PDA

View Full Version : Installing A New Cpu Chip.

DJ X
02-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Yea I know it may be easy for some of you lot but if you don't count the changing on the case, hdd, gfx card and ram this will be my most serious change to my pc and I'm kinda worried about how to go about it.

At the moment I've got a AMD 2000+ and I want to upgrade to a 2500+ Barton.
Now buying the part is not the hard part it's fitting it, I've never attempted to change or remove the CPU ever! so it might be really easy or it might be a bitch.

Can someone help me out or if it's hard point me in the direction of a tutorial?

Thanks in advance!

SciManAl
02-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Fistly I must ask have you ever opened your comp before? do you understand what is inside the case etc? (just to guage where you are...)
Changing CPUs is not very hard firstly lets make sure you have what you need.

Checklist:
CPU
Thermal Paste, i.e. something like Arctic silver etc just to out between your spu and heatsink
Heatsink, new one/old one

if you have the above you are ready

SciManAl
02-07-2004, 12:57 AM
When ready go here
CPU install (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/diy_2-03.html)

DJ X
02-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Yep I'm familer with the inside of a comp and understand what goes where.

I've got the following today

Thermal Paste
Heatsink

And the actual new CPU is getting delivered tommorow morning.

jasonmog
02-07-2004, 12:59 AM
You also need a flathead screwdriver for one side of the heatsink latch. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STAB THE MOTHERBOARD WHEN PRYING THE LATCH OFF. RISK OF SEVERE DAMAGE TO MEMORY CIRCUITS.

1) Unplug CPU fan.
2) Flathead into a little notch on the side of the heatsink latch farthest from the back of the case. It should be the only side with a notch for the tool to fit in. (Some heatsinks may be easier to take off, but I've never dealt with one.) Push down and away from the heatsink to get the latch off the CPU threshold.
3) Pull rest of heatsink off.
4) Lift silver lever by CPU (if you find this difficult, loop thin string or wire and pull it up).
5) Pull CPU out.
6) Dab thin layer of thermal grease on the middle rectangle on top of chip (not the side with pins)
7) Insert CPU by matching the two corners missing a pin each with the two missing holes on the motherboard CPU holder.
8) Push lever down to secure CPU.
9) Like step 2, but in reverse. Put the side without notch on first (sometimes capacitors get in way so be careful)
10) Align other side of latch with the part sticking out of the side of the CPU holder on the other side and use the flathead to pull the latch over and under it, this will secure the heatsink on.
11) Connect CPU fan.

Note: This may get harder if you have some elaborate cooling system, but I doubt you do. If in any way you get confused, email me at [email protected] with a related subject and if you want include pictures for me to further aid you.

bigdawgfoxx
02-07-2004, 01:26 AM
installing the cpu is EXTREMELY easy..the paste is a bit harder though..fallow the instructions on the Artic Silver site.

SciManAl
02-07-2004, 01:40 AM
installing the cpu is EXTREMELY easy..the paste is a bit harder though..fallow the instructions on the Artic Silver site.

True, but first time round be carefull, remember the CPU is a thin piece of silicon and will break very easily... if it doesn't want to fit it won't... (at that point p[ost...)

BILLY-THE-FISH
02-07-2004, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by SciManAl@6 February 2004 - 23:57
When ready go here
CPU install (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/diy_2-03.html)
Just a quick question..

On that picture you linked to, the thermal paste was just left as a blob!
So I assume it gets squished when you push heatsink on?
I thought I read by someone here that you should spread it out a bit!

bigdawgfoxx
02-07-2004, 02:59 AM
ok here are my directions..this gave me awesome temps.

Rub some paste on the Heatsink by putting your hand in a plastic bag, then rub the excess paste off the heatsink.

put a little amount of thermal paste on the CPU core, and spread it out evenly with a credit card. make it a very thin layer.

Smurfette
02-07-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@7 February 2004 - 02:59
ok here are my directions..this gave me awesome temps.

Rub some paste on the Heatsink by putting your hand in a plastic bag, then rub the excess paste off the heatsink.

put a little amount of thermal paste on the CPU core, and spread it out evenly with a credit card.  make it a very thin layer.
Why do you need to put paste on both the heatsink and the core? All that does is put twice as much on. The idea is to make the contact between heatsink and processor die better, not to add a layer between.

@ BILLY-THE-FISH:
THIS PDF DOCUMENT (http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23986.pdf) (found on THIS PAGE (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348%5E1065,00.html)) is a good guide to installing a heatsink to an Athlon CPU.

I would recommend installing the heatsink/fan with the motherboard removed from the case, and on a flat surface. You won't believe the force needed to get that clip engaged and to do it in situ the first time you attempt it is really asking for trouble.
Don't worry about losing face amongst peers who may say, "nah, it's a piece of piss, I can do it in 30 seconds without taking the mobo out!" I myself always take the mobo out to do it cos I don't like the way the mobo flexes on its standoffs when you do it in the case.

_John_Lennon_
02-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette@6 February 2004 - 23:46

Why do you need to put paste on both the heatsink and the core? All that does is put twice as much on. The idea is to make the contact between heatsink and processor die better, not to add a layer between.

smurfette, what exactly do you think your doing when your adding any thermal paste.... Your adding a layer between, no matter how small u think it is, to help give fuller contact between the die and the heatsink. If he wants to put it on both surfaces, which is what I do, then let him do it. Any excess will squish out anyway.

Besdies, I smooth a bit on both ends to help ensure a flat contact surface on both sides to make a perfect heat transfer. Well, as close as perfect as possible.

Smurfette
02-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+7 February 2004 - 05:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 7 February 2004 - 05:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Smurfette@6 February 2004 - 23:46

smurfette, what exactly do you think your doing when your adding any thermal paste.... Your adding a layer between, no matter how small u think it is, to help give fuller contact between the die and the heatsink. If he wants to put it on both surfaces, which is what I do, then let him do it. Any excess will squish out anyway.

Besdies, I smooth a bit on both ends to help ensure a flat contact surface on both sides to make a perfect heat transfer. Well, as close as perfect as possible. [/b][/quote]
I can appreciate what you&#39;re saying, but if that was the case everyone would be putting the shit on with a ladle&#33;
The paste (or tab) is there to take up the miniscule airspace from imperfections between heatsink and die because it&#39;s the air that inhibits the heat transfer. If the die and heatsink could be made with a perfectly matched interface you wouldn&#39;t need compound, but that&#39;s not going to happen until the chip manufacturers build in the cooling solution.

tesco
02-07-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Smurfette+7 February 2004 - 00:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smurfette @ 7 February 2004 - 00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@7 February 2004 - 05:07
<!--QuoteBegin-Smurfette@6 February 2004 - 23:46

Besdies, I smooth a bit on both ends to help ensure a flat contact surface on both sides to make a perfect heat transfer. Well, as close as perfect as possible.
I can appreciate what you&#39;re saying, but if that was the case everyone would be putting the shit on with a ladle&#33;
The paste (or tab) is there to take up the miniscule airspace from imperfections between heatsink and die because it&#39;s the air that inhibits the heat transfer. If the die and heatsink could be made with a perfectly matched interface you wouldn&#39;t need compound, but that&#39;s not going to happen until the chip manufacturers build in the cooling solution. [/b][/quote]
but your are stil adding a layer, no matter how thin it is (yes i understand what thermal compound does) it is adding a layer, a really thin layer, but it is a layer.

atiVidia
02-07-2004, 05:31 AM
since this is the first time u r installing an AMD cpu, i recommend u order a CPU shim so ur chip doesnt crack while ur installing it...

tesco
02-07-2004, 05:32 AM
os that what those things do? i thought they were for newbies who think they would cool their cpus then buy them and realize it goes around the core and not even touch it lol.

atiVidia
02-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@7 February 2004 - 00:32
os that what those things do? i thought they were for newbies who think they would cool their cpus then buy them and realize it goes around the core and not even touch it lol.
the CPU shim brings the level of the CPU outer edge up so that the core doesnt crack:

w/o shim:
________:----:________

with shim:
:--:_____:----:_____:--:

tesco
02-07-2004, 06:05 AM
oh so do you recomend them? if i get more ram or something maybe i will pick one up too, i think i saw them for lie 3 bucks on tigerdirect.ca, is there really any point to it? i mean it wont break right?

SciManAl
02-07-2004, 05:53 PM
They are usually good to have... especially if you have a heavy heatsink etc... it keeps them from rocking too... I would recomend it a few bucks that potentialy save your CPU... plus it can travel up the line with the proccesors... mainly a one fit all cinda deal...

atiVidia
02-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SciManAl@7 February 2004 - 12:53
They are usually good to have... especially if you have a heavy heatsink etc... it keeps them from rocking too... I would recomend it a few bucks that potentialy save your CPU... plus it can travel up the line with the proccesors... mainly a one fit all cinda deal...
so long as the athlon XP line is out, yes, it will fit the aXPs

but once AMD kills the aXP and aMP lines, well...

Cram
02-08-2004, 01:10 AM
Main prob here is thermal paste and AMD dont go, unless you no how to apply the stuff.
If you look at AMD site they recommend the thermal pad, simply because if you get that paste on the back of the CPU board it give&#39;s all sort&#39;s of problems
IE overheating , no boot , BOS and so on, i have been there (chucked XP 2000 in bin after new heatsink fitted no more work until next day mate told me this
clean of thermal grease brussel sprouts and cabbage from bin rescue) and it&#39;s still running perfect today in another PC.
you have not done this before i would recommend you follow the fitting instuctions from this thread but use a pad or if u insist on paste spread with your credit card nice and thin and hope you dont have to use it again.

Good luck

SciManAl
02-08-2004, 01:44 AM
I would side with him, but thermal padds simply don&#39;t transfer heat very well... All in all i hate them, a paste is the best solution with cooling performance in mind...

_John_Lennon_
02-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by SciManAl@7 February 2004 - 20:44
I would side with him, but thermal padds simply don&#39;t transfer heat very well... All in all i hate them, a paste is the best solution with cooling performance in mind...
Dont Transfer Heat Very Well Ehh? Must not get around to use much Akasa ShinEtsu TiM&#39;s.

http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=292028

If im not mistaken they were debating TIM&#39;s against AS3 and 5 in there, very informative topic.

tesco
02-09-2004, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Cram@7 February 2004 - 20:10
(chucked XP 2000 in bin after new heatsink fitted no more work until next day mate told me this
clean of thermal grease brussel sprouts and cabbage from bin rescue)
what did you just say ????? :lol: can understand that AT ALL&#33;

atiVidia
02-09-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+8 February 2004 - 22:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 8 February 2004 - 22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cram@7 February 2004 - 20:10
(chucked XP 2000 in bin after new heatsink fitted no more work until next day mate told me this
clean of thermal grease brussel sprouts and cabbage from bin rescue)
what did you just say ????? :lol: can understand that AT ALL&#33; [/b][/quote]
lol neither can i

btw a good thing to have when installing an AMD chip is an unlocker (altho i have no clue how to install them or where 2 get them from, alot of my friends told me that they beat the pencil trick)

the unlocker is a simple little tab that (i believe) covers a few of the pins on the AMD chip (correct me if im wrong: im not an AMD expert) this basically allows a user to overclock their chip to much higher theoretical levels (lol im sounding like a friggin geek)

since installing a processor seems like such a new concept to you, i suggest that if you want to overclock (dont: you need a decent amount of experience with all the technicalities of the PC [fsb clocks, voltage control, etc.])get one of these tabs. Google is your friend :)

DWk
02-09-2004, 03:43 AM
http://www.upgradingandrepairingpcs.com/videos/index.asp

Just in case you need a little visual :)

ck-uk
02-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Cram@8 February 2004 - 00:10
Main prob here is thermal paste and AMD dont go, unless you no how to apply the stuff.
If you look at AMD site they recommend the thermal pad, simply because if you get that paste on the back of the CPU board it give&#39;s all sort&#39;s of problems
IE overheating , no boot , BOS and so on, i have been there (chucked XP 2000 in bin after new heatsink fitted no more work until next day mate told me this
clean of thermal grease brussel sprouts and cabbage from bin rescue) and it&#39;s still running perfect today in another PC.
you have not done this before i would recommend you follow the fitting instuctions from this thread but use a pad or if u insist on paste spread with your credit card nice and thin and hope you dont have to use it again.

Good luck
Just make the smallest dab in the center on the cpu.You only need the smallest amount,just enough to say theres some there.Putting more on than that is wasting it.

james_bond_rulez
02-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by DWk@8 February 2004 - 18:43

wow thx i just spend 2 hours watching uncle bob teaching me everything i need to know :lol:

DWk
02-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Lol. I&#39;m glad there are things like this, for rookies (well I&#39;m sick of using n0obs) to learn how to do this :)

BILLY-THE-FISH
02-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by DWk@9 February 2004 - 02:43

Wow, Nice site and video&#39;s&#33;
Gonner be Very useful to me when I build mine soon&#33;&#33;
Cheers