PDA

View Full Version : Sprockette

clocker
02-07-2004, 03:16 AM
Well, poor Sprocket has been reborn into her new ( for her at least) smaller case and in the process has been rechristened Sprockette.

It's amazing how so much work can go into a project like this and yet visually things look just about the same.

I still have some detail/finish work to do, but I want to confirm my fan layout before I finalize the wiring harness and I still have a few accessories I want to incorporate.

With any luck though, the major modding is done and all the rest will not require a major stripdown.
If it does, things will get a lot easier however, as I drilled out many of the riveted assemblies and they are now held by screws, so servicing this beast is a lot simpler.

So far the cooling performance is exceptional...but I've said that before so the final verdict will have to wait. I still have some final tinkering to do with my fan placement/orientation and voltage (5v or7v?...hmmm?), but at least the majority of the hard, dirty work should be over.

Right. <_<

Sprockette mini work log... (http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=769177)

bigdawgfoxx
02-07-2004, 03:24 AM
Whyd you put it in a smaller case?

Virtualbody1234
02-07-2004, 03:24 AM
When I go to your "Pictures in clocker2&#39;s "Sprockette" Album" I can see all the thumbnails but the larger pictures don&#39;t work when I click to zoom.

bluedevil
02-07-2004, 03:26 AM
Very nice Clocker. i&#39;ve always enjoyed reading your adventure&#39;s with cooling your case...but can only watch the pics in small the click to zoom doesnt work with me.

but from what i can see i looks stunning

:drool:

kaiweiler
02-07-2004, 03:30 AM
That looks amazing&#33; Very nice indeed
What kind of temps are you hoping to get with that??

clocker
02-07-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@6 February 2004 - 19:24
When I go to your "Pictures in clocker2&#39;s "Sprockette" Album" I can see all the thumbnails but the larger pictures don&#39;t work when I click to zoom.
I don&#39;t understand.
I just went there and clicked on the thumbnails and they zoomed just fine.

Poop.
I spent a bunch of time writing the captions for them too.... :(

clocker
02-07-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by kaiweiler@6 February 2004 - 19:30
That looks amazing&#33; Very nice indeed
What kind of temps are you hoping to get with that??
Thank you.

The actual temps aren&#39;t as important to me as trying to keep the temp steady.
Obviously, the lower the better, but all my previous setups have been extremely sensitive to room ambient.
As soon as my furnace would kick on, the temps would creep up.

That said, I would love to see my temps max out at 33-35C whilst Folding.
So far, over the past few hours, she&#39;s been holding steady at 29C, but the heat hasn&#39;t come on for the evening yet so we&#39;ll have to wait and see.

She is very quiet though, so I could probably kick up the rpm on my radiator fans if I had to...maybe it&#39;s time to make a fan control panel.

kaiweiler
02-07-2004, 04:03 AM
maybe it&#39;s time to make a fan control panel.
lol it never ends with you clocker
really though, that does look amazing, consider yourself an inspiration :beerchug: cheers

tesco
02-07-2004, 06:12 AM
what made you decide to return to watercooling clocker? and what is that video card you are cooling, didnt you say that you had to use some old pci piece card?
oh and what did you put on your power supply cables to make them round and not "frincged" with all of those wires ? is it just black electrical tape or something? im thinking of putting on electrical tape to make it look neater and not have to buy anything, what do you think?

clocker
02-07-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 February 2004 - 22:12
what made you decide to return to watercooling clocker? and what is that video card you are cooling, didnt you say that you had to use some old pci piece card?
oh and what did you put on your power supply cables to make them round and not "frincged" with all of those wires ? is it just black electrical tape or something? im thinking of putting on electrical tape to make it look neater and not have to buy anything, what do you think?
I decided to retry the H2O because it seems to be less sensitive to changes in room ambient temp. There is a heat register right above my case and when the furnace kicked on I used to see my chip temp rise immediately.
With the water rig this doesn&#39;t seem to happen as dramatically.

My pals down at the comp shop loaned me a nVidia MX440 SE till I can get the bucks for a real card. I mounted the heatpipe on it cause the little fan was driving me crazy. When I return the card I&#39;ll just give them the heatpipe as rent. Those guys love nVidia cards and I can see their point...I just put it in and it worked right off the bat, no drivers, no set up, no nuthin...
It probably benches poorly, but it&#39;s a world better than the PCI POS. :lol:

I am just using a few zip-ties on my PSU cables.
The wires aren&#39;t very visible and they stay nice and flexible if they are unwrapped.
The wiring is definitely the biggest pain of the whole project.
If you decide to wrap yours with electrical tape try to do as much as possible with the wires in the postion that they will end up. That way they should be bent the way they need to go. If you are lucky you can find some light guage tape...not so bulky as the typical stuff...that also helps.

atiVidia
02-07-2004, 06:47 AM
:sleeping:

Spicker
02-07-2004, 12:24 PM
good job clocker u have really done it this time&#33; :)

i wish i had the time and MONEY to do this.....i would love to do stuff that you do....
money is factor...(unfortunately) <_<

Virtualbody1234
02-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by clocker@7 February 2004 - 00:44
Those guys love nVidia cards and I can see their point...I just put it in and it worked right off the bat, no drivers, no set up, no nuthin...
Get the drivers here (http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/) and the "benches" will improve.

clocker
02-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234+7 February 2004 - 06:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Virtualbody1234 @ 7 February 2004 - 06:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@7 February 2004 - 00:44
Those guys love nVidia cards and I can see their point...I just put it in and it worked right off the bat, no drivers, no set up, no nuthin...
Get the drivers here (http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/) and the "benches" will improve. [/b][/quote]
Thanks VB, but I already got the new drivers yesterday.
My point about nVidia was that it installed with no probs at all and my Radeon was a bitch to get it to install. I had all sorts of memory address conflicts, etc.

I&#39;m not particularly interested in testing this card...it displays the forum well enough and that&#39;s all I care about...I&#39;m not a gamer, so high end video ain&#39;t my biggest concern.

DWk
02-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by clocker@7 February 2004 - 08:30
Thanks VB, but I already got the new drivers yesterday.
My point about nVidia was that it installed with no probs at all and my Radeon was a bitch to get it to install. I had all sorts of memory address conflicts, etc.

I&#39;m not particularly interested in testing this card...it displays the forum well enough and that&#39;s all I care about...I&#39;m not a gamer, so high end video ain&#39;t my biggest concern.
:rolleyes:

That&#39;s why I loooooooooove nVidia

:01:

_John_Lennon_
02-07-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by clocker@7 February 2004 - 10:30
my Radeon was a bitch to get it to install. I had all sorts of memory address conflicts, etc.

Funny, I never had any of these problems installing my Radeon.

adamp2p
02-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by _John_Lennon_+7 February 2004 - 10:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (_John_Lennon_ @ 7 February 2004 - 10:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@7 February 2004 - 10:30
my Radeon was a bitch to get it to install. I had all sorts of memory address conflicts, etc.

Funny, I never had any of these problems installing my Radeon. [/b][/quote]
No, neither did I. Very very happy with mine. So is the rest of the world, that&#39;s why they are the #1 AGP GFX card company today.

adamp2p
02-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh, but isn&#39;t clockers card a Radeon 8500?

That is hardly a modern graphics card. That is a card from a couple of platforms ago.

DWk
02-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by adamp2p@7 February 2004 - 12:22
Oh, but isn&#39;t clockers card a Radeon 8500?

That is hardly a modern graphics card. That is a card from a couple of platforms ago.
;) He had a 9600

clocker
02-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Beep&#33;
Two wrong answers&#33;

I had a 9000Pro.
Admittedly, not the greatest card in the world, but still, it should install without a big hassle...which it did not.
The Omega drivers finally straightened things out...the ATI drivers just wouldn&#39;t work.

SciManAl
02-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Hmm... Very nice clocker... Right now in my test rig i am running the thermaltake aqaurios 2... you were right to pick WC, it will stay in the middle of all temps... the radiater the room, and the CPU no matter what it will be the average temp for al those... That is the result of the charecteristics of water. Hence it should be very stable...

4 fans in tandemn what cfm you think you are cranking?? i found that somethimes the fans would actually just bog down the other fans... Wondering how yours is doing.

Very nice temps tooo Test rig while overclocked very moseratly gets to 40-45 c but then 30 idle... Course the ambient temps here are 39c hehehe pretty damn hot... my dad needs it that way for something.. :blink: hehehe Very nice clocker keep this up, looking very nice so far.

As for you poeple complaining about money get your but of da computer and get a job... :lol:

Also Clocker, if heat really becomes and issue, I have adapted my system in this way to use the Thermaltake Aqaurios set up... OK, Firstly i have the normal set up, then i have a tree off (tube fork 1 to 3) on the input and have the aqaurios getting some, the other 2 going of to twin dishwacher pumps (had some lieing around.. put them to use...) whi;le they are loud i have a circut that only turns them on and ups the revs as the heat starts to get higher.. it actually has for me helped quite a bit...

bigdawgfoxx
02-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Clocker, why did you take your stuff out of the Thermaltake case and put it into the smaller case?

P.S. New board kinda sucks..it dont even take up the whole screen..grrr

SciManAl
02-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Clocker, why did you take your stuff out of the Thermaltake case and put it into the smaller case?

P.S. New board kinda sucks..it dont even take up the whole screen..grrr

Clocker is expiramenting with smaller cases... Smaller amount of air etc...
He doesn&#39;t like the thermaltake case that much...
And finally why does the board need to take up the whole screen?? As far as photography goews he simply isn&#39;t as close as before... hence it appears smaller, keep inmind that he still has the sme componets...

clocker
02-08-2004, 01:29 AM
SciMan...
There are only two fans on the radiator...the two clear things on either side of the rad are gutted fans that act as spacers to help eliminate the dead spots. Seems to work quite well.

BigDawg...
Al is partially correct, I did want to see how a smaller case would work for me.With water cooling the case airflow is no longer that big an issue.
The other reason is that the Xaser just pissed me off. The design/build quality is absolutely pathetic, far outclassed by this generic cheap case.
Thermaltake spent a lot of energy ( and money, I assume) on features that either didn&#39;t work ( the card slots...AGP and PCI...have this locking device that is supposed to eliminate the retaining screw, but won&#39;t work with the cards that I had) or didn&#39;t make any sense at all ( the lower drive cages are separate and rotated 90 degrees off the case axis, which makes all the wiring very weird).

I made a huge mistake buying it and have learned my lesson.

SciManAl
02-08-2004, 01:40 AM
SciMan...
There are only two fans on the radiator...the two clear things on either side of the rad are gutted fans that act as spacers to help eliminate the dead spots. Seems to work quite well.

cool never thought about that... hmm... i may try that...