100%
02-25-2004, 12:50 AM
If i am to read or buy any book i always read the first paragraph
if it dont work.....it dont
if it does i read it

you agree?

Cognition
02-26-2004, 07:41 AM
No not really, a first paragraph is not necessarily the essence of the whole book whether in theme or style.

For instance some books, I need to read 20 pages or a few chapters and then realise while partially interested dont believe the time spent will be well spent. Likewise some books I only read the 'interesting parts'. So it all depends.

And if you happen to be reading philosophy the first paragraph may well be the most interesting (or readable) part whereas the remainder will be an exercise in masochism.

uNz[i]
02-26-2004, 07:57 AM
I hate starting a book and then not finishing it.

I know whether I'm going to enjoy a book or merely tolerate it by the end of the first chapter, usually.
It'd have to suck pretty badly for me to abandon reading after only 1 chapter though.

Randomblonde
02-27-2004, 04:11 AM
I find I open it at a random page and read some dialogue. Its usually fairly easy to tell if its well written or not. But like the above, it'd have to be pretty hideous for me to stop reading in the middle of the book.

100%
02-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Found some first google Paragraphs(sentences)
i would read the first and ray bradbury just for its start - the bible has sensational start maybe would read it if it was just a novel... (have read it)- the jane austen i was forced to read and (i reallly dislike her-even though shes into female freedom-its supposed to be the "best" intro to a book...)

"'Tis a pity she's a whore,'" the Marine said. (William Tuning, Fuzzy Bones).    ;)

Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith. (Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land).&nbsp; <_<

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. (Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice ).&nbsp; :bag:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (The Gospel According to St. John, The Holy Bible).&nbsp; :ph34r:

It was a pleasure to burn. (Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451).&nbsp; ;)

It all began one night when an old, tired wind was walking widdershins around the world. (Joseph E. Kelleam, When the Red King Woke). :x

Keikan
02-27-2004, 11:49 PM
I usally read the summary, if the summary is good then I read it :01: