PDA

View Full Version : Divx On An Old Dvd Player....?

dboucher
02-06-2004, 09:48 AM
hi all,
several years ago i got an LG dvp2310p dvd player. I've been more than happy with it so far, but thought that i would need a new dvd player to access divx files, but just a few mins ago i noticed on the display panel (by looking at it from an angle) of the dvd an option that COULD light up, like dvd or vcd - Divx!! How can i utilise this function? Any pointers in the right direction.....? Ive tried burning a divx file just like a normal file onto a cd-r but it won't recognise it...
Dave.

ck-uk
02-06-2004, 10:52 AM
I havent got a divx player yet,still undecided about one.As far as i know you burn them a normal data,you can then access through a menu/browser funtion thing :)

drjogalog
02-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Maybe the company just use the same LCD panel for a number of different models which they make. Saving money on making a different one for every model. Ive got a sony CD player and that has VCD on the LCD panel but it doesnt play them.

atiVidia
02-06-2004, 06:45 PM
it always lights up whenever it finds a video file
but it wont be able to play it

3RA1N1AC
02-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by dboucher@6 February 2004 - 01:48
hi all,
several years ago i got an LG dvp2310p dvd player. I've been more than happy with it so far, but thought that i would need a new dvd player to access divx files, but just a few mins ago i noticed on the display panel (by looking at it from an angle) of the dvd an option that COULD light up, like dvd or vcd - Divx!! How can i utilise this function? Any pointers in the right direction.....? Ive tried burning a divx file just like a normal file onto a cd-r but it won't recognise it...
Dave.
several years ago there were NO dvd players that played DivX the mpeg-4 format. what you probably have is a Circuit City DIVX/DVD player, or a player that just uses the same display panel as one-- this was a rental format that a retail chain (Circuit City) along with a few manufacturers and a couple other stores were pushing as an alternative to DVD in the late 90s.

the players were able to use both DIVX and DVD discs, but they really wanted people to buy DIVX discs which you'd be able to watch for a few days and then have to pay for more viewing time (which would be verified by dialing in to their servers)... so even if you bought the discs, you didn't really own them. if you look around on eBay, you'll prolly see people dumping Circuit City DIVX discs for mere pennies because they're completely useless now that the rental service has shut down.

anyway-- what we call DivX today stole its name from Circuit City DIVX as a joke. they're totally unrelated to each other.

adamp2p
02-06-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+6 February 2004 - 13:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 6 February 2004 - 13:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dboucher@6 February 2004 - 01:48
hi all,
several years ago i got an LG dvp2310p dvd player. I&#39;ve been more than happy with it so far, but thought that i would need a new dvd player to access divx files, but just a few mins ago i noticed on the display panel (by looking at it from an angle) of the dvd an option that COULD light up, like dvd or vcd - Divx&#33;&#33; How can i utilise this function? Any pointers in the right direction.....? Ive tried burning a divx file just like a normal file onto a cd-r but it won&#39;t recognise it...
Dave.
several years ago there were NO dvd players that played DivX the mpeg-4 format. what you probably have is a Circuit City DIVX/DVD player, or a player that just uses the same display panel as one-- this was a rental format that a retail chain (Circuit City) along with a few manufacturers and a couple other stores were pushing as an alternative to DVD in the late 90s.

the players were able to use both DIVX and DVD discs, but they really wanted people to buy DIVX discs which you&#39;d be able to watch for a few days and then have to pay for more viewing time (which would be verified by dialing in to their servers)... so even if you bought the discs, you didn&#39;t really own them. if you look around on eBay, you&#39;ll prolly see people dumping Circuit City DIVX discs for mere pennies because they&#39;re completely useless now that the rental service has shut down. [/b][/quote]
hmmm..brain...always informing us of something...

thanks ;)

dboucher
02-16-2004, 02:35 AM
hmmmm...interesting... so does anyone actually have a divx capable player...i would&#39;ve thought it would be a hell of a lot easier to just burn a divx file then view it rather than have to stuff around changing it, then burning it on two or so discs...? anyone know how the liteon or european models fair...?

neevakee
02-16-2004, 05:36 AM
yes they make them do a search on ebay for divx dvd and some will come up.

DWk
02-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by neevakee@15 February 2004 - 22:36
yes they make them do a search on ebay for divx dvd and some will come up.
Just be clever enough to find one that also plays XviD as well as DivX