PDA

View Full Version : Bad Understanding Of Spam By Some

internet.news
01-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Recently IKE closed my one of topics, cause he thought it is SPAM.

I only wanted to have some nice thoughts on my Offline Board from everyone in oreder not to feel so lonely as I am not online whole the time.

Please, try to understand that. I think some ppl may not really understand what SPAM is. It is advertisements and my posts only is asking ppl in here leaving some nice thoughts on my pc ;)

{I}{K}{E}
01-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Still consider it as spam.

you are asking people to visit your webpage/forum

^^
That is spam !

You can always make a nice pic. with a link to your board. ;)

Rip The Jacker
01-28-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Rule Number 9
9. Sharing your website or forum with other forum members is only allowed within your signature or your profile. This board is not a public noticeboard for you to advertise on. Advertising results in having your URL blocked in our word filters.
Somebody didn&#39;t read the rules. <_<

J'Pol
01-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Somebody also likes to take the Pi55, particularly with their variable use of the English language.

internet.news
01-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by J&#39;Pol@29 January 2004 - 00:09
Somebody also likes to take the Pi55, particularly with their variable use of the English language.
Is this good meant or bad? I don&#39;t charge IKE, as everyone defines SPAMS other.

For me SPAM are commercial advertisements and I don&#39;t love it.

Spindulik
01-29-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by internet.news@28 January 2004 - 18:55

I only wanted to have some nice thoughts on my Offline Board from everyone in oreder not to feel so lonely as I am not online whole the time.

Please, try to understand that. I think some ppl may not really understand what SPAM is. It is advertisements and my posts only is asking ppl in here leaving some nice thoughts on my pc ;)
internet.news , I agree. You and a lot of faithful members here (long timers too) have websites and different places to be proud of and you&#39;d like to share it. That&#39;s what the internet is.

If you want to know what spam is, get a yahoo e-mail account and wait a month. You KNOW what spam is.

But once in a while, to say "hey, I got something good here, check it out". Is fine with me.

To post a something that is exploiting the forum buy trying to sell something or crash the server is spam. And to do it over and over is spam.

This "I made it to 1,000&#33;" is getting old, to me, that is spammish, even though it is a different member announcing it each time. To post a "penguin" topic 3 or more times is spam.

internet.news , I&#39;ll visit your forum. This place is not like it was a year ago. It is getting old. Time to move on in 2004.

Adster
01-29-2004, 12:16 AM
<_< Funny..... i thought spam was posting too much............

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-29-2004, 12:25 AM
*FC taps Fingers on Desk waiting for the first Picture of some Spam.*

:P I know some of you are thinking about doing it. :P

:lol: I know I am. :lol:

Spindulik
01-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@28 January 2004 - 18:58
Still consider it as spam.

you are asking people to visit your webpage/forum

^^
That is spam &#33;

You can always make a nice pic. with a link to your board. ;)

So this is spam....

Hey everyone Click here&#33; It is my website, a fun place to be nice.

And this isn&#39;t....

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nvj6/swk/nice.jpg (http://)

9. Sharing your website or forum with other forum members is only allowed within your signature or your profile. This board is not a public noticeboard for you to advertise on. Advertising results in having your URL blocked in our word filters.

If I were in law school, I&#39;d say the rules didn&#39;t apply to posting your friend&#39;s website, but that&#39;s just my opinion. :angry:

Just because it is a "rule", doesn&#39;t mean it has to be enforced every time. There&#39;s human factor in deciding when to enforce a rule, that&#39;s a given. Again, that&#39;s my opiion. <_<

When a place becomes too strict, it becomes more undesireable, and the riff-raff usually follows.

It is up to the Mods (or Gods) how they want to run this place. And there is a place for everyone. And here isn&#39;t the only one.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
01-29-2004, 12:29 AM
:P Thank God for the new SoulSeek Ticker. :lol:

Adster
01-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@29 January 2004 - 10:29
:P Thank God for the new SoulSeek Ticker. :lol:
:angry: :angry:

DRACOJOE2
01-29-2004, 12:51 AM
I know how it is yall. I had to remove My personal web site from my posts because I have a few music files hosted for free download. Seems to me that if you can post downloads for K lite and all of the rest of the other Copyrighted versions of Kazaa clients seems to ba a little hypocritical to me. Just a thought yall.

J'Pol
01-29-2004, 01:25 AM
There are rules for the board. If you want to be a part of the board you follow them.

If you don&#39;t want to follow them it is cool. As the man said, there are plenty of other places.

It&#39;s no big deal. Just like any club, play by the rules or go elsewhere.

Virtualbody1234
01-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by internet.news@28 January 2004 - 16:55

Would you rather we call them "junk" or "garbage" posts?

internet.news
01-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+29 January 2004 - 02:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 29 January 2004 - 02:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-internet.news@28 January 2004 - 16:55

Would you rather we call them "junk" or "garbage" posts? [/b][/quote]
no it is not, but I think garbage would more meet the point.

Cause SPAM is for me advertisement in mails.

Hey, IKE: HERE IS FORUM&#33;

No, just a joke. ;)

But, j&#39;pol to the rules: yes, you should think when following a rule not striclty follow
each rule. Every rule has a reason. And as ppl who don&#39;t followo rules are also just humans we have to respect them as well also if this is HARD sometimes, and it is indeed. And I am opened here. :rolleyes:

Adster
01-29-2004, 02:15 AM
Blah

Spindulik
01-29-2004, 02:19 AM
@ J&#39;Pol

...As the man said, there are...

Did you mean me, "The Man"? Cool

@ internet.news
Agreed, we are all humans. Let&#39;s try to let it pass, this time, and move on.

@ me
Spin, you&#39;re OK in my book. How about stopping by my websi...

internet.news
01-29-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Spindulik@29 January 2004 - 03:19
@ J&#39;Pol

...As the man said, there are...

Did you mean me, "The Man"? Cool

@ internet.news
Agreed, we are all humans. Let&#39;s try to let it pass, this time, and move on.

@ me
Spin, you&#39;re OK in my book. How about stopping by my websi...
Yes, some ppl are sometimes a little fast while posting, e.g. Funky ;)
:rolleyes:

Rip The Jacker
01-29-2004, 04:18 AM
I actually have no problem with you posting a link to your website/forum internet.news. But in Ike&#39;s decision, your post was spam. Now if you have a problem with his decision, PM him and talk about it. Why do people insist on making these kind of things public? If you have a problem with a member/mod, PM him, don&#39;t start threads like this. <_<

Spindulik
01-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@29 January 2004 - 00:18
I actually have no problem with you posting a link to your website/forum internet.news. But in Ike&#39;s decision, your post was spam. Now if you have a problem with his decision, PM him and talk about it. Why do people insist on making these kind of things public? If you have a problem with a member/mod, PM him, don&#39;t start threads like this. <_<

PM apparently doesn&#39;t work. The mods probably have so many topics that they closed down, they can&#39;t find the time to reply to a PM. And then, when a person&#39;s topic is shut down for no obvisous reason (its like saying SHUT UP), they don&#39;t care about the board anymore and will post a few follow up topics to ensure that they are heard, PM or no PM.

Does this help?

Did you ever see the movie "Green Mile". Did you see the prison guard who was just a bit too strict on the prisoners? You know what I mean....

shn
01-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Quit Advertising

I dont want to go to your site or ya friends site for that matter. And you damn sure dont pay whoevers in charge of running this server anything so you know your wrong for even tryin.

Go here and call it a day pal http://freeadvertising.com/ because its over, done, rifinito, finished, and there is no need to waste thread regarding the matter. :01:

Sparkle1984
01-29-2004, 01:34 PM
I think internet.news does have a point on this. His website is non-commercial.

Yet in the General Filesharing Talk section on this forum, AnonxO have been allowed to spam about their commercial (paid-for) proxy server for the last 3 months now, and they have never been told off.
Why is this?

shn
01-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@29 January 2004 - 07:34
I think internet.news does have a point on this.&nbsp; His website is non-commercial.

Yet in the General Filesharing Talk section on this forum, AnonxO have been allowed to spam about their commercial (paid-for) proxy server for the last 3 months now, and they have never been told off.
Why is this?
Being able to have a link in your sig should be enough. What about the people that dont care to see links to your site posted all over the forum. If I wanted advertisements I would turn my pop up blocker off and surf instead of coming to the forum.

What are pm&#39;s for? Here&#39;s a thought. Gather a list of all your buddies and/or people you know on the board and send them a private message with a link to your site :huh:

As for it being commercial or non-commercial it really doesnt matter because anytime someone clicks a link to your site they are generating traffic and traffic generates revenue. Either way I dont want a part of it. Sigs are there for a reason, for you to express yourself and if advertising or promoting your site is the way you do that then what better way than to just add it in your sig. :smilie4:

That way people like me who could care less can just turn the sigs off here http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=04 :P

Sparkle1984
01-29-2004, 02:20 PM
But you didn&#39;t answer my question - why have AnonxO been allowed to consistently spam the board (General Filesharing Talk) over the past couple of months or so, and not get told off about it? They didn&#39;t do it in their sig, they actually did it on the main posts.

Surely the rules should apply to everyone, or there&#39;s no point in having them at all.

shn
01-29-2004, 02:26 PM
I am in no position to answer that.

I suggest you pm a mod if you wish to further your inquiry.

7thElement
01-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@29 January 2004 - 13:34
I think internet.news does have a point on this.&nbsp; His website is non-commercial.

Why is this?
I&#39;ll have a look into this cause it doesn&#39;t sound right. AnonxO asked me if it is acceptable to "answer user&#39;s questions" and I said it&#39;s ok to answer as long as it is no direct advertising.

I&#39;ll post a note on our team chat and thank you for bringing this issue up.

Marc

CornerPocket
01-29-2004, 04:19 PM
I&#39;ll answer it....

I reviewed your comments and found that they have not advertised as you say. In fact I do see that they have been received well by many members here and have a connection with each other. Yes many posts have been made in relation about the site: questions, suggestions, reported problems, updates, add-ons, changes, etc....but not directly related to "come to us, try us, check us out, etc" as in one post (Dec 03) made by them.

on another point:
I agree with KrackHead, I would have not had an issue with allowing a introduction to a "my website" post. Anything beyond an initial introduction would have been dealt with accordingly, therefore we ask to place within the signature for reference.

I&#39;m not one to ignore PM&#39;s as one has mentioned MOD&#39;s do. So if you have a Q, PM me, I&#39;ll answer if I am online, can&#39;t reply if I&#39;m off now can I? ;)

*Appears 7th posted prior to me

Askjeevesbot
01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
wow im sorry i came late to this thread :frusty:

internet.news
01-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@29 January 2004 - 05:18
I never want to judge, maybe it was wrong to make this public.

I never want to judge about anyone or personaly attack someone as I don&#39;t have the right, too.

tracydani
01-29-2004, 10:12 PM
LOL, that AnonxO stuff is in direct response to members questions about their product. We asked, he answered.

The only other posts were to let us know about new ip&#39;s so we could update and be safe. He can&#39;t very well do that any other way as it is anonymous.

I haven&#39;t seen the other post for internet news, but I belive the biggest problem is probably your history for writing pointless posts. That is most likely what caused the concern. But as far as I know, that has kinda went away for the most part.

Glad people are checking out your site. Good luck on this one :D

TD

Wizard_Mon1
01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
If ike were to ignore your personal advertisement, e.g. this is my forum please come to it, then he wouldn&#39;t be doing his job. IMO he was just being fair treating the content of your post as he would treat it if you where anyother user. the fact that you had good intentions is not really the issue.

internet.news
01-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Wizard_Mon1@29 January 2004 - 23:39
If ike were to ignore your personal advertisement, e.g. this is my forum please come to it, then he wouldn&#39;t be doing his job. IMO he was just being fair treating the content of your post as he would treat it if you where anyother user. the fact that you had good intentions is not really the issue.
It is better than doing nothing. If IKE would have done nothing that would show
me isn&#39;t really concerned about the board. But I think he is concerned about all of us in some ways...

{I}{K}{E}
01-30-2004, 12:37 AM
it&#39;s good to see that you all understand my point. If I didn&#39;t edit &#39;news&#39; post everyone can post his links because when I edit them, they will say: BUT &#39;net&#39;s&#39; TOPIC ??

I will always say SPAM is SPAM only if you post your website to help the people that started the topic (when you have a tutorial/guide on your site etc..)

:chef:

{I}{K}{E}