (1)
[06:33:02] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x1
[06:33:02] Deleting current work unit & continuing...
[06:33:22] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[06:33:24] + Attempting to get work packet
[06:33:24] - Connecting to assignment server
[06:33:27] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[06:33:27] + Could not connect to Assignment Server 2
[06:33:27] + Couldn&#39;t get work instructions.
[06:33:27] - Error: Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry."

Which prompted me to stop using it. I retried it the other day, got one WU completed. My PC crashed again today, and no surprise, F@H lost its WU again:

"[16:33:30] Completed 480000 out of 500000 steps (96)"

lynx
03-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 4th gen@16 March 2004 - 17:22
Twice now since I&#39;ve been using F@H, it&#39;s crashed taking hours of CPU time with it. The first time I lost about 71% of a work unit, due to a communications error with the server:

"[06:21:45] Completed 355000 out of 500000 steps (71)
[06:33:02] CoreStatus = 1 (1)
[06:33:02] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x1
[06:33:02] Deleting current work unit & continuing...
[06:33:22] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[06:33:24] + Attempting to get work packet
[06:33:24] - Connecting to assignment server
[06:33:27] + Could not connect to Assignment Server
[06:33:27] + Could not connect to Assignment Server 2
[06:33:27] + Couldn&#39;t get work instructions.
[06:33:27] - Error: Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry."

Which prompted me to stop using it. I retried it the other day, got one WU completed. My PC crashed again today, and no surprise, F@H lost its WU again:

"[16:33:30] Completed 480000 out of 500000 steps (96)"

The first bit (up to [06:33:02]) indicates some sort of file system error, not a communication error. Basically it could not write the results to the disk, presumably because it thought the file was corrupt. Rather than send bad results back to the source it deleted them.

The next part (up to [06:33:27]) is an attempt to get another WU. First of all it has to connect to an assignment server. This then routes the request to a Work Unit server, but as the error messages suggest it could not even connect to the assignment server.

Both of these events occuring together suggest you have some inherent instability in your system, which is causing the crash. I&#39;m guessing that you are using FAT32 file system. When your system crashes with FAT32, the last part of the file will be lost (just like with Kazaa). So F@H thinks your results are corrupt and discards them (again, like Kazaa downloads).

Suggestions:
Convert to NTFS if you are using FAT32. It won&#39;t cure the crash but it may stop you from losing your work.
Sort out your system instability - I&#39;ve found from experience that raising Vcore slightly (0.025V is usually enough) can cure this problem, even though the system is theoretically running at the correct settings. Watch your temps though.

4th gen
03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. Already on NTFS (all drives), system is not generally instable, crashes are very infrequent.

lynx
03-16-2004, 09:52 PM
It was just a thought.

What sort of crash is it? BSOD, reboot or just freeze?

I used to find that my system would just freeze when running F@H, until I raised Vcore. Other than that it was usually alright, except if it got fairly hot after about an hour of game playing, and then the same thing would happen. Cured that problem too.

4th gen
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by lynx@16 March 2004 - 20:52
It was just a thought.

What sort of crash is it? BSOD, reboot or just freeze?

I used to find that my system would just freeze when running F@H, until I raised Vcore. Other than that it was usually alright, except if it got fairly hot after about an hour of game playing, and then the same thing would happen. Cured that problem too.
Freeze in both F@H cases. It was frozen from when I left uni until I got home (I was checking the PC using VNC in uni)

I don&#39;t really want to up the Vcore, running 46 degrees c at full load at the moment (Athlon 2700+, aluminium HS), I might give it a try if I get more instability problems though, cheers :)

summerlinda
03-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Livy@16 March 2004 - 18:38
...... and since summerlinda may not be as active they onyl have 3 days worth of data?........

Not as active?
Man, I&#39;m folding like crazy, 24/7, I need a break, its exhausting ;)

Livy
03-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by summerlinda+17 March 2004 - 10:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (summerlinda @ 17 March 2004 - 10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Livy@16 March 2004 - 18:38
...... and since summerlinda may not be as active they onyl have 3 days worth of data?........

Not as active?
Man, I&#39;m folding like crazy, 24/7, I need a break, its exhausting ;) [/b][/quote]
i didnt mean like that, i meant me and lamsey have more cpu&#39;s folding, so the server sees us approx 3 times more, if ya get what i mean???

Livy
03-18-2004, 02:54 PM
ive made a post in about of forum, http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=105179 to see if they could put pinned topics in the worlds, and lounge for a week. :D should give more members, since no-one seems to really come in here.

lynx
03-19-2004, 02:04 AM
I&#39;ve come to the conclusion that the new team stats (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_overtake.php?s=&t=34905) are screwed. We&#39;ve just been passed by "p2p_community". But before the new stats there were no threats. And if you look at their individual points they are quite impressive on a daily basis, yet they have zero points for the week.

Since they have the same position in the Stanford lists (which is the source of these stats) I suspect hacking. The top of their group ("Le_PoUnT") supposedly has had 159 active processors in the last week, yet both his daily and weekly points are zero. And he has supposedly performed 842 WU&#39;s on one project, but only 1 on each of another 4 projects. Similar trends can be seen for their number 3 "xlybox".

This is obviously nonsense, yet equally obviously the results have been returned to Stanford otherwise they would not have been credited with the points. The only conclusion is that the same results have been returned time and time again.

If my conclusions are correct, then statistically this dangerously skews the possibilities, not only making those results worthless, but undermining a lot of work done by other people.

I hope I&#39;m wrong.

4th gen
03-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Just got my first 2500 part WU. My other 4 up until now have been 500 parts, so this one is gonna take a long, long time...

Just out of interest, how long (on average) does it take you chaps to complete a 500 part WU, and what CPU have you got? :unsure:

FlyingDutchman
03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 4th gen@19 March 2004 - 07:56
Just got my first 2500 part WU. My other 4 up until now have been 500 parts, so this one is gonna take a long, long time...

Just out of interest, how long (on average) does it take you chaps to complete a 500 part WU, and what CPU have you got? :unsure:

The amount of frames contained in a WU says nothing &#39;bout how long it will take to finish the WU.
You can have a 2500 frames WU finishing faster than a 100 frames WU.
On the Summary page (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) you can look up the WU you are working on; find out how many points that one earns you.
My rig (AMD 2400+) is capable of earning me about 3 points an hour.

All WU&#39;s are benchmarked on a slow PC (Pentium II 500 I think), and points are given to that particular WU according to the outcome.

Fold on B)

Edit:

Just got me this morning a "Protein: p858_p53dimer858"
It&#39;s 160 points worth, and takes 25 minutes to complete a frame
----------&#62; almost 42 hours to complete this WU
----------&#62; 160/42 = 3.84 points per hour&#33;

I want more of these &#33; :rolleyes:

4th gen
03-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@19 March 2004 - 09:36
The amount of frames contained in a WU says nothing &#39;bout how long it will take to finish the WU.
You can have a 2500 frames WU finishing faster than a 100 frames WU.
On the Summary page (http://folding.stanford.edu/psummary.html) you can look up the WU you are working on; find out how many points that one earns you.
My rig (AMD 2400+) is capable of earning me about 3 points an hour.

All WU&#39;s are benchmarked on a slow PC (Pentium II 500 I think), and points are given to that particular WU according to the outcome.

Fold on&nbsp; B)

Edit:

----------&#62;&nbsp; almost 42 hours to complete this WU
----------&#62;&nbsp; 160/42&nbsp; = 3.84&nbsp; points per hour&#33;

I want more of these &#33;&nbsp; :rolleyes:
Funnily enough, that&#39;s exactly the same one I&#39;ve got... :o
Currently got 525/2500 done, taken just over 9 hours of CPU time
edit: Athlon 2700

thewizeard
03-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Those were the days....

Image Resized
[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/nigel123-inthebegin.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://server6.uploadit.org/files/nigel123-inthebegin.jpg')

FlyingDutchman
03-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by nigel123@20 March 2004 - 18:57
Those were the days....

Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://server6.uploadit.org/files/nigel123-inthebegin.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/nigel123-inthebegin.jpg)

Nigel, look at it this way:

In those days you had 7% of the points the leader had,
now you have 26% of the points the leader has.

You ARE making progress :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fold On B)

lynx
03-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by FlyingDutchman@19 March 2004 - 09:36
----------&#62; almost 42 hours to complete this WU
----------&#62; 160/42 = 3.84 points per hour&#33;

I want more of these &#33; :rolleyes:
I&#39;ve got that one on my main pc, and P859 on my XP1700. That one is going to take about 56 hours, so there won&#39;t be any changes to my stats for a couple of days. :(

On the up side, a friend is going to GIVE me a dual Athlon mobo and processors (1 Ghz I think), then I will really be able to raise some dust.

Btw, anyone got any info on ocing dual processor systems? :lol:

FlyingDutchman
03-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Ok Lynx,

I see you in the rearview mirror now, and assume you see me too.

http://www.bijlard.demon.nl/bb/12FollowMe.gif

That&#39;s close enough, keep your distance please&#33;

Livy
03-21-2004, 03:29 AM
kinda got started on a page for the team, i knwo theres nothign really on it, but what about the layout etc? and also what you would like on the page.

http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/folding/

lynx
03-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Livy@21 March 2004 - 02:29
kinda got started on a page for the team, i knwo theres nothign really on it, but what about the layout etc? and also what you would like on the page.

http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/folding/
OK as a start.

I think it would be better to give a link to the F@H downloads page (http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html) for downloads rather than host it. That way it will always provide a link to the latest version, and provide the versions for linux and Mac too.

Spell and grammar check on the about page might be useful. :-"

Livy
03-21-2004, 12:37 PM
i&#39;ll add a link to the download page for people running other versions, i just put that up as somehting to put on the page the now.

i know the spelling a bit dodgy the now, i done it at about 12.30 last night.

4th gen
03-22-2004, 04:17 PM
I had to format my comp the other day so I lost that big juicy WU :(

Livy
03-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by 4th gen@22 March 2004 - 16:17
I had to format my comp the other day so I lost that big juicy WU :(
bummer. i dont think ive lost any WU so far anyway.

ive also just added another machine, a amd k6-2 500, with 256mb ram. running a little each day. running the genome@home, which is now just folding WU without a deadline, since its a slow machine, and not on alot.

Spicker
03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
im back&#33;

i was gone to india for 2 weeks and couple of dayz.....was fun but got sick and had to get a shot on my butt :angry: :(

well now im back to my 24/7 folding...

lots of things changed....

i saw the new site and stuff...

crazy stuff keep it up guyz :)

lynx
03-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Congrats on the 10000 points, Livy. :beerchug: :clap:

Livy
03-23-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by lynx@23 March 2004 - 20:40
Congrats on the 10000 points, Livy. :beerchug: :clap:
:D i also got 320 points for 2 wu&#39;s :D so one was pretty hefty.

NightStalker
03-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Here are two signatures I made...

http://kdp.57host.biz/night/folding.gif

http://kdp.57host.biz/night/foldsmall.gif

thewizeard
03-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Well done Livy&#33; :)

Livy
03-25-2004, 01:11 PM
as far as ui can see we have 1 more threat, the voz f@h team, who are on ranked about 520 and will pass us in 11 days. :(

also has anyone else got any WU that use the new core79 (double gromacs) ive not long finished one, 935 and on another, 934 it uses sse2 commands and this is a celeron machine which has sse2 which may be why?

edit: i think all core79 WU are all 93x

edit2: im also working on WU 858 which is a 2500, and is taking about 45min per percent, its huge, buts its worth 160 point. :D

lynx
03-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Livy@25 March 2004 - 12:11
edit2: im also working on WU 858 which is a 2500, and is taking about 45min per percent, its huge, buts its worth 160 point. :D
What processor is that on?

I&#39;m running 2 of those atm, it takes about 23 mins per % on my XP2500 (oc&#39;d to XP3200) and about 35 mins per % on my XP1700 (not oc&#39;d).

@FlyingDutchman: Better get ready to move to one side, don&#39;t want you ending up as roadkill. :lol:

thewizeard
03-25-2004, 11:38 PM
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;38&#93; Folding@home Gromacs Core
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;38&#93; Version 1.56 &#40;February 2, 2004&#41;
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;38&#93;
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;38&#93; Preparing to commence simulation
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;38&#93; - Looking at optimizations...
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;38&#93; - Created dyn
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;38&#93; - Files status OK
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;40&#93; - Expanded 388311 -&#62; 1861229 &#40;decompressed 479.3 percent&#41;
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;40&#93; - Starting from initial work packet
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;40&#93;
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;40&#93; Project&#58; 858 &#40;Run 361, Clone 6, Gen 1&#41;
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;40&#93;
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;40&#93; Assembly optimizations on if available.
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;40&#93; Entering M.D.
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;47&#93; Protein&#58; p858_p53dimer858
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;47&#93;
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;47&#93; Writing local files
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;48&#93; Extra SSE boost OK.
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;48&#93; Writing local files
&#91;20&#58;59&#58;50&#93; Completed 0 out of 2500000 steps &nbsp;&#40;0&#41;
&#91;21&#58;01&#58;47&#93; + Paused
&#91;21&#58;01&#58;47&#93; Suspending work thread...
&#91;21&#58;02&#58;31&#93; + Working ...
&#91;21&#58;02&#58;31&#93; Resuming work thread...
&#91;21&#58;48&#58;00&#93; Writing local files
&#91;21&#58;48&#58;03&#93; Completed 25000 out of 2500000 steps &nbsp;&#40;1&#41;
&#91;22&#58;04&#58;38&#93; Opening http&#58;//folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=34905...
&#91;22&#58;19&#58;03&#93; Writing local files
&#91;22&#58;19&#58;05&#93; Completed 50000 out of 2500000 steps &nbsp;&#40;2&#41;

I think I am doing one at the moment..

FlyingDutchman
03-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by lynx@25 March 2004 - 22:23
@FlyingDutchman: Better get ready to move to one side, don&#39;t want you ending up as roadkill. :lol:

Damned speeding roarwarrior :angry: :angry:

http://www.bijlard.demon.nl/bb/23.gif