PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Download Speed

DWells55
02-18-2004, 05:45 AM
First off, let me say that I use ABC [Yet Another Bittorrent Client] and I use 95% of my ISPs alotted upload bandwidth (256 kilobits). I upload my butt off. But since I have many downloads/uploads going at once, the upload speed to the users connecting to me is slower. Does this mean my downloads will be slower? If so, that really isn't fair. So, how exactly does uploading affect downloading? I have a 3 mbps/256 kbps (DL/UL) cable connection. Even though the uploads are kinda slow, should I still get fast downloads (250+ kilobytes a second)? Or am I completely wrong on the way the BitTorrent up/down load system works (I'm a com[lete n00b to BitTorrent so go easy on me!)

mr. nails
02-18-2004, 08:47 AM
when i'm browsing on the internet i turn my uploads to 3k/s so i am able to browse easier. and i NEVER have seen turning ur uploads down lower ur dl's. so to answer ur question, (and my friends do the same) uploading doesn't affect ur dl'ing as far as we can tell.

Benno
02-18-2004, 03:31 PM
In my experience limiting u/l doesnt really affect your download speed but you always must rember theres not unlimited bandwidth you can only download as fast as other people upload
And when you finished remember to seed

DWells55
02-18-2004, 05:17 PM
So it is the uploading that slows down my network? Oh, I always seed for about an hour, longer if there aren't many seeds. I don't need to worry about getting caught either, I use BitTorrent for Simpsons Seasons that aren't on DVD. By the way, does the MPAA/RIAA/Feds monitor BitTorrent like they do KaZaA?

Switeck
02-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by mr. nails@18 February 2004 - 03:47
when i'm browsing on the internet i turn my uploads to 3k/s so i am able to browse easier. and i NEVER have seen turning ur uploads down lower ur dl's. so to answer ur question, (and my friends do the same) uploading doesn't affect ur dl'ing as far as we can tell.
If you've never seen uploads effect download speeds, then you might as well share at a faster rate then 3 KB/sec... just to be fair to others.

Why wait for hours after you're done downloading a file before you've uploaded just as much when you can upload a lot quicker than you are and not 'lose anything'?

Upload speed only slows download speed when you're trying to upload near or beyond the max speed for your connection.

Vargas
02-18-2004, 05:57 PM
i know for a fact that Nova Torrent (http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/novator/NovaInstaller-v0.3.4.exe) uploads the most to the users that it downloads the most from. and im sure most other clients based on python are the same. so yes the more you upload, the faster you can download.
but you should limit upload speed to ~80% max otherwise it may slow your downloads due to ACKs

DWells55
02-18-2004, 11:46 PM
I fiddled around with the Global Upload Setting in ABC, and my downloads run fastest with my GUS set to 10 KB(ytes)/s.

Switeck
02-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by DWells55@18 February 2004 - 18:46
I fiddled around with the Global Upload Setting in ABC, and my downloads run fastest with my GUS set to 10 KB(ytes)/s.
With BitTorrent's huge overheads, 10 KBytes/sec equates to 100 Kbits/sec upload bandwidth. But where's the remaining 150+ Kbits/sec upload bandwidth going, which is obviously why you're seeing slowdowns past that point?