PDA

View Full Version : To Clarify A Few Rumors

7thElement
01-25-2004, 11:46 AM
I received a few PM's from members stating that others think that we are trying to convert the KL Board members to the SG project.

To clarify the situation:

The KL Board has nothing to do with any new projects. We made the mistake to ask a few members here if they want to test our beta version but it seems that many people are pissed cause they didn't make it into the beta program or other reasons.

Here are the facts:

I am runing more than just one website because I live from that. VB asked me if I want to continue his work because he is very busy. I agreed cause I run 12 own dedicated servers in the "Everyones Internet Network Center" and it doesn't hurt me at all to host this board.

The point that I am not getting is that people seem to think that we are trying to get members from here to the other board. It makes no sense at all cause the reason starting another board is that Invisionboard cannot handle more that X users online at once.

To end all rumors: The KL Board will stay as it is. It has nothing to do with SG or the SG board because it makes no sense to merge boards if IB cannot handle additional traffic.

The idea was to reward members of this board by allowing them to be a part of the new project but it looks like many people are pissed for some reason.

The new sharing tool is nothing special (for now) but there are already many many users which use the same network (WinMX, Napster (old), XNap, Teknap, SunshineUN and many more). Since there are already many users we don't need members from this board cause there is a big userbase already.

If you think that we try to get members from here then try to think realistic and you will see that it makes no sense to move members around cause I host all the projects anyway. What's the difference if people post here or there - there is none.

It's really getting annoying to have smartasses trying to start rumors cause it's plain stupid and makes no sense at all.

The only thing that could happen is that a few people from the other board come here cause I linked this board due the high knowledge of our members here.

7th's 2 cents

tralalala
01-25-2004, 12:22 PM
well said 7th...
this so called "awarding" members with this "holy" testing of the SG Beta, is basically like "awarding" members to be moderators... isnt it?

so everyone, just be thankful that we have such a good admin who is working very hard to keep us all satisfied... (thanks 7th!! :))

tralalala

J'Pol
01-25-2004, 12:53 PM
If anyone is suggesting that you are trying to get people to join another board it does indeed make little sense.

Particularly as you have not posted a link to this other board, or indeed asked anyone to have a look at it, far less become a member.

If however you are happy for people to see this other board and what type of content it has, could you possible post detail, or better still a link. I would rather like to see what it is about, particularly if there are current members from here already posting there.

As to beta testing being some form of reward. That is also difficult to see. Someone doing unpaid work and risking the health of their computer is hardly a reward. Chaps do it out of interest and as a way to help others, however it is hardly a reward.

Slainte

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-25-2004, 02:09 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

People are really upset over this?Some of us can not even connect to that new SwapGate thing.

;) So you made a mistake on asking us?Thats ok dude.Some of us have not been back. :P :lol: :P

The Members that are upset can have it.It does not have a SportsWorld even! :D

Virtualbody1234
01-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by J'Pol@25 January 2004 - 06:53
As to beta testing being some form of reward. That is also difficult to see. Someone doing unpaid work and risking the health of their computer is hardly a reward. Chaps do it out of interest and as a way to help others, however it is hardly a reward.
The same can be said about being a moderator.

bulio
01-25-2004, 03:02 PM
If you need the bittorrent forum modded, Ill be happy to mod, I have exp, -I run my own tracker ;)

J'Pol
01-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+25 January 2004 - 15:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 25 January 2004 - 15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@25 January 2004 - 06:53
The same can be said about being a moderator. [/b][/quote]
I was going to say that as well actually, however it sounded a bit creepy so I didn&#39;t.

D&#39;oh

Benno
01-25-2004, 03:17 PM
What SwpGate board? :unsure:

If you need the bittorrent forum modded, Ill be happy to mod, I have exp, -I run my own tracker

Illuminati
01-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by tralalala@25 January 2004 - 13:22
well said 7th...
this so called "awarding" members with this "holy" testing of the SG Beta, is basically like "awarding" members to be moderators... isnt it?
The thing about it is that testing SwapGate isn&#39;t really the bliss that&#39;s perceived - You&#39;re required to install & use software which can (and does) cause frustrating problems, you need to check in on the board regular for this that and the other (e.g. tester codes to access the program), you&#39;re needed to help find the bugs so when it goes perfect bugs aren&#39;t as much a problem, and everyone&#39;s required to keep schtum on practically everything and behave with others.

It could be seen as a reward to loyalty, that view&#39;s logical - But it&#39;s a case of rewarding effort on the board with more work.

I&#39;ve said it before and I&#39;ll say it again - Anyone who isn&#39;t a beta tester is NOT missing much ;)

internet.news
01-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Never thought that, but this boark is place to share thoughts & concerns openly.

It is ok if you share your Beta Developement on SG.

I will ever and always stay on this board as long as it is loading fast enough&#33;
And the Board Script of Invision and ther Server are really fast ;)

internet.news
01-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Illuminati+25 January 2004 - 17:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Illuminati @ 25 January 2004 - 17:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@25 January 2004 - 13:22
well said 7th...
The thing about it is that testing SwapGate isn&#39;t really the bliss that&#39;s perceived - You&#39;re required to install & use software which can (and does) cause frustrating problems, you need to check in on the board regular for this that and the other (e.g. tester codes to access the program), you&#39;re needed to help find the bugs so when it goes perfect bugs aren&#39;t as much a problem, and everyone&#39;s required to keep schtum on practically everything and behave with others.

It could be seen as a reward to loyalty, that view&#39;s logical - But it&#39;s a case of rewarding effort on the board with more work.

I&#39;ve said it before and I&#39;ll say it again - Anyone who isn&#39;t a beta tester is NOT missing much ;) [/b][/quote]
So, do you mean I am not loyal enough - yeah, ok, I know I was reacting disrespectful, but you can really trust me.

Illuminati
01-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by internet.news+25 January 2004 - 17:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (internet.news @ 25 January 2004 - 17:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Illuminati@25 January 2004 - 17:03
<!--QuoteBegin-tralalala@25 January 2004 - 13:22
well said 7th...

I&#39;ve said it before and I&#39;ll say it again - Anyone who isn&#39;t a beta tester is NOT missing much ;)
So, do you mean I am not loyal enough - yeah, ok, I know I was reacting disrespectful, but you can really trust me. [/b][/quote]
Where did I say that in the quote above? :huh:

Besides, you know why you were rejected - That was made VERY clear by Lite & others in the Beta Applications thread :rolleyes:

Nimdock
01-25-2004, 09:39 PM
How many users can Invision handle at once?

Nimdock
01-25-2004, 09:40 PM
I&#39;m just asking because I&#39;ve seen invision boards running perfectly well with 1000+ users online at the same time... so I guess you&#39;re planning on something bigger than that.

NightStalker
01-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Nimdock@25 January 2004 - 16:39
I don&#39;t believe there is a limit on how many users Invision Power Bord can hold, however, there may be a set bandwidth limit.

Nimdock
01-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by NightStalker+25 January 2004 - 16:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NightStalker @ 25 January 2004 - 16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nimdock@25 January 2004 - 16:39
I don&#39;t believe there is a limit on how many users Invision Power Bord can hold, however, there may be a set bandwidth limit. [/b][/quote]
Then that would be an issue on the server per sé, not on the software.

I.am
01-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks for posting 7th. Like the phrase goes, It takes all kinds...so does this board. You will find all kinds of people here. Dont get bothered by the few.

Intelligent one&#39;s will find their way through instead of listening absurd rumours.

@Jpaul

anyone is suggesting that you are trying to get people to join another board it does indeed make little sense.

Particularly as you have not posted a link to this other board, or indeed asked anyone to have a look at it, far less become a member.

I hope you aren&#39;t serious of what you said. If he would have posted a link then there could have been a possibility that he was looking for more members from here. As he hasnt even posted a link so hardly any members know about it which confirms that the intention was not the other way.

-
I.am

infamousalbo101
01-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Wow you people crack me up so much its Un-Believe-able

sparsely
01-26-2004, 06:16 AM
yes...
what an odd thread.
umm...thanks for the info...
:blink:

RealitY
01-26-2004, 10:20 AM
:lol: :lol:

7thElement
01-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Nimdock+25 January 2004 - 22:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nimdock @ 25 January 2004 - 22:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by NightStalker@25 January 2004 - 16:59
<!--QuoteBegin-Nimdock@25 January 2004 - 16:39
I don&#39;t believe there is a limit on how many users Invision Power Bord can hold, however, there may be a set bandwidth limit.
Then that would be an issue on the server per sé, not on the software. [/b][/quote]
Invisionboard is a nice board but it comes with many problems. Our current server is a P4 2,4 Ghz with 2 GB RAM and I think that 550 - 600 online visitors would lag the board cause IB is not optimized for large forums.

PHPBB is a better choice. You can run a PHPBB board with over 2000 online users on the same server with 50% load compared to IB with 400 online users.

nanotek
01-26-2004, 06:54 PM
i love those rumors :lol:

Askjeevesbot
01-26-2004, 08:26 PM
well i didn&#39;t get selected but well i guess i didn&#39;t expect to oh well

J'Pol
01-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by I.am@26 January 2004 - 00:48
@Jpaul

anyone is suggesting that you are trying to get people to join another board it does indeed make little sense.

I hope you aren&#39;t serious of what you said. If he would have posted a link then there could have been a possibility that he was looking for more members from here. As he hasnt even posted a link so hardly any members know about it which confirms that the intention was not the other way.

That&#39;s what I said.

It is obvious he is not trying to get people to visit there, as there is no advertising, or link.

I.am
01-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@26 January 2004 - 14:43
That&#39;s what I said.

It is obvious he is not trying to get people to visit there, as there is no advertising, or link.

"Little sense" seemed like it did make some sense as compared to saying it doesn&#39;t make sense at all. (absurd)

I need new glasses for sure :geek:
Anyone knows a cheaper buy for it?

J'Pol
01-27-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by I.am+26 January 2004 - 23:56--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (I.am @ 26 January 2004 - 23:56)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@26 January 2004 - 14:43
That&#39;s what I said.

"Little sense" seemed like it did make some sense as compared to saying it doesn&#39;t make sense at all. (absurd)

Anyone knows a cheaper buy for it? [/b][/quote]
My apologies, the post was not clear to those for whom English is not their first language. Indeed the majority of people for whom it is may have struggled.

Given the context and the syntax of the post it was really just a way of saying no sense. However No Sense is an absolute whereas little sense leaves it slightly open. I rarely deal in absolute truths and as such left the post slightly open.

Bottom line is, I entirely agree with you. Sorry for any confusion, entirely my fault.

I.am
01-27-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@26 January 2004 - 19:00
Given the context and the syntax of the post it was really just a way of saying no sense. However No Sense is an absolute whereas little sense leaves it slightly open. I rarely deal in absolute truths and as such left the post slightly open.

Bottom line is, I entirely agree with you. Sorry for any confusion, entirely my fault.
Your philosophies make it more clear now :) No need to apologize nothing is under scrutiny. Perhaps, I misinterpreted.

Illuminati
01-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+27 January 2004 - 03:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol @ 27 January 2004 - 03:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by I.am@26 January 2004 - 23:56
<!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@26 January 2004 - 14:43
That&#39;s what I said.

Anyone knows a cheaper buy for it?
My apologies, the post was not clear to those for whom English is not their first language. Indeed the majority of people for whom it is may have struggled.

Bottom line is, I entirely agree with you. Sorry for any confusion, entirely my fault. [/b][/quote]
Heh - Well it is known fact that many from the USA don&#39;t understand British irony and satire :lol:, but that&#39;s for another time in another place ;)