PDA

View Full Version : System Backup/recovery Software

Rip The Jacker
02-02-2004, 02:08 AM
Well... last night my brother downloaded and opened something that sent my computer down to hell. I couldn't open anything, I would get an error for EVERYTHING I tried to open. I tried Win2000 repair, and I tried re-installing Windows. In the end, nothing worked. I was pissed, I formatted my entire HD and did a clean install of Win2000. And I lost 50% of my stuff because of my damn brother.

Well here is what I'm looking for... a program that will make an image of my entire computer... so I can put that image on a bunch of CD-Rs. And in case something like that happens again, I can restore my entire computer to its working state.

I need one that can restore my computer without Windows. Lets say my computer dies and I can't even boot up Windows. So I could pop in the CD, restart my computer, boot from the CD and restore my computer from there. I know Norton Ghost can do this, but I havn't had much luck with it in the past.

Any good programs that can do all this? :helpsmile:

DWk
02-02-2004, 03:32 AM
I've heard Norton Ghost is very good for this matter.

Before you start doing anything else, I might recommend to you Easy Recovery Pro 6.03 and try to salvage some of the stuff that you had before you formatted. It works most of the time. Has saved me lots of times (and I'm talking 20 gigs+).

Rip The Jacker
02-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Can I recover my data even after formatting and performing a clean install of Windows?

DWk
02-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@1 February 2004 - 21:31
Can I recover my data even after formatting and performing a clean install of Windows?
At least some B)

That's why I'm telling you this - so you can "salvage" some of your stuff :)

Don't get high hopes, but you may recover something :)

Rip The Jacker
02-02-2004, 04:49 AM
I tried Easy Recovery Pro and some other data recovery software, I got nothing back. :(

4th gen
02-02-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@2 February 2004 - 03:49
I tried Easy Recovery Pro and some other data recovery software, I got nothing back. :(
Have you tried EnCase? (get it from eMule)

Rip The Jacker
02-02-2004, 05:19 AM
I just tried EnCase... no luck... :frusty:

Ahhh forget it, my files are gone...

h1
02-02-2004, 05:23 AM
Agreed. EnCase is the shizz. KrackHead, you should reinstall Windows and salvage what you can. Try to limit your computer use though.

Rip The Jacker
02-02-2004, 05:27 AM
I downloaded a demo of EnCase just to see what it was like. I tried to "preview" the stuff on my C: drive. I highlighted my C: drive, and clicked next, then nothing happened. I kept clicking next, nothing would happen. :frusty:

How big is the full version of EnCase? I'm on 56K, eMule is torture for me. :(

@haxor41789
If I was the only person using my computer, nothing like this would happen. It was my idiot brother that screwed everything up.

4th gen
02-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@2 February 2004 - 04:27
How big is the full version of EnCase? I'm on 56K, eMule is torture for me. :(
I don&#39;t have it installed at the moment, I have it on a disc somewhere, but from what I remember it was <3MB

h1
02-02-2004, 05:39 AM
The trial version on www.evidence-eliminator.com is < 400K.

And I&#39;m saying limit your use because the more you use it, the more activity happens, the more data you lose. :)

Rip The Jacker
02-02-2004, 05:50 AM
It links to the site where I got my demo of EnCase... didn&#39;t work for me. I tried to "preview" the stuff on my C: drive. I highlighted my C: drive, and clicked next, then nothing happened. I kept clicking next, nothing would happen.

4th gen
02-02-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by KrackHead2k@2 February 2004 - 04:50
It links to the site where I got my demo of EnCase... didn&#39;t work for me. I tried to "preview" the stuff on my C: drive. I highlighted my C: drive, and clicked next, then nothing happened. I kept clicking next, nothing would happen.
Was the program working? How long did you leave it to "do its thing"?

Manny Roscoe
02-02-2004, 05:53 AM
I know what kinda shit you&#39;re going through dude....I got the very same issue right now... <_<

Xero Grid
02-02-2004, 06:43 AM
These are diskette utilities. Of course, CDs can be made as well. These are FREE, by the way.

HD Clone (http://www.miray.de/download/sat.hdclone.html)
G4U (Ghost for UNIX) (http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/) Supports more than UNIX ;)

-- Xero Grid --