PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Evo Bios Password Bypass?

ace2003k
02-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi have just inherited a COMPAQ EVO N1015V from my uncle but its got a problem existing on it that he couldnt solve! basically there is a PASSWORD set to the BIOS and i need to bypass it to use the machine, he cannot remember it so im stuck! is there any possible way of bypassing the BIOS password so it can be reset?

thanks for any help given

_John_Lennon_
02-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Who is the maker of the BIOS? Also, what kind of motherboard is it.

Usually, if its a desktop you can just use the Reset CMOS jumper to clear everything.

EDIT: Ahh crap, its a notebook.

Okay, give me a few and let me see what I can find.

Righto, well, I cant seem to find what kind of bios it is, but HP gives a BIOS update method, which should wipe everything clean including the CMOS password, I think.

Of course, you can always take out the battery and leave it unpluged for a month to let the the system run dry so the battery goes out. But its a month if your lucky, might take up to 3 years on some, lol.

Mad Cat
02-02-2004, 09:51 PM
I think that www.tomshardware.com had an article somewhere stating many passwords manufacturers build into BIOSes just incase. I can't find that article, but maybe you'll have more luck.

_John_Lennon_
02-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@2 February 2004 - 16:51
I think that www.tomshardware.com had an article somewhere stating many passwords manufacturers build into BIOSes just incase. I can't find that article, but maybe you'll have more luck.
Yeah, I know a bunch of them, for instance on alot of Phoenix Bios&#39;s if a password is set, you can usually use Phoenix as a password, and it will work, but it depends on the BIOS< and the motherboard manfacturer that is using it.

ace2003k
02-02-2004, 11:20 PM
hi people

thanks for suggestions but my PC mate simply removed the CMOS battery or something for a few minutes and restarted and it worked fine again&#33; now all i need is a complete reinstall of WINDOWS XP coz uncles got all his work shite on here cloggin up the 40GB HD&#33;

im well pleased wid the performance of the laptop-its got a AMD 2000+, 256 DDR, 40gb hd, CD-RW/DVD combo, ATi graphics&#33; not bad for free hey&#33;

thanks again

shane

Livy
02-02-2004, 11:25 PM
nice. i have an evo 1015v too, but mines only athlon 1500, 384mb ram, 20gig and cdrom. :(
although its a very nice machine.

_John_Lennon_
02-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by ace2003k@2 February 2004 - 18:20
hi people

thanks for suggestions but my PC mate simply removed the CMOS battery or something for a few minutes and restarted and it worked fine again&#33; now all i need is a complete reinstall of WINDOWS XP coz uncles got all his work shite on here cloggin up the 40GB HD&#33;

im well pleased wid the performance of the laptop-its got a AMD 2000+, 256 DDR, 40gb hd, CD-RW/DVD combo, ATi graphics&#33; not bad for free hey&#33;

thanks again

shane
Wait wait wait, how did you remove the CMOS battery that easy? I thought this was a laptop.......

Livy
02-02-2004, 11:37 PM
you should be able tpo remove the bottom plate pretty easy with a few screws.

ace2003k
02-03-2004, 05:51 PM
simply just opened a panel on the back and there it was-left it out for bout 5 minutes(thats probly too long) and replaced the CMOS battery and turned it on and it was fine again&#33;

ace