PDA

View Full Version : Security

CoolMac
02-02-2004, 11:33 AM
recently my host got hacked and that made me think i need better security on my pc.
That's why i ask u guys if u know any software that can help with security :D

Note:I have an antivirus up-to date,i don't have a firewall but i got something better in fact.If mt ISP detects an outside user trying to enter my pc it will instantly cut off their services to me,putting me safely,but the question still keeps.

thx,this incident opened my eyes

Samurai
02-02-2004, 11:51 AM
No excuse for not owning a firewall. I'd be damned if I let my ISP monitor my incoming and outgoing traffic (which is essentially what they're doing). They probably know you're using p2p clients as well.

Do yourself a favour and download a firewall... Sygate Personal Firewall Pro is one of the best.

CoolMac
02-02-2004, 12:04 PM
that's not a problem 4 me
first they only monitor incoming traffic,i mean they don't watch the files i download,they just see if any1 tries to enter my pc,which in that case they cut their service and close any bad thing from accesing my pc

MUSLEMAN
02-02-2004, 12:04 PM
if you are behind a router you don't need a firewal, otherwise get sygate pro boss you need it and are not safe at all

Samurai
02-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by CoolMac@2 February 2004 - 11:04
that's not a problem 4 me
first they only monitor incoming traffic,i mean they don't watch the files i download,they just see if any1 tries to enter my pc,which in that case they cut their service and close any bad thing from accesing my pc
So, how the hell are they going to distinguish between files being downloading via p2p clients and someone trying to gain access to your PC? They're both packets of data being transmitted into your PC. Easy. They're monitoring your incoming transmissions.

You're living in a dream world if you think you're safe. I bet you're one of these people who are transmitting the MyDoom worm because you're 'protected' :angry:

CoolMac
02-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Samurai+2 February 2004 - 12:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Samurai @ 2 February 2004 - 12:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CoolMac@2 February 2004 - 11:04
that&#39;s not a problem 4 me
first they only monitor incoming traffic,i mean they don&#39;t watch the files i download,they just see if any1 tries to enter my pc,which in that case they cut their service and close any bad thing from accesing my pc
So, how the hell are they going to distinguish between files being downloading via p2p clients and someone trying to gain access to your PC? They&#39;re both packets of data being transmitted into your PC. Easy. They&#39;re monitoring your incoming transmissions.

You&#39;re living in a dream world if you think you&#39;re safe. I bet you&#39;re one of these people who are transmitting the MyDoom worm because you&#39;re &#39;protected&#39; :angry: [/b][/quote]
hell no&#33;

i keep myself updated,i don&#39;t trust fucking fake emails and people telling u that u are infected with the trojan blah blah blah

4 god sakes i&#39;m no idiot

also if a hacker is just having fun the easyiest way is unplug the cable and that&#39;s it (but this is crap)

Xero Grid
02-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Definately use a Router. Set up a NAT, VPN, ect. If you&#39;re really worried, set up your connection through proxies. Plenty of info on how on this site. but if you&#39;re using XP, the least you can do is keep the XP firewall up. It may be crap compared to others, but some protection is better than none, and it&#39;s not abtrusive. At least it&#39;ll get some kind of upgrade when SP2 come out. :lol:

I&#39;ve found commercial firewalls can get in the way. Easiest way... use a router.

-- Xero Grid --

CoolMac
02-03-2004, 12:09 AM
i think my ISP has 1,cuz i can&#39;r use (4 example) p2p programs like exosee,people can&#39;t see my shared files.

i give up,if my ISP doesn&#39;t have a router please tell me the best firewqall and a good gudie

thanx ;)

peat moss
02-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Check this out for now then look for a better one like zonealarm.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...g/enableicf.asp (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/securing/enableicf.asp)

http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10039884.html

CoolMac
02-03-2004, 02:08 AM
thanx

is there anyway to know if i have a router?

or if my ISP has?

or... whatever

thx again

Java Boy
02-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by CoolMac@2 February 2004 - 13:32
4 god sakes i&#39;m no idiot

Did you say that?...lol
And now you dont know if you have a router?..oh my fooking god~