PDA

View Full Version : Linux Move To Linux

Livy
03-07-2004, 09:15 PM
just about to move to linux on my laptop, ive decided to go with mandrake, i have 10rc1 and im getting mandranke 10 community.

but im just wondering whats the best way to partition my drive, its currentlt in 2 partitions, main one about 9gigs. and 2nd (10gig)for downloads etc,

so is it better to put the linux partition at the end of the drive? im gonna make it about 5gig

LSA
03-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Just leave 5gigs unallocated, the mandrake installer should take care of the rest.

It would probably be easiest to rezize all of your partitions with partition magic.

Livy
03-08-2004, 12:47 AM
yeah thats what im gonna do, take 5 gigs from main partition, and put it at the end.

what type of partition should i make it aswell though? make the 1st partition primary, and he rest of the space logical? and fiel partition and linux as logical drives?

or make them all primary?

LSA
03-08-2004, 01:26 AM
I am not quite sure what logical and primary are, I have an idea but don't really know what they are. :"> Probably should find out before I install Slack, if I ever find it :lol:

What I did was just resize my existing windows partitions, and let the linux installer use 'free space'. Mandrake probably has a similar option, but you should probably wait until someone more experienced comes here :">

Livy
03-08-2004, 01:28 AM
ill at least make the partition, thats the long part, its quick enough to convert from a logical dos drive to a primary partition

edit http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file...ad-CD1.i586.iso (http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso)

would that be mandrake 10, or is it slightly different since its saying community?

or is that just because its only meant for contributing members

LSA
03-08-2004, 01:46 AM
I really doubt you have to do all of that. Just resize your existing partitions and leave 5 gigs unallocated. The linux installer will take care of the rest.

Don't make a partition.

If I am wrong about this tell me

Livy
03-08-2004, 02:12 AM
not sure, but just for saftey i will actually make it a partition, but not format it.

i need to do it using partition magic anyway, as i gotta move the 5 gigs free space from my system partition, to the end of the drive, which means its gotta move my downloads partition down the drive by 5gigs.

althought i could always just leave it unallocated,

im waiting till my downloads finish anyway,

:D LOTR:ROTK :D