PDA

View Full Version : Direct Connect/dc++ Crappy Speeds, Why?

Schmiggy_JK23
03-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Any one use dc++ or direct connect? For some reason, your downloads decrease as yours uploads increase. Or say you are surfing, or running klite, or something, just uploading, it still drops the dowload speeds.

Is this a problem with the code? I dont get why this happens, seems like quite the anomaly when it comes to file sharing.

danne
03-06-2003, 01:09 PM
You should head over to the dc++ forum ;) http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/forum/

However, if you use ADSL the problem is due to the nature os asynchronuos transfer (or so I have come to understand it). In DC++ the upload speed is always maxed out, if the other end can download at that speed (if you have more than one slot you bet you that someone can do that) and this affects your download speed. In the official dc++ you can't limit your upload speed at all, there are versions out there with upload limiting.

My problem with dc++ was due to my upload being maxxed out and my NAT dropping the call to my adsl provider, causeing me to get a new ip. Since I want to run as active, I then had the wrong IP stored in dc++ = I couldn't download anything. I have tried with a version with upload limiting, and it did the trick for me (I don't remember where to get it, but check their forum)

HTH

Schmiggy_JK23
03-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info. It is seriously annoying, to want to share, and spread the goods, but at the major cost of your own speeds. Ill have to check on that version with the upload limiter.

Amarjit
03-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Hmmm...interesting...

ADSL is usually rated around 512Kbps downstream which is around 64 KB/s and 256Kbps upstream (32 KB/s).

danne
03-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Well, here (in sweden) at least all ADSL services I have looked at are at LEAST 512Kbps bothway. Mine is 512/512. There are of course faster as well, but I haven't found a way to convince my job that I need a faster line ;) (yes, they are paying for my connection since I do a lot of work from home so I don't have to go to the office every day =) )

Dieselpower
03-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by danne@7 March 2003 - 21:26
Well, here (in sweden) at least all ADSL services I have looked at are at LEAST 512Kbps bothway. Mine is 512/512. There are of course faster as well, but I haven't found a way to convince my job that I need a faster line ;) (yes, they are paying for my connection since I do a lot of work from home so I don't have to go to the office every day =) )
I wish I had your job, man... :lol: