PDA

View Full Version : W32.hllp.kindal@mm

newb sybot
02-06-2004, 12:29 PM
How are you? Thanks for taking the time.

I just found out I had the W32.HLLP.Kindal@mm (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]) virus last week. Followed all the steps... Norton did not detect any file as being infected and I couldn't do step 4.g because I didn't see it (SFCDisable) in regediter. I thought that got I but it just reared it's ugly head.

Should I just delete all the .exe and .scr files in my shared folder or and then try to get rid of it or do you think I would be better off getting rid of the entire folder (I really don't want to do this).

Is there any type of software that does a better job on this virus besides Norton?
Please help since I won't be able to use Kazaa for now because it might spread the virus to others.

If I did manage to get rid of it what's the best way of keeping it off my system?

Thanx Newb :helpsmile:

muchspl2
02-06-2004, 01:35 PM
http://www.grisoft.com dump norton it sucks good luck

[B][O][T]
02-06-2004, 02:01 PM
There's no good virus's :)

btw moving this to softwareworld....

BOT

Xero Grid
02-06-2004, 05:28 PM
I'm sure AVG can take care of that... even the free edition. It's a year old, and if you can't get rid of it with a virus sweep, then the anti-virus sucks!

If you like it, then try AVG 7.0, you won't be sorry.

-- Xero Grid --

newb sybot
02-06-2004, 09:48 PM
thanks for the info especially @muchspl2 for the link.

I only use web based email so the only way I think i could spread it is through Kazaa... so what should I do about the files in my shared folder?

do u think that files besides the .exe and .scr files might be infected.

ck-uk
02-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by newb sybot@6 February 2004 - 20:48
thanks for the info especially @muchspl2 for the link.

I only use web based email so the only way I think i could spread it is through Kazaa... so what should I do about the files in my shared folder?

do u think that files besides the .exe and .scr files might be infected.
If you've got rid of it mate just scan again or that folder and if its ok just leave them. :)

Robert00000
02-06-2004, 10:54 PM
If you know when you downloaded the virus you can use system restore to get rid any changes its made to your sytem plus the virus itself.

Xero Grid
02-07-2004, 04:28 AM
I STRONGLY recommend not using system restore. Any waste of code virus can copy itself to the system restore information folder (of which you can&#39;t get into <_< ) and be in who knows what file, especially when the virus is found and removed by ANY anti-virus. Thsi is why you should disable system restore, restart, clean your system, reboot, scan to be sure (like a detailed complete scan in AVG 7.0) and re-enable system restore. Any virus can be restored if system restore is even simply still running, much less using it to try to get rid of it.

System restore isn&#39;t even needed by most users, unless you&#39;re testing software, especially beta software. Shutting off system restore and shutting off the service will actually make your system run much faster, of course depending on hadware.

-- Xero Grid --

newb sybot
02-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Sorry for such a late reply but I just spent the weekend @ my cabin (getting drunk and running around in the woods is good therapy).

@Xero Grid...done and done...I can&#39;t say thanks enough pm me if you any favours.

Xero Grid
02-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Kay, you&#39;re on my contact list. :D

-- Xero Grid --

Robert00000
02-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Xero Grid@7 February 2004 - 04:28
I STRONGLY recommend not using system restore. Any waste of code virus can copy itself to the system restore information folder (of which you can&#39;t get into&nbsp; <_< ) and be in who knows what file, especially when the virus is found and removed by ANY anti-virus. Thsi is why you should disable system restore, restart, clean your system, reboot, scan to be sure (like a detailed complete scan in AVG 7.0) and re-enable system restore. Any virus can be restored if system restore is even simply still running, much less using it to try to get rid of it.

System restore isn&#39;t even needed by most users, unless you&#39;re testing software, especially beta software. Shutting off system restore and shutting off the service&nbsp; will actually make your system run much faster, of course depending on hadware.

-- Xero Grid --
System Restore is the ideal solution if you can&#39;t get rid of the virus with a virus scanner or your system, has developed other software problems.

It will store the virus within the restore information, but if you go back to before when the virus was downloaded and then deactivate the restore settings it will get rid of the virus from the system and also the restore information of the virus.

You have to be pretty short sighted to completely deactivate system restore when so many problems can occur with your pc, that the only other solution (to system restore) would be a reformat of the hard drive.

In fact if you carried out a survey of all the problems that had developed with the system (software based) that people have been complaining about in this forum, the vast majority of them could be resolved by using system restore. There is far too much ignorance about this very useful feature of windows.

It takes only a few minutes to restore a system and saves hours (in many cases days) of annoyance.

EDIT: System restore gets rid of all files that were downlaoded after the restore date, that can cause harm to your system.

sharedholder
02-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Everyone forget that we have a great removal tool maded by our admin

http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=96763

Xero Grid
02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
System Restore is a good feature, but it&#39;s not perfect. I&#39;ve had situations in which it caused more harm than good, and in another situation it didn&#39;t get rid of the harmful software.
Not everyone needs it. Only the people who can&#39;t fix a simple problem need it. I have yet to run into a situation on XP in which I actually needed system restore. Windows ME, yeah, but it&#39;s incredible unstable in ME as well as the entire OS.

Black Viper&#39;s XP Services Guide (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) says the same thing I did.
ServiceBlack Viper&#39;s Note on System Restore (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#System_Restore_)

-- Xero Grid --

THE DUDE
02-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Robert00000@9 February 2004 - 19:35
...but if you go back to before when the virus was downloaded and then deactivate the restore settings...

How do I &#39;go back&#39; without a souped up Delorian and some plutonium? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I couldn&#39;t resist I &#39;m assuming that there is some way to choose the a date to restore the system to and if it&#39;s before I got a virus.
I&#39;ll give it a try.

Much appreciated. :)