:)

DWk
02-05-2004, 11:16 AM
w0ot nice job :)

I still say we need a Linux section :)

4play
02-05-2004, 11:41 AM
still have a few queations shn.

where does it install the operating system to and can i specify another drive if it is mounted in linux?

whats the speed like using xp under vm?

can i use other ntfs drives other than the one the operating system is using if it does ?

shn
02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 4play@5 February 2004 - 05:41
still have a few queations shn.

where does it install the operating system to and can i specify another drive if it is mounted in linux?

whats the speed like using xp under vm?

can i use other ntfs drives other than the one the operating system is using if it does ?
I find it much easier to install any and all programs relating to your virtual machine installed in your home directory. I keep mine in /home/admin/system.files/winXPPro

That way I can delete it in the comfort of my own home directory rather than going other places in the system just to delete it eg. /usr/local/xxxx or whatever. Vmware will know where to install your o.s. in accordance with where your home directory is, but you can specify another folder if you want provided you have the permissions to write to it. But the vmware files itself are scattered throughout the system in different directories just like any other system wide installation. I used webmin to do a search on all vmware files just to see where it installed the system files and its in more than one location. But if you want to remove it all you have to do is uninstall the rpm package and thats it. No dependency issues or anything.

I was suprised at the speed, It actually performs like a regular pc. The vmware on a windows host consumes more memory than the actaul virtual machine inside of it.

Linux is much better and managing memory and the xp pro In mine ran at the speed of what I told it too. 256 megs of ram, nothing more, nothing less.

One thing that suprised me is that the audio and video in the virtual machine was not choppy and it was just like I was watching or listening to it on my host machine.

I dont understand what you mean when you say "use other drives" 4play. :huh:

4play
02-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I would like to be able to read and write to a few of my ntfs partition under linux i was wondering if i ran xp in vmware would i be able to?

and oh yeah very nice guide gonna give this a try. :)

shn
02-05-2004, 09:14 PM
You can "read" your ntfs partitions in linux by getting a widely available ntfs kernel module that will allow you to do that. But write support is not available because its very unstable at the moment.

Heres what I did, and it may sound kinda crazy but this is for internal work only. You wanna make sure that the shares are not able to be accessed through the net since your virtual machine is net enabled if you choose for it to be.

Just share the whole hard drive or ntfs partition. A network share will allow you read and write support and your linux box will only need a samba client to access the shares.

If the partitons are not active then youll have to mount them at boot time. Thats as easy as adding the mount command and options to your /etc/fstab .

Explained in more detail here http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

LSA
02-06-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by DWk@5 February 2004 - 05:16
w0ot nice job :)

I still say we need a Linux section :)
Yeah good job shn!

linux section?
http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/img/smilies/w00tjump.gif

Good idea!

shn
02-06-2004, 03:11 AM
I sent a pm to an admin about 3 weeks ago requesting a linux section but I got no reply. Oh well :P

DWk
02-06-2004, 03:13 AM
Hmmm to an admin? or a mod?

Talk to pol :)

LSA
02-06-2004, 03:24 AM
:tank:

we'll get a linux section!

:gunsmile: :gunsmile:
:lol:

h1
02-06-2004, 06:48 AM
Excellent guide that deserves a pin (in Linuxworld :w00t:), made even better because my name is on it. :D The graphics look like ass though, which was for small filesize.

LINUXWORLD!
:gunsmile::tank::gunsmile:http://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/tuxanim049.gif:gunsmile::tank::gunsmile:

h1
02-07-2004, 03:25 AM
*bump* [Please remove this post once it gets to Linuxworld]

shn
02-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Bump....................for LinuxWorld :P

namzuf9
02-18-2004, 12:56 AM
yaa for linuxworld

A quick question. I have an USB adsl modem that does'nt work under linux (running Mandrake 9). If I was to install vmware and XP could I use the windows drivers for my modem and use it with XP. I'm thinking no but hoping yes!

I'm a complete linux newb so a internet connection is a must for me. I could always buy a router but I'm as broke a f$@k.

shn
02-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by namzuf9@17 February 2004 - 18:56
yaa for linuxworld

A quick question. I have an USB adsl modem that does'nt work under linux (running Mandrake 9). If I was to install vmware and XP could I use the windows drivers for my modem and use it with XP. I'm thinking no but hoping yes!

I'm a complete linux newb so a internet connection is a must for me. I could always buy a router but I'm as broke a f$@k.
Yes it will work :)

bulio
03-23-2004, 01:44 AM
very nice guide. Excellent job :01:

[B][O][T]
05-12-2004, 02:47 PM
:)