PDA

View Full Version : Ps2 Repair Guide

Haz
01-26-2004, 10:37 AM
This guide will resolve almost all cases of "Disc Read Errors"
Read through it first a couple times to familiarize yourself with the steps before plunging head first into the guts of your Playstation 2. Note that I did not come up with the procedure to go about fixing your system, I merely followed it for myself at first, then helped others with the same problem. Many of these guides can be found just by googling but I figured why not have one here, I tried to be as descriptive as possible, but if you feel I missed someting let me know :) Also, the pics, not mine, I have no idea where I found em, had them on my harddrive for a while, but they fit, at least you can see what your going to be doing.

Also note that this guide involves alot more than taking apart the PS2 and cleaning the lense, we're going to be adjusting the laser level itself. This guide is for you if you tried cleaning the lense either by using a CD cleaner, or by actually taking it apart and doing it manually, and it didn't work, about 70% of the time the trouble is just a dirty lense, the rest of the time its.....well you'll see, just for the hell of it we're gonna clean the lense as well, just in case you haven't done anything to your PS2 yet.

Before I get into this let me make one thing clear.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I've done this many many times on my own and friends PS2's without a problem but your going to be working with delicate instruments here so there always a chance something will frig up, just don't blame me if it does! Also note that by doing this you'll be voiding your warranty, so if a professional fix is what your after then best to stop now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First before we begin your going to need a few tools to get the job done.

You will need:

1. A Phillips screwdriver.
2. A #0 Phillips screwdriver (for these annoying pint sized screws)
3. A small marker, pen whatever you can use to write on plastic.
4. Some Q-tips or cotton swabs, something to clean the lense with once we get at it.
5. Some game discs to test out, you'll need DVD game disc, a blue PS2 disc, and a black PS1 game disc
6. And finally (but not nessecary) some rubbing alcohol, to get the lense sparkling clean.

Ok, now that thats all out of the way let's get to work.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, first lets open up your PS2.

I shouldn't even have to tell you to make sure everythings removed from the unit, Memory cards, Controllers, Video and Power plugs, all of it has to go, and make sure you don't have a disc in the damn thing.

On the bottom of your PS2 you'll notice 8 rubber square shaped screw covers, (many people don't even know these are screw covers)

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair1.jpg

Pry these out using a butterknife or even your fingers if you can. After your all done with that get started on removing those screws, make sure to note which screws go where since some of them are smaller than the others.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair6.jpg

Ok your all done with the screws , Now we're going to break the warranty seal and totally void your PS2's warranty, so if your having doubts turn back now.

In the back of the console near the power switch is the warranty sticker, go ahead and peel it off. Just like in the pic.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair5.jpg

Now turn your PS2 right side up (flat) facing you and gently pull off the cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it towards you until it clears the disc tray and the controller ports. First thing you'll notice is a metallic ribbon......thing connecting the Power/Eject buttons to the top cover, as well as a small piece of tape holding the ribbon (or wires) in place, remove the tape and lay the cover off to the side, there should just be enough slack from the ribbons to allow you to place the cover down next to the rest of the unit. Or you can just remove the Power/Eject buttons from the cover but they're a bitch to get back in. Don't worry about breaking the ribbon, it's alot stronger than it looks, but be careful all the same, if that breaks then your really really screwed.

Well theres the guts of the PS2, not very impressive is it.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we'll really get into the guts of the PS2 but before that take a sec and clean out any dust or any other crap that might have accumulated on the fan or the board.

Now grab that #0 Phillips screwdriver, if you don't have one use a razor blade or something small enough to turn those itsy bitsy screws you see lined around the disc cover, I originally used a Razor blade to turn the screws, just be careful.

After you get this newest set of screws out make sure you put them in a safe place, they're really hard to see and if you drop one you'll most likely lose it.

With the screws out gently lift the disc cover off and set it aside. Don't worry this is as far down as we're going :)

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair3.jpg

Now, plug in and turn on your PS2, yes yes I know, your thinking I'm totally nuts, but don't worry, your not going to get electrocuted, your not even going to be touching anything inside the unit yet, it's actually very safe, just don't go touching and grabbing everything :) after its plugged in and powered up, eject the disc tray. Now you can turn off and unplug the PS2, but keep the cords and all that close, you'll be "testing" soon.

Well, after all that we haven't even done anything yet, just managed to void your warranty. but now that's all gonna change. You don't even know it but your looking right at the source of all your problems.

Take a look toward the back of your PS2, you see that little white gear that was uncovered when you ejected the disc tray?

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair4.jpg

Well that little bastard you see above is the cause of all your misfortune, we'll get to that little bugger in a second. First whip out the Q-tips and the rubbing alcohol if you have any, wet one of the Q-tips with just a bit of rubbing alcohol, not alot just a drop, and gently, and i mean gently clean the lense, after that grab a fresh Q-tip or swab and dry off the lense and also to just give it a final polish.

Even if the lense is sparkling when you first go to clean it, clean it anyway, chances are it's more filthy than you can imagine.

Now, finally, we fix your Playstation 2.

Remember that white gear? Now we're going to go about adjusting it. What this gear does is it adjusts the distance between 2 things, the laser eye, and the disc surface. When the gear gets out of whack, meaning when the distance between the disc surface and the laser eye gets too far or too close your Playstation will suffer from Disc read errors, or DRE's (man I wish I didn't have to find this stuff out.)

Directly next to the gear you'll see a small metal tab that connects to it, notice how the small metal tab intersects with the gear? thats it's current position.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair7.jpg

Grab that marker or pen, and mark the position where the tab and gear meet, that way you won't lose the gears original position.

Now go ahead and turn the gear a few notches clockwise or counter clockwise, thats up to you. Turn it maybe 2 or 3 clicks then stop.

Now we get to the tedious part of this guide. That 2 or 3 clicks you just did on the gear may or may not have fixed your PS2, only way to find out is testing, grab the discs I mentioned, you should have 1 DVD game, a blue PS2 disc, and finally a PS1 CD.

Now plug your Playstation in to the TV, power it up and all that, replace the disc cover, no need to screw it back in, just hold it down with your thumb, and pop in the DVD disc, if it loads and there isn't a DRE in sight then congrats, but your not done yet. Now try the blue disc, if it loads no DRE then great your almost there, finally if the PS1 CD loads then your in business.

If none of the discs load or some do and some don't, then it's just a matter of finding the right position of the gear, keep moving the gear a few notches more and try again, and try again, and try gain. Sooner or later you'll find the correct setting and your PS2 wil be good as new, sort of, no more warranty but what good was it doing anyway? Remember only move the gear 1-3 notches at a time, any more and chances are you'll whiz right past the setting your looking for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never seen this issue addressed in any other self repair guide, probably because they think people are smart enough to do it on their own, I do too, but there's just one thing to be aware about.

Putting your PS2 back together :'(

If you didn't detach the power and eject buttons from the cover then your in great shape, simply reattach the piece of tape you took off the ribbon. if you did however then you might have a little trouble getting them back in, the easiest way I've found to get the buttons back into the cover is to lie the cover next to the main unit slide the buttons in and secure them with a piece of scotch tape, I use tape because as soon as you try to move the cover back on top of the unit the buttons will be fighting to get back out, so just strap em in and avoid the headache. The rest is textbook.

Well thats all there is to this guide, hope it helped. It really isn't difficult to do, just takes patience if anything at all, hope all goes well if you decide to use this guide, Good Luck! :)

silent VI
01-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Haz@26 January 2004 - 10:37
This guide will resolve almost all cases of "Disc Read Errors"
Read through it first a couple times to familiarize yourself with the steps before plunging head first into the guts of your Playstation 2. Note that I did not come up with the procedure to go about fixing your system, I merely followed it for myself at first, then helped others with the same problem. Many of these guides can be found just by googling but I figured why not have one here, I tried to be as descriptive as possible, but if you feel I missed someting let me know :) Also, the pics, not mine, I have no idea where I found em, had them on my harddrive for a while, but they fit, at least you can see what your going to be doing.

Also note that this guide involves alot more than taking apart the PS2 and cleaning the lense, we're going to be adjusting the laser level itself. This guide is for you if you tried cleaning the lense either by using a CD cleaner, or by actually taking it apart and doing it manually, and it didn't work, about 70% of the time the trouble is just a dirty lense, the rest of the time its.....well you'll see, just for the hell of it we're gonna clean the lense as well, just in case you haven't done anything to your PS2 yet.

Before I get into this let me make one thing clear.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I've done this many many times on my own and friends PS2's without a problem but your going to be working with delicate instruments here so there always a chance something will frig up, just don't blame me if it does! Also note that by doing this you'll be voiding your warranty, so if a professional fix is what your after then best to stop now.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First before we begin your going to need a few tools to get the job done.

You will need:

1. A Phillips screwdriver.
2. A #0 Phillips screwdriver (for these annoying pint sized screws)
3. A small marker, pen whatever you can use to write on plastic.
4. Some Q-tips or cotton swabs, something to clean the lense with once we get at it.
5. Some game discs to test out, you'll need DVD game disc, a blue PS2 disc, and a black PS1 game disc
6. And finally (but not nessecary) some rubbing alcohol, to get the lense sparkling clean.

Ok, now that thats all out of the way let's get to work.

Alright, first lets open up your PS2.

I shouldn't even have to tell you to make sure everythings removed from the unit, Memory cards, Controllers, Video and Power plugs, all of it has to go, and make sure you don't have a disc in the damn thing.

On the bottom of your PS2 you'll notice 8 rubber square shaped screw covers, (many people don't even know these are screw covers)

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair1.jpg

Pry these out using a butterknife or even your fingers if you can. After your all done with that get started on removing those screws, make sure to note which screws go where since some of them are smaller than the others.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair6.jpg

Ok your all done with the screws , Now we're going to break the warranty seal and totally void your PS2's warranty, so if your having doubts turn back now.

In the back of the console near the power switch is the warranty sticker, go ahead and peel it off. Just like in the pic.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair5.jpg

Now turn your PS2 right side up (flat) facing you and gently pull off the cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it towards you until it clears the disc tray and the controller ports. First thing you'll notice is a metallic ribbon......thing connecting the Power/Eject buttons to the top cover, as well as a small piece of tape holding the ribbon (or wires) in place, remove the tape and lay the cover off to the side, there should just be enough slack from the ribbons to allow you to place the cover down next to the rest of the unit. Or you can just remove the Power/Eject buttons from the cover but they're a bitch to get back in. Don't worry about breaking the ribbon, it's alot stronger than it looks, but be careful all the same, if that breaks then your really really screwed.

Well theres the guts of the PS2, not very impressive is it.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair2.jpg

Now we'll really get into the guts of the PS2 but before that take a sec and clean out any dust or any other crap that might have accumulated on the fan or the board.

Now grab that #0 Phillips screwdriver, if you don't have one use a razor blade or something small enough to turn those itsy bitsy screws you see lined around the disc cover, I originally used a Razor blade to turn the screws, just be careful.

After you get this newest set of screws out make sure you put them in a safe place, they're really hard to see and if you drop one you'll most likely lose it.

With the screws out gently lift the disc cover off and set it aside. Don't worry this is as far down as we're going :)

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair3.jpg

Now, plug in and turn on your PS2, yes yes I know, your thinking I'm totally nuts, but don't worry, your not going to get electrocuted, your not even going to be touching anything inside the unit yet, it's actually very safe, just don't go touching and grabbing everything :) after its plugged in and powered up, eject the disc tray. Now you can turn off and unplug the PS2, but keep the cords and all that close, you'll be "testing" soon.

Well, after all that we haven't even done anything yet, just managed to void your warranty. but now that's all gonna change. You don't even know it but your looking right at the source of all your problems.

Take a look toward the back of your PS2, you see that little white gear that was uncovered when you ejected the disc tray?

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair4.jpg

Well that little bastard you see above is the cause of all your misfortune, we'll get to that little bugger in a second. First whip out the Q-tips and the rubbing alcohol if you have any, wet one of the Q-tips with just a bit of rubbing alcohol, not alot just a drop, and gently, and i mean gently clean the lense, after that grab a fresh Q-tip or swab and dry off the lense and also to just give it a final polish.

Even if the lense is sparkling when you first go to clean it, clean it anyway, chances are it's more filthy than you can imagine.

Now, finally, we fix your Playstation 2.

Remember that white gear? Now we're going to go about adjusting it. What this gear does is it adjusts the distance between 2 things, the laser eye, and the disc surface. When the gear gets out of whack, meaning when the distance between the disc surface and the laser eye gets too far or too close your Playstation will suffer from Disc read errors, or DRE's (man I wish I didn't have to find this stuff out.)

Directly next to the gear you'll see a small metal tab that connects to it, notice how the small metal tab intersects with the gear? thats it's current position.

http://freeuploads.co.uk/uploads/ps2repair7.jpg

Grab that marker or pen, and mark the position where the tab and gear meet, that way you won't lose the gears original position.

Now go ahead and turn the gear a few notches clockwise or counter clockwise, thats up to you. Turn it maybe 2 or 3 clicks then stop.

Now we get to the tedious part of this guide. That 2 or 3 clicks you just did on the gear may or may not have fixed your PS2, only way to find out is testing, grab the discs I mentioned, you should have 1 DVD game, a blue PS2 disc, and finally a PS1 CD.

Now plug your Playstation in to the TV, power it up and all that, replace the disc cover, no need to screw it back in, just hold it down with your thumb, and pop in the DVD disc, if it loads and there isn't a DRE in sight then congrats, but your not done yet. Now try the blue disc, if it loads no DRE then great your almost there, finally if the PS1 CD loads then your in business.

If none of the discs load or some do and some don't, then it's just a matter of finding the right position of the gear, keep moving the gear a few notches more and try again, and try again, and try gain. Sooner or later you'll find the correct setting and your PS2 wil be good as new, sort of, no more warranty but what good was it doing anyway? Remember only move the gear 1-3 notches at a time, any more and chances are you'll whiz right past the setting your looking for.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've never seen this issue addressed in any other self repair guide, probably because they think people are smart enough to do it on their own, I do too, but there's just one thing to be aware about.

Putting your PS2 back together :'(

If you didn't detach the power and eject buttons from the cover then your in great shape, simply reattach the piece of tape you took off the ribbon. if you did however then you might have a little trouble getting them back in, the easiest way I've found to get the buttons back into the cover is to lie the cover next to the main unit slide the buttons in and secure them with a piece of scotch tape, I use tape because as soon as you try to move the cover back on top of the unit the buttons will be fighting to get back out, so just strap em in and avoid the headache. The rest is textbook.

Well thats all there is to this guide, hope it helped. It really isn't difficult to do, just takes patience if anything at all, hope all goes well if you decide to use this guide, Good Luck! :)
good guide for the second part, but eventually the ps2 lasers life will die out some of the lasers on the older models are defaulted. but the guide willl keep the ps2 alive longer! and its really easy great post.