PDA

View Full Version : How To Clean Windows Right Click Menu ?

jobauer
02-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi guys,

I think I saw a thread about it on this forum, but now that I need it, I can't find it any more.... And I swear I looked :)

Here's the ?: how to get rid of the software options that appear when you right click on an object in explorer..

Like, I have a new AV -AVG 6.0. So, I don't use my PC Cillin 2002 any more. I just keep it on my C: drive as a backup AV, not running. But it still shows up when I right click on an object... Annoying....

Same problem with this other prog I have, Windows washer 5.0. It's useful, but I don't need it to prompt "a Wash with bleach option" whenever I right-click on sthg...

I looked into both progs' settings but couldn't find anything.. I
I stilll hope sthg can be done about it.

Thx in advance :)

100%
02-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Sometimes you can disable them showing up in the right clik - by going into the actual program and disable "shell integration" feature.
With Registry Cleaner-goto shell extensions and remove those items which annoy you -such as "bleach with...."

Edit:blinderror

dgmortal
02-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@5 February 2004 - 10:19
The Registry way is :
- Click on the start button, click on Run... and type the word "regedit" (without the quotes) in the box that appears to open the registry editor
- Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts"
- Find the extention you wish to edit and click on the "+"-sign to locate the key that says "OpenWithList"
- In the right pane of the registry editor youŽll see a list with the programs in the list, like "paint.exe" or "notepad.exe"
- Simple click on the one you wish to delete and press the delete button on your keyboard
that has nothing to do with the context menu items they wish to remove :huh: .

100%
02-05-2004, 05:55 PM
oops - copied wrong text - dislexia rules

in the registry
you can find the context menu associations
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.....\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\

dgmortal
02-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@5 February 2004 - 10:55
in the registry
you can find the context menu associations
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.....\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\
still not it.......the best way to remove them is to search for the text (such as "Wash with bleach") in the registry and delete what the search finds. the location in the registry for context menu items varies from item to item. ;)

shn
02-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Get tweak ui. It has an option to remove the programs in the right click menu.

Dont screw your registry up trying to fix something as minor as that.

quiksilver_aus
02-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by shn@5 February 2004 - 12:58
Get tweak ui. It has an option to remove the programs in the right click menu.

Dont screw your registry up trying to fix something as minor as that.
i can't seem to find that option. do u mind pointing it out for me?

shn
02-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Sorry, I do mind. Im on another o.s. right now. :)

Just keep checking the tabs and the options. You looked that quick? I just posted the tweak ui suggestion like 10 seconds ago :lol:

quiksilver_aus
02-05-2004, 07:10 PM
actually, i have had tweakui for a while and never saw that option. i think i spent an hour checking every single setting when i first got it and i dont think i ever came across that.

if anyone else has found out how to do this, plmk

h1
02-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Go to 12ghosts.com and download Menu.

shn
02-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by quiksilver_aus@5 February 2004 - 13:10
actually, i have had tweakui for a while and never saw that option. i think i spent an hour checking every single setting when i first got it and i dont think i ever came across that.

if anyone else has found out how to do this, plmk
My bad, I thought you were talking about getting rid of the create "new" right click options where you can deselect what shows up on that menu.

Unfortuantely what your talking about does require an alteration to the windows regisistry.

There is no specific way of doing this besides completely removing every trace of the program in the registry. A quick clean of the reg should do that. Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too. If you choose to still have the program installed and there is no option in the program itself to remove the right click integration then youll just have to keep it unless you want remove the program in its entirety.

quiksilver_aus
02-05-2004, 07:34 PM
ok thanks

i was able to change the options for Winzip and Winrar, but there is still one for a program called hkSFV which doesn't have an option to remove it from the windows shell. at least it's only one entry, where as when winrar was in the menu it took up 4-5 lines.

shn
02-05-2004, 07:39 PM
I always seem to have a problem removing programs in the "send to" section on the right click menu.

Where you right click a file and it gives you the option to send to an email, compressed zip folder, my documents etc. I wish I could completely remove that.

Any suggestions? :huh:

h1
02-05-2004, 07:44 PM
12Ghosts menu does all this for you. :D

DAMMIT! STOP IGNORING ME!!! :lol:

shn
02-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@5 February 2004 - 13:44

:P

Ok, Ill check it out.

Thanks.

quiksilver_aus
02-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@5 February 2004 - 13:44

how did that post get up there?
lol, musta scrolled right past it, i'll check it out, ty

jobauer
02-05-2004, 08:00 PM
HI guys, thx for all this input..

Any more suggestions ?

J/k, haxor41789. :P

I just Dled your prog, I'm going to check that and I'll post the results here.
But I wish I didn't need yet another soft to do the trick

@shn : go to documents and settings/your name/sendto.
Delete what you want out of there and they should no longer appear when you right click.

shn
02-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Done

Thanks ;)

jobauer
02-05-2004, 08:48 PM
haxor41789,

I'm kinda lost now...

Which of the 12ghosts prog can help me with windows context menu ? ...

I see sthg about 12ghost context menu, not windows'...

jobauer
02-05-2004, 09:43 PM
All right, found it....

It doesn't work with PC Cillin shell extension, though :(

So, I'm not sure I'm gonna keep this prog, I find it's a little bit messy. And when you look at all the features, seriously, there's not much that you can't do manually but really need...

Thanks anyway haxor :)

shn
02-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by jobauer@5 February 2004 - 15:43
All right, found it....

It doesn't work with PC Cillin shell extension, though :(

So, I'm not sure I'm gonna keep this prog, I find it's a little bit messy. And when you look at all the features, seriously, there's not much that you can't do manually but really need...

Thanks anyway haxor :)
The little ghost are cute though :P

Im kidding haxor41789 :smilie4:

Works ok for me but I have to find a crack when I get time.

h1
02-06-2004, 03:37 AM
shn, you don't need a crack unless you use one of the 12Ghosts commands like "Open with Notepad," "copy properties to Clipboard," or a custom one.

dgmortal
02-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by shn@5 February 2004 - 12:39
I always seem to have a problem removing programs in the "send to" section on the right click menu. 

Where you right click a file and it gives you the option to send to an email, compressed zip folder, my documents etc.  I wish I could completely remove that.

Any suggestions? :huh:
go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To] and delete the default value. this will completely remove the send to section of the context menu. remember to export the key before you modify the value (for backup purposes).