PDA

View Full Version : Adsl Modems

Dray_04
03-08-2004, 09:03 AM
yeah hi,

im about to go from a 56k modem, to BB speeds :) :) :)

but im not really aware of what to look for when it comes to purchasing an adsl modem...

whats the difference between an internal modem and USB?

should i pay extra for a router?

:music1:

delphin460
03-08-2004, 09:07 AM
the best bet is to get a single port ethernet adsl modem ( external )

I personaly dont like internal adsl modems, as you cant see the traffic lights ect

they cost a bit more than a usb one but its much better

no need to get a 4 port modem router unless you have a network with 3 comps or more

Dray_04
03-08-2004, 09:35 AM
nah i dont need to get a 4 port modem cause i already haave an 8 port switch. B)

any brands in particular that you would recommend? :01:

Dray_04
03-08-2004, 09:38 AM
how does this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/0002-0358-0125-/auction-9484612.htm) sound?

lynx
03-08-2004, 01:12 PM
A usb modem will only work successfully for a single pc. If you've got multiple pc's (which I assume you have since you've already got a switch) and you want them all to be able to use the internet then you really need a router. Because you also need a modem I suggest you get a combined modem router.

I've got the 4 port version of this (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48448) which is actually made by Origo. You can probably find it in NZ.

But if you only want access for a single pc (or you are going to install some routing software) then the one you've shown should be fine.

delphin460
03-08-2004, 01:16 PM
hmm , ok here is exactly what i run

a single port ethernet modem

which plugs into my main pc

the pc has 2 ethernet cards

the second card plugs into my switch

all the other comps run of that

simple

all i was saying is dont get a usb or internal

get a stand alone single port ethernet

and everything works a ok

Virtualbody1234
03-08-2004, 01:30 PM
I have to agree. Get an external ethernet modem. Much more flexible.

On top of that, your motherboard has a built in ethernet port so use it.

Stay away from internal or usb.

3RA1N1AC
03-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by lynx@8 March 2004 - 05:12
A usb modem will only work successfully for a single pc. If you've got multiple pc's (which I assume you have since you've already got a switch) and you want them all to be able to use the internet then you really need a router. Because you also need a modem I suggest you get a combined modem router.
good point. a switch will handle the local network aspect, but if you wanna connect multiple comps to the internet a router is the way to go. like lynx suggested, a modem with a router built in should do just fine... but if you can't get one of those, you can use a regular ethernet modem plus a one-port router connected to the switch that you already own.

the router stands in for a PC, connecting & logging in to your ISP account, and it manages the traffic between your LAN and the internet. some people get confused about the difference between a router and a switch, because routers typically come with a multi-port switch built in (but there is such a thing as a router without a built-in switch).

tesco
03-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+8 March 2004 - 08:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 8 March 2004 - 08:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@8 March 2004 - 05:12
A usb modem will only work successfully for a single pc. If you&#39;ve got multiple pc&#39;s (which I assume you have since you&#39;ve already got a switch) and you want them all to be able to use the internet then you really need a router. Because you also need a modem I suggest you get a combined modem router.
good point. a switch will handle the local network aspect, but if you wanna connect multiple comps to the internet a router is the way to go. like lynx suggested, a modem with a router built in should do just fine... but if you can&#39;t get one of those, you can use a regular ethernet modem plus a one-port router connected to the switch that you already own.

the router stands in for a PC, connecting & logging in to your ISP account, and it manages the traffic between your LAN and the internet. some people get confused about the difference between a router and a switch, because routers typically come with a multi-port switch built in (but there is such a thing as a router without a built-in switch). [/b][/quote]
i wanna add that with a switch or a hub all of your computers are seen by your ISP and some ISPs (rogers for example) charge an extra fee for each extra computer connected. With a router the ISP will think there is only one pc and they wont charge an extra fee. that is what i had to do.

i have one NIC in each computer, and they both plug into the LAN port of my router, i also have my ps2 plugged into the router. And my cable modem is plugged into the WAN port of my router.

Amarjit
03-08-2004, 05:33 PM
If you want both the maximum speed speed and best value go for PCI (Internal). For £23, I got an ADSL PCI PPPoA WAN modem, a microfilter and one RJ-11 cable.

Since PCI modems utilise an internal bus, they have lower latency rates compared to that of external modem (Ethernet, USB 1.1), meaning faster speeds. Also, if you don&#39;t something cluttering up your desk and annoyingly flashing, which can be achieved with the PCI Modem&#39;s software, then get PCI. Also, do what I did: remove the V.92 56K modem occupying a PCI slot and replace it with the ADSL one. Follow the instructions - it&#39;s dead easy&#33;

Dray_04
03-08-2004, 10:31 PM
thanks for the advise guys....

however im still confused to whether or not i should go for the external ethernet modem like most of you said or the PCI modem that Amarjit recommended

If you want both the maximum speed speed and best value go for PCI (Internal). For £23, I got an ADSL PCI PPPoA WAN modem, a microfilter and one RJ-11 cable.

that sounds good doesnt it?

i dont need a router at the moment because im still at home but once every blue moon my mates bring ther PCs around and we go nuts on out LAN games :P

when i move outta home i will look into getting a router with my flat mates but this isnt important at the moment. i just want a single adsl modem

tesco
03-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by dray_02@8 March 2004 - 17:31
thanks for the advise guys....

however im still confused to whether or not i should go for the external ethernet modem like most of you said or the PCI modem that Amarjit recommended

i dont need a router at the moment because im still at home but once every blue moon my mates bring ther PCs around and we go nuts on out LAN games :P

when i move outta home i will look into getting a router with my flat mates but this isnt important at the moment. i just want a single adsl modem
dont most isp&#39;s GIVE you a modem? im pretty sure that bell over here in canada does, nobody do that where u live?

edit: i would buy teh external modem you arent going to notice a speed difference and it will save you having to buy a new external modem in the future when you get a router (when u get a router you WILL want an external modem, a router can automatically sign into the dsl service for you and then you wont have to have a server for the internet to work)

Amarjit
03-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@8 March 2004 - 22:35
dont most isp&#39;s GIVE you a modem? im pretty sure that bell over here in canada does, nobody do that where u live?
That&#39;s on the condition that your ISP is inflexible - a prime example being BT.

Merely very good. It comprises of the essentials to accessing the internet via DSL.

BTW, the decision of purchasing a router at a later date is not influenced upon the condition of being in possession of an internal/external modem, as the vast majority of routers are readily equipped with DSL modems.

In addition, if your scenario is of similarity to that of mine, in being in ownership of a fairly dated motherboard, then you&#39;re likely to be in a situation of merely benefitting from a 10.24Mbps Ethernet NIC rather than 102.4/1024Mbps one, which has no triumphing benefit over USB. USB is subsequently rivalled by opposing PCI modems which attract the consumer in being reputable for ease of use, performance, practicality. What significant usage is there of a narrowband modem incoviniently occupying a PCI slot, which potentially could be replaced by a superior device.

I hope this helps, for a cheap PCI modem: http://search.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_Pci_modem_adsl.html