PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot

Soma Cruz
02-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi there. I'm not a very computer smart person. Given, I know more than the average person, but not enough to be confident in what I do. So, I seek your help.
I'm going to partition my HDD into 2 20gig partitions. One the first I'm going to have Windows XP Home. The second, a form of Linux. Now, my question is, if I want to switch from XP to Linux, and/or back again, how would I go about doing that? Is there a self explanatory menu during boot up, or some sort of thing I got to do to get it to switch? Thanks in advance for any help given. :)

shn
02-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Install linux after installing windows.

You will get the option to install a bootloader in most distros. Either Grub or lilo.

They present you with a menu screen at bootup which displays a list of your currently installed o.s.'s.

Or you can just skip the bootloader and use a bootdisk floppy. That way if you ever decide to change distros or delete linux then you wont have to do a fixmbr to get back into windows.

peat moss
02-07-2004, 04:42 AM
You'll be able to choose on start up :D hope this is helpful http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue38/veselosky.html