PDA

View Full Version : User Informations: Ip Addresses

james_bond_rulez
01-26-2004, 12:36 AM
whenever we post the forum marks our ip address in our posts and only admins/mods can see it.

I'd like to know there are any other records that can be used to id users on this forum besides ips in our posts.

server logs? and is it deleted? or archived on a periodic basis?

shn
01-26-2004, 01:26 AM
I only use vpn connections off campus. The ip I have would be one of a vpn server that I use from a few other states ;)

However I do use http proxies from time to time but none that are transparent.http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/3/dont.gif

Vargas
01-26-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@26 January 2004 - 00:36
whenever we post the forum marks our ip address in our posts and only admins/mods can see it.

I'd like to know there are any other records that can be used to id users on this forum besides ips in our posts.

server logs? and is it deleted? or archived on a periodic basis?
do you allow your browser to load images from 3rd party sites? :ph34r:

james_bond_rulez
01-26-2004, 02:23 AM
let's get back to the topics ppl

i'd like to hear replies from the admins since they're the ones maintaining the server logs and archies.

shn
01-26-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@25 January 2004 - 20:23
let's get back to the topics ppl

i'd like to hear replies from the admins since they're the ones maintaining the server logs and archies.
Maybe since your just a "member" like the rest of us they dont have to disclose that.

Become a mod/admin and find out. <_<

Adster
01-26-2004, 11:42 PM
James Bond Rulez is paranoid about IP address he loves them and is obsessed with finding out what ppl know everywhere hes been

he literately sits there all day with net stat on to find out who&#39;s trying to fuck him up

that letter you got from your ISP must have really got to your head.

shn
01-27-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Adster@26 January 2004 - 17:42
James Bond Rulez is paranoid about IP address he loves them and is obsessed with finding out what ppl know everywhere hes been

he literately sits there all day with net stat on to find out who&#39;s trying to fuck him up

:lol: :lol: :lol:

james_bond_rulez
01-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Adster@26 January 2004 - 14:42

:huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

J'Pol
01-27-2004, 02:06 AM
NTL - my ISP use their own proxy servers as a matter of course.

For an entirely different reason from security of the user, but what the heck, it works for me.

I also sometimes use an anonymous proxy (not here, no point) so it is double safe.

Chill and relax, you are doing nothing wrong posting on this forum. Your IP here is of no interest to anyone.

Rat Faced
01-27-2004, 02:22 AM
I&#39;d like to know there are any other records that can be used to id users on this forum besides ips in our posts.

Well, do you answer such posts as:

Where do you come from?

What is your Job?

Whats your Zip/Postcode?

Post your Pic here....

If yes, you can probably be identified..... however I refuse to believe that anyone could then hold the board responsible in that scenario :P

No one has access to the IP address&#39; except Mods/Admin; and has been stated, an IP address is useless by itself as no one is doing anything illegal.

Even posting hashes arent illegal....you are describing a file, not saying where it is.

Everything that we come across that can be used to identify you apart from stupidity in the above type of post (which would only identify you if ou answered them all BTW) is edited as we come across them... eg Posted IP address&#39;, Private FTP&#39;s etc etc... inc any illegal stuff.

This type of editing is as much to protect the members concerned as it is to protect the board. There is nothing in any rule saying you cant post your IP address for example, however i would feel i was letting the members down, and im sure the other Mods/Admin feel the same way, if i left the stuff there for the world to view...

I.am
01-27-2004, 03:10 AM
There is nothing to be paranoid about all this.

However I wanted to point certain things out (not paranoid here just pointing out as many of you will notice too)

We should ban the sigs that display ip address. Ofcourse they are display the client side only but if even one of you know how it works you will agree with me. Each time the image is viewed on a page the php page is visited on the server side. I can dump many things out from the visitor through phpinfo and other things you already know, to a file and keep a record of ip adresses of the people who opened this page. Which in this case is whoever saw the sig on this forum. I doubt if vipersig is doing it but it can be done. There are people here who use private signatures to display client ip. They might do this. So just as a precaution in the filesharing community here we should ban the members or whoever using those sigs to display ip.

They are dumb anyways.

james_bond_rulez
01-27-2004, 03:17 AM
u can ban it with ur firewall if u know how

banning users using it is REALLY dumb

I.am
01-27-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@26 January 2004 - 20:17
u can ban it with ur firewall if u know how

banning users using it is REALLY dumb
I see the biggest paranoid on this forum using something thats not secured for others. What kind of hypocrisy is that?

Ofcourse i have a firewall. I am also aiming at users who are not aware of this thing and that they also might not have a firewall at all.
I believe in some forums its already banned. And while making the sig myself i noticed one of the loopholes so wanted to point them out.

7thElement
01-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Only mods and admins have access to IP information. The webserver logs are disabled due the masses of visitors (many visitors means huge log files which waste space).

I enable another script (if there is a troublemaker) to grab the forwarded for information. This enables me to see a users real IP (if the user is not using more than 255 proxy servers at once).

However, this is not enabled by default and only used if somebody causes troubles and tries to hide his / her identity.

It makes more sense to worry about all the 3rd party signatures which store user information such as IP, browser, screen resolution, OS details and more.

Vargas
01-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by 7thElement@27 January 2004 - 12:36
It makes more sense to worry about all the 3rd party signatures
and avatars and user posted images too, even as tiny as a 1 pixel X 1 pixel gif image leaves your IP and agent info on the hosting server