PDA

View Full Version : Shadows 5.8.8

dragon_son
02-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Well i got the new shadows and have been getting lots and lots and i do mean lots of corupted dls
i ran many mem tests and still no errors
hmm went back to 5.8.7 no more corupted dls
hmmm more mem testing
hmmm still no errors went back to 5.8.8 getting corupted dls again
hmm run mem tests again still no errors

I think there is something seriously wrong with 5.8.8 either that or it jsut plain hates my system :angry:

NotoriousBIC
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Shadow's has been known for it's hmmm, 'erratic' versions.

Submit a bug report to him ([email protected]) and use 5.8.7 in the meantime.

dragon_son
02-04-2004, 06:43 PM
this is my bug report :D
id rather not submit one via e-mail i feal that it is useless and unnecessary since i dont actually have a bug report that the program generated itself :huh:

NotoriousBIC
02-04-2004, 06:46 PM
lol, Shadow's is not that professional a program to have bug reports.
Only way he's going to find out is through feedback of users.

dragon_son
02-04-2004, 08:37 PM
actually on 1 occassion i have had the program pop up in a seprate window saying that there was a major error

i copied the message and sent that to them but this time there is no error window so i dont know how telling him i have a problem with out giving details of what it is will help

just though id post it here and see what others had to say about it and if they were having same issue

Mobas
02-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by dragon_son@4 February 2004 - 18:12
Well i got the new shadows and have been getting lots and lots and i do mean lots of corupted dls
i ran many mem tests and still no errors
hmm went back to 5.8.7 no more corupted dls
hmmm more mem testing
hmmm still no errors went back to 5.8.8 getting corupted dls again
hmm run mem tests again still no errors

I think there is something seriously wrong with 5.8.8 either that or it jsut plain hates my system  :angry:
If that is true for most, then with Shadows automatic banning of a user that sends too much bad data.... that would pretty much mean that the shadow clients would eliminate each other until they wouldn't be able to download off of other Shadow users. :blink:

*is glad he switched to Azureus*

dragon_son
02-05-2004, 12:04 PM
well i didnt really like that client so went back to shadows cause i feel its more basic and i dont care to much for all the extras that are in the client you mentioned

well i sent an e-mial kinda telling whats happening hope it helps :huh:

ZaZu
02-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Try ABC (http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/) it contains the Shadows 5.8.7 core ;)

jasonmog
02-05-2004, 08:35 PM
i hope any new ABC versions don't have this buggy shadows in it :P prolly not, especially after revision

wienerschnitzel
02-06-2004, 06:16 AM
Use this one. Its shadows but with added features.

piroritize files in batch torrents
fast resume of already previously started torrents
UPnP support
and auto max uploads

http://aaron2003.myftp.org/upnpclient.html

Java Boy
02-06-2004, 06:22 AM
Shadows sucks...
switch to Azureus and youll never be sorry

mogadishu
02-06-2004, 06:37 AM
abc is the way to go..

dragon_son
02-06-2004, 07:34 AM
bah i refuese to use azrus it take way to much system resources and crashes moe than anyother client that i have tried and that if you can get the damged thing to even start a dl

as for acb i have tried it and i like it but as i said before i dont need all the extras so i give abc to all my friends and family cause they like to have the extras

i havent tried the upnp client one cause i read somewhere that it had a major flaw that could give someone access to you hdd cant rember where though

i just hope its only my box thats having this issue with the 5.8.8 and not everyone

Java Boy
02-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Azureus wont work on low spec comps as it does use a little more resources and its definitely not a client for noobies with all the extra features in it that no other client can or will offer
so beware of this client noobs, its not one to just install and your away, you need to get the latest JRE and CVs files etc

dragon_son
02-06-2004, 08:24 AM
trust me im no noob and my system is not low end but i found having 15 seperate windows from shadows client took less memory than the 900megs that azerus would use when only dling 5 things and like i said before i dont care for all the extra features

but back to the topic

has anyone else had this problem or is it just me if its just me i am gonna do alot more memtests maybe a 3day memtest will find an error but not a 1day memtest

Java Boy
02-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by dragon_son@6 February 2004 - 08:24
trust me im no noob and my system is not low end but i found having 15 seperate windows from shadows client took less memory than the 900megs that azerus would use when only dling 5 things and like i said before i dont care for all the extra features

but back to the topic

has anyone else had this problem or is it just me if its just me i am gonna do alot more memtests maybe a 3day memtest will find an error but not a 1day memtest
well you probably set Azureus up wrong then.At the moment on my computer its using 17000k of ram and thats with 20-30 torrents coming down...Its a very memory intensive program I must admit, Ive found it doesnt run to well on 256MB ram or 512MB for that matter, but others dont seem to have that problem though.With 2GB of ram I can run just about anything...lol

As for shadows, all his releases are betas cause theres always a little bug or glitch whenever a new version is released.Best bet is to hope that gets sorted and wait for the next release...I remember the days when there was a new version of Shadows Experimental coming out every 2 days or so for a while

dragon_son
02-12-2004, 08:16 AM
gahh ok 3 day mem testing still shows no errors and i even tried the one he reccomends and one a friend gave me though i think it was same version

Sill no errors so i came up with a theory

I think that shadows version is somehow keeping track of how much you upload and dl in the new version and if you dl a certain amount of the file before you upload a certain amount in a set time range it will cause the dl to auto corupt to help promote the better seeding of the files

Reason for theory

I only seem to get error when dling something at 150kbs above upload speed no matter what file

however switching back to 5.8.7 no longer causes this to happen

Again this is only theroy and totally unfounded since i dont know what im looking at whne im staring at the source for hours on end and dont know python

but at least i dont need new ram :lol: :lol: :lol:

true_neo
02-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Java Boy@6 February 2004 - 11:15
or 512MB for that matter
I have 512 DDR-RAM and have been usin Azureus for about 10 hours straight now.
The shit it is doing:
* Trying to dl something with an off tracker
* Downloading at 90 % of my total BW in Tomb Raider 2
* Seeding a file with another dude, no peers
* Using the remaining 10 % to download VB6 iso

And it uses
* A whooping 9 MB of Swap File and 3 % CPU when running in BG
* A whooping 17 MB Swap File and 6 % CPU when running in FG

Now thats not what I call too much of a system hog. It uses TONS more to startup and warm up, but once it gets going its smooth.

junkyardking
02-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Abc uses alot lets memory/cpu usage than Shadows or Azureus, because it only uses one process for many torrents while the others create a process for every single torrent....

vegasguy
02-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi,

I will stick with Shadow, I like it the best, Ive downloaded the new version, however I havent tried it yet,

dragon_son
02-15-2004, 09:32 AM
:angry: im mad at shadows versions right now so im testing new clients that ive never tired before

Tackdaddy
02-15-2004, 04:17 PM
i use ABC and it works perfect,i always download at over 100kbps so i suggest to use it.i have never had a prob yet with it.

dragon_son
02-17-2004, 08:40 PM
hmmm i think i figured out what it is

when i set the disk allocation type to normal it errors out

i set it to per allocate and it seems to be ok

i started to get it with 5.8.7 so i knew it couldnt be just the build
i was also experinceing the problem with the abc client

tired it with 25 torrents now at per allocate disk space and it seems to not be erroring out all the time

:frusty:

well hopefully this will fix my problem