PDA

View Full Version : Suprnova.org Virus

McBickens
02-10-2004, 03:12 AM
When going to the search feature of suprnova.org (novaserach.net, directly), Norton Anti-Virus detects a virus in the Temporary Internet Files Folder, specifically Trojan.Buteverify in the file titled archive[1].jar. The object name is BlackBox.class.

kungartur
02-10-2004, 03:55 AM
yepp,the same for me :angry:

muchspl2
02-10-2004, 04:02 AM
I checked but didn't get anything sept 2 pop up gray box's, I didn't accept them so not sure if that is whats causing it or if its a false positive

Monkeee
02-10-2004, 09:03 AM
i didn't detect it......... either my Peer Gurdian Rejected it or i'm screwed... :o

Paul_NFFC
02-10-2004, 09:23 AM
i got it too :rolleyes:

Image Resized
[img]http://server5.uploadit.org/files/mrneal-norton.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://server5.uploadit.org/files/mrneal-norton.JPG')

james_bond_rulez
02-10-2004, 10:15 AM
did they get hacked or something? reputable site like that dont put in trojans... <_<

james_bond_rulez
02-10-2004, 10:21 AM
omg i got it too :huh:

good thing i had norton... :P

muchspl2
02-10-2004, 11:22 AM
I think its a flase positive
seems to be the norton fanboys that have gotten it
but time will tell I could be wrong

Icey
02-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@10 February 2004 - 11:15
reputable site like that
lmao :lol:

QuaZ
02-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Yes it does install a virus but to catch it u need a good anti-virus i have 2 kaspersky which is about the best one u can get and norton which wont detect half the virus&#39;s that kaspersky will .......the virus is trojan.vs.seeker-based im pretty sure thats it ....honestly im shocked that norton even picked up on the virus....and the virus only accures when u click on search :doctor:

gildan2020
02-10-2004, 05:45 PM
has anyone inform the suprnova guys yet?
is the prob still there?

Blake Holder
02-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by McBickens@10 February 2004 - 03:12
When going to the search feature of suprnova.org (novaserach.net, directly), Norton Anti-Virus detects a virus in the Temporary Internet Files Folder, specifically Trojan.Buteverify in the file titled archive[1].jar. The object name is BlackBox.class.
Here too....Norton found it

kungartur
02-10-2004, 11:20 PM
i think they removed the problem or me just got a trojan installed....
nothing happened this time :huh:

Emdee
02-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Both novasearch and suprnova make explorer crash when I access their web pages after it blocks a popup.

Wonder if this has anything to do with it... :huh:

Mobas
02-11-2004, 01:54 AM
On the Suprnova forums they seem to be talking about the "Trojan.Byteverify" in Novasearch (On this topic its... Buteverify/ We all talking about the same virus?). The Byteverify is mentioned here...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...byteverify.html (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.byteverify.html)

The trojan seems to exploit the vulnerabilities in older versions of microsofts VM. There&#39;s a link... "Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-011"... That seems to mention in detail about this exploit.

If I understand what the Microsoft link says.... Those with Microsoft VM build 3810 and above are safe from this trojan. The trojan is completely blocked. Am I understanding that right? Any comments?

kurse
02-11-2004, 04:44 AM
Hey guys whats up?

I think I got something like this because I am currently downloading a full length film from Supernova.org on Bittorent and the download is going normal until of a sudden it goes into "The blue screen" causing me to restart with CTRL+ALT+DELETE. I dont remember getting a warning about the virus with my virus scanner (AVG). But then again, what if I never even got the virus. I clean my Temporary folders and all that 6 times a day with Panicware Sureclean. I think its more complicated then a virus cause it only happens when I resume my download from Bittorent.

Can someone please help??

Thanks&#33;

muchspl2
02-11-2004, 05:18 AM
don&#39;t think its related
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#freeze

kurse
02-11-2004, 05:22 AM
Hey thanks muchspl2

I really appreciate it&#33; Your da man

kurse
02-11-2004, 07:40 AM
wait a minute...................I downloaded the one for WINDOWS98, now where do I extract these files???

I tried Windows/System
Windows/System32
Windows/Options/Cabs

and there continues to be a blue screen. HELP.

Robert00000
02-15-2004, 02:10 AM
I get the same warnings, but trojan easy to get rid of - just delete internet cache.

look at this link for info on this trojan http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:-wqVF...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 (http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:-wqVFtOOYNoJ:www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html%3Fid%3D72440+BlackBox.class&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)

Monkster
02-15-2004, 03:35 AM
well, I use Mozilla and when I go to Novasearch, it pops up with a download box (u know, the one where it asks whether to open or save the file) and i just click cancel. :D

Mozilla RULEZ&#33;&#33;&#33;

Adster
02-15-2004, 03:57 AM
same thing happened to me only i didn&#39;t alert me Norton&#39;s found 4 of them in a scan&#33;&#33;

and my puter is running so f**cking slow atm

so anyone know what the problems it courses??

DirtyDan
02-15-2004, 04:35 AM
Don&#39;t let what happened to me happen to you. Before you put any javascript on your page that you didn&#39;t write, like a stats tracker, test it out&#33;

A few days ago I put RealTracker on novasearch to replace nedstat, as nedstat had removed NovaSearch from their service. This was the biggest mistake I ever made. It turns out that RealTracker was putting popups and viruses into their tracker code, and the recent slew of viruses and popups from NovaSearch are all due to this tracker.

I&#39;ve removed it now that I know what it is, but it&#39;s too late; because of this incident SuprNova has decided to stop supporting NovaSearch on March 14th. It&#39;s been a good time running NovaSearch, but come March, you guys are on your own. Good luck.

That just in from the novasearch.net site... Heh, bet he&#39;s kicking himself

Adster
02-15-2004, 09:55 AM
that sux now I&#39;m going to have to find things myself and we cant Post links here <_<

Wizzandabe
02-15-2004, 11:12 AM
I get it as well. I thought it was just me. It seems to be comming from the Java, Norton said the infected file, but I scanned it, and it was ok. At leaste its not just me.

Benno
02-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Sloncek denoted on the suprnova board that there will be a search engine

Originally posted by Sloncek

Ok first, some explanation. It is not just the virus thing, but virus was just over the edge. Anyway yes NovaSearch helped us quite alot, but sometimes we felt like it would be easier if it was all in our hands. And the last week was terrible, with the virus. Yes its true SuprNova is too large to be without search engine, but who says there will be none. Guspaz, we appriciate what you have done for us, but we have told you before, this is not permanent. Sorry.

Sloncek

http://www.suprnovaforums.com/index.php?am...ndpost&p=231779 (http://www.suprnovaforums.com/index.php?amp;showtopic=63817&view=findpost&p=231779) <--- you need to register

02-15-2004, 04:38 PM
so is it ok to use novasearch now or what?

i just went there and i got this from PG:
Connection Rejected: 66.79.190.180 - MDsplit 3.2.2.1 (02-15-2004 @ 10:54:35)
Connection Rejected: 66.79.190.180 - MDsplit 3.2.2.1 (02-15-2004 @ 10:54:35)
did this block it or was it just something else?

02-15-2004, 04:54 PM
idont really care novasearch is goin down cause suprnova said they will now have there own search

Benno
02-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Update

SuprNova.org dropping support to NovaSearch.net sloncek @ 15-02-2004 15:00&nbsp;
Many of you have read about it already, when you went to NovaSearch.net and many of you do not actually understand what this means for SuprNova.
Due to the latest events with NovaSearch and SuprNova, we feel like it would be in SuprNova&#39;s best interest, if it had its own search engine and would not relay on somebody else, meaning it would be even better compatibile with SuprNova then NovaSearch has been so far. We are greatful for what NovaSearch (Guspaz) has done for us so far, but we thingk its a next step we need to take. After 15th March, support to NovaSearch will be stopped and a new search engine for SuprNova will come.
What this means for SuprNova users?
You should not feel too much of a change when it happens, but we will see how it goes with time.
Please try to understand this, since we try to do what we think its best for our users.

Sloncek

vegasguy
02-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the update Benno,

DipSet Taliban
02-16-2004, 08:12 PM
oh dip i got it to

Java Boy
02-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Bye Bye Guspaz... :lol: :lol: :lol:
fucking virus hound.... :angry:
Super-sellout :angry:

Bout time this guy had his shit pushed in, glad that his site is no longer going to be supported by Suprnova

Benno
02-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Java Boy@16 February 2004 - 22:50
Bye Bye Guspaz... :lol: :lol: :lol:
fucking virus hound.... :angry:
Super-sellout :angry:

Bout time this guy had his shit pushed in, glad that his site is no longer going to be supported by Suprnova
He did a great job and actually I believe him when he says that this code was from RealTracker

btw dont forget Suprnova has/had a pop up where they advertise a BT client that contains spyware ;)

h121589
02-17-2004, 05:17 AM
im not sure if i get a virus cuz i disabled me virus alert <_<

Java Boy
02-17-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Benno@16 February 2004 - 22:59
He did a great job and actually I believe him when he says that this code was from RealTracker

I believe him too... ;) ;) ;)
And if he was sincere about it, he would of taken the site down till he sorted out what it was...That wouldve of been the sensible and honest thing to do
Did he?..No he didnt and why we all wonder?
Did he keep cashing the checks sent from the advertising company?...you tell me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Suprnova have made requests to the Azureus team to stop distributing the "Suprnova Lister" as it lets you see the Suprnova Mirrors minus the advertising.
You with me so far?
So why couldnt they(Suprnova) request that Guspaz take down Nova-Search till the virus code thing had been sorted out? <_<
They could request that the SuprnovaLister be removed (as its eating at there revenue), but couldnt request that Guspaz remove Nova-search because Suprnova visitors were getting viruses..?
Double standards all around with no thought whatsoever for the consumers :angry:

Good riddence Guspaz :lol:

j4y3m
02-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Off-Topic but does anyone have a link to SupnovaLister?

Java Boy
02-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Its been taken down from the official site cause Suprnova.org cried that it didnt show there advertisements.
Just look through a few threads about Azureus here and ask for someone too send it to you

Benno
02-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Java Boy+17 February 2004 - 05:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Java Boy @ 17 February 2004 - 05:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Benno@16 February 2004 - 22:59

I believe him too... ;) ;) ;)
And if he was sincere about it, he would of taken the site down till he sorted out what it was...That wouldve of been the sensible and honest thing to do
Did he?..No he didnt and why we all wonder?
Did he keep cashing the checks sent from the advertising company?...you tell me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Suprnova have made requests to the Azureus team to stop distributing the "Suprnova Lister" as it lets you see the Suprnova Mirrors minus the advertising.
You with me so far?
So why couldnt they(Suprnova) request that Guspaz take down Nova-Search till the virus code thing had been sorted out? <_<
They could request that the SuprnovaLister be removed (as its eating at there revenue), but couldnt request that Guspaz remove Nova-search because Suprnova visitors were getting viruses..?
Double standards all around with no thought whatsoever for the consumers :angry:

Good riddence Guspaz :lol: [/b][/quote]
I dont know how long the problem existet because I dont get any pop ups at all with opera, so I never noticed it myself.

And what is SuprnovaLister? :huh:

I have never heard of it?

though I agree with what you said anyway :D

Java Boy
02-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Suprnova Lister is a plugin for the Azureus Bit-torrent Client, that lets you view the Suprnova mirrors from within Azureus without launching your Web Browser..
Theres no ads or risk of viruses.
Its not available at sourceforge.net anymore, but feel free to PM me a email address to send it to if anyone wants it

Benno
02-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Java Boy@18 February 2004 - 19:05
but feel free to PM me a email address to send it to if anyone wants it
thanks but I use ABC so no need for it :)

Java Boy
02-18-2004, 10:19 PM
yes, well..
It wont work on ABC,
come to think of it , it wont work on anything but Azureus&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Just kidding mate...lol