PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best Bittorrent Client?

DWells55
02-19-2004, 03:56 AM
Well, I'm using ABC, and I'm fairly happy with it. Although I wish there was a help manual... I was wondering if there was a way to set it so as soon as something is done downloading if it could delete the torrent and start downloading another torrent. Anyways, what do you guys like? Is there something better than ABC (it and the official client are the only ones I've tried) that would be worth switching to? I just started using BitTorent a few days ago, so I'd be looking for something not too complicated. What do you suggest?

4th gen
02-19-2004, 03:59 AM
I don't use Bitt any more, but when I did, I liked Azureus

DWells55
02-19-2004, 04:03 AM
Why'd you stop using BitTorrent? :huh:

4th gen
02-19-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@19 February 2004 - 03:03
Why'd you stop using BitTorrent? :huh:
Insecurity mainly. Also a delay in new films/games/music becoming available in comparison to newsgroups.

DWells55
02-19-2004, 05:01 AM
Insecurity? What do you mean? and are those Newsgroups extremely hard to learn for the less tech-savvy people (::cough:: me ::cough::)?

4th gen
02-19-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@19 February 2004 - 04:01
Insecurity? What do you mean? and are those Newsgroups extremely hard to learn for the less tech-savvy people (::cough:: me ::cough::)?
Well, say you're downloading a file with Bitt. The chances are, that file will be copyrighted and you don't have the permission to be downloading/uploading it. That's illegal (in most countries). Now, on Bitt, it only takes one member of law enforcement (e.g. RIAA, MPAA) to be connected to the same torrent file as you to get hundreds, possibly thousands of IPs of people comitting illegal acts in mere seconds. Also, anyone who's 'up to no good' can get your IP equally quickly.

I prefer newsgroups, where the only people who actually know what you're downloading are your ISP (and your usenet service provider if you don't get a sufficient feed from your isp).

Newsgroups aren't that hard to learn, have a look at the link in my sig for more info...:)

DWells55
02-19-2004, 05:39 AM
Yikes! Oh well, I'm using BT for Simpsons Episodes, those are legal, right? Besides, there's on TVAA, right? Right? [Runs around room frantically, praying not to be sued] :lol: Seriously though, I sorta get the newsgroup thing. But, you lost me right about here: :huh:
http://www.slyck.com/pics/divide.jpg
Can you dumb it down a bit for me? Just a month ago I learned there was more to filesharing than KaZaA Lite K++ and moved to WinMX for music. A week ago I leanred about BitTorrent. And just now, I learned about newsgroups. So I'd really appreciate it if you could help me learn about the better methods of file sharing, in this case, NewsGroups.

4th gen
02-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Unless you recorded the Simpsons episodes yourself they're gonna be illegal :lol: (though don't let that stop you ;) )

Have a look here (http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/) for some more info on newsgroups. If that's not enough, I'll try and answer any questions you might have about newsgroups.

NotoriousBIC
02-19-2004, 11:57 AM
You do know that most nntp servers are run by the ISP's themselves 4th gen?

I'm afraid that BT and Newsgroups are hard to compare. First of all Newsgroups aren't true p2p.
Newsgroup posts have an even shorter lifesapn than torrents and for example TV eps are released faster/sooner on Bittorrent.

However movies and games are indeed released very fast on newsgroups and since the servers are mostly in your ISP own network, you'll have good speeds too.

I still use a combination of BT, IRC, Newsgroups and DC.

Wizard_Mon1
02-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 4th gen@19 February 2004 - 05:43
Unless you recorded the Simpsons episodes yourself they're gonna be illegal :lol: (though don't let that stop you ;) )

Have a look here (http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/) for some more info on newsgroups. If that's not enough, I'll try and answer any questions you might have about newsgroups.

1. Use the news server maintained by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

how does that work?

it seems very complicated.

j4y3m
02-19-2004, 03:04 PM
I've got ABC and Azureus installed.

Benno
02-19-2004, 04:10 PM
ABC works fine for me, ther is no option to delete a torrent as soon as your done downloading in order to get people to seed ;)

However you can set it to stop after 30minutes or after your ratio reached a certain percentage

DWells55
02-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Thank you 4th gen, but the pop-up window on the web site you likned me to won't load. It says if it won't load to turn off your pop up blocker, and mine is...

BlacKnightSC
02-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Right now im switching off between ABC and Torrent Storm for my 100+ meg downloads...I dunno, im leaning towards torrent storm being the better of the two. I still use shareaza for small torrents like tv episodes.

iamtheoneandonlyone
02-20-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't use any of those clients. I use PTC...(Personal Torrent Colector)

Wizzandabe
02-20-2004, 11:08 AM
ABC. Try it, you wont change. Garentee.

Bebi
02-20-2004, 11:54 AM
I find torrentopia to be the fastest client I have came across sofar.

dragon_son
02-21-2004, 09:24 AM
abc
shadows
torrenttopia
azrus
torrentstorm
ptc

however i feel that abc is the best

i think that they should come up with a new client and a new tracker
and call them secure bittorrent and secure tracker

where you could not get the details of the people you were connected to and it encrypted the data transfers so that it could not be read sure that would slow down the transfer rates a lil but i think it would catch on

hans_maulwurf
02-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I use Azureus and i love it!!! But has anyone got an idea how to use the IP blocker?
Is there some kind of an IP Blocker Updater as in KazaaLite? That would make Bittorrent at least a bit more secure