PDA

View Full Version : Monitors

Keikan
02-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Today in school my teacher said that it's healthier for your eyes to sit in front of the mon with all the lights out than it is with the lights on, is this true? I think my teacher is bullshittin' ;)

DarthInsinuate
02-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by some website i ripped off
It is a simple matter of physics. If the pupils are small, the eyes can scan the screen and work area without the need constantly to adjust the focus. As the pupils dilate to admit more light, they have to focus more precisely.

So, inadequate lighting forces your eyes to maintain accurate focus. The eyes do this automatically but the muscles will fatigue. You might also end up adopting an inappropriate position to accommodate your tired eyes.

The scientifically curious could look at a posh camera from the days before auto-focus. There was a complex engraving on top of the lens that allowed the picture-taker to see what would be in focus. With a pinhole almost everything is in focus but open up the lens to let more light in and the depth of field is dramatically reduced. (Squinting is one way we adopt of improving focus by increasing the depth of field).

But more light is not automatically better. If your computer screen looks washed out it is probably because there is too much direct light falling onto the screen. Too much lighting can cause glare or reflection. Both may lead to eye strain and headaches

:shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit:

tralalala
02-21-2004, 12:36 PM
that is simply crap... tell you what... if she thinks shes so smart, tell her to try sitting in front of the monitor without any lights on for 2 whole hours, and if her eyes dont hurt, give her a dollar, and if they do, you get a dollar :D

tralalala :lol:

100%
02-21-2004, 01:05 PM
If you turn off your monitor and stare at it for two hours
what happens?

do you see dollars?

Evil Gemini
02-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I usually have the lites off while staring at my monitor for ages and then my bro would turn on the lights and everything BUT the monitor turns green for a while :unsure:

tralalala
02-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@21 February 2004 - 15:05
If you turn off your monitor and stare at it for two hours
what happens?

do you see dollars?
lol, if your talking about the teacher cheating.. then do it at school :lol: :lol:

tralalala