PDA

View Full Version : Printer Sharing On Home Network

Skeptic
02-06-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm having problems sharing my printer on my home network ... I have two printers connected using my wireless router .... both running WinXp Pro

The printer was originally installed on my desktop and I want to share it with my laptop ..

As it recommended on sites like Practicallynetworked.com, I first set up my network ... turning on "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing", TCP/IP (enabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP) and QoS Packet scheduling on both PCs

They are both in the same workgroup .... and can share files well .. both are also able to connect to the Internet through the router ..

To setup the Home network, I ran the network setup wizard on both PCs while the printer was on .... and rebooted both ...

The printer in question - a Compaq IJ 1200 - shows up in Printers and Faxes on both computers .. I can however print from my desktop but get an error everytime I try to print from my laptop ...

The Printer shows up as "Auto Compaq IJ1200 Inkjet Printer On [My Desktop Name]" on my laptop in Printers and Faxes, and is enabled for Sharing on the desktop through:

Printers and Faxes>Compaq IJ1200 Inkjet Printer>Properties>Sharing

I really don't know what else I need to config .... anything on my router? ...
Any thoughts ....

Smurfette
02-06-2004, 10:39 PM
You've probably done this as I don't think it'd show up if you hadn't... actually added the printer on the laptop using the Windows applet?

Skeptic
02-07-2004, 05:14 AM
No .. it showed up automatically after I ran the Network Setup Wizard .... "Auto Compaq IJ1200 Inkjet Printer On [My Desktop Name]"

I assumed I didn't have to install it since it showed up ...

According to the Printers and Faxes>Auto Compaq IJ1200 Inkjet Printer on [My Desktop Name]>Properties>Ports, it is directed to

\\[My Desktop Name]\Printer

Can anyone help?

tesco
02-07-2004, 05:18 AM
umm is the router hooked up directly to the router or to your desktop?

either way try uninstalling the "automatic" printer and install the driver your self. If it is from the router then you will have to install the print server sotware FIRST then the printer or if it is on the desktop choose netowrk printer nad point to your desktop.

Skeptic
02-08-2004, 06:01 PM
The printer is hooked up to the Desktop ...

Mr. Elmo
02-08-2004, 06:24 PM
i think what u got to do is delete that printer in ur laptop and installed it.

backlash
02-08-2004, 10:18 PM
did u set the printer as the default printer on the laptop?

Skeptic
02-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Got it fixed ... deleted the Auto printer and installed the new driver by Connecting to the remote printer using the "Add New printer Wizard"

Thanks for the help ....